What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I disagree. Skyfall might not be to everyone's tastes, but it's hardly generic.

SPECTRE gets closer to that description though.

Don't listen to this, it's the other way around!

:music:Brainstorm - James Horner

I disagree. Skyfall might not be to everyone's tastes, but it's hardly generic.

SPECTRE gets closer to that description though.

Don't listen to this, it's the other way around!

Lies! Do not let him deceive you!

The only score from 2015 I even remember was Jurassic World, and the only bits I really remember were the lifts from the first score.

Pathetic year.

The best score so far this year is Sponge Out of Water, which kicks ass.

Z for Zachariah is nothing ground-breaking, but is a very solid dramatic score.

It's not much compared to the original, but Streitenfeld's work for the Poltergeist remake is still pretty good, if not up to Goldsmith's standard.

Fortunately, we've still got Williams, Shore, and Mansell scores to look forward to.

On the other hand there has been again a flood of excellent releases of older scores.

Yes! The future of film music lies in its past!

Right! Cast your eyes into the past my friends! There awaits the future in the comforting sounds of the yesteryear.

Rubbish! The future is named Holkenborg!

And it looks ugly!

I always knew some kind of borg would take over, as in some cyborg. I just didn't know it was called Holken.

Bridge of Spies by Thomas Newman: It is nice but still doesn't fully convince me. It is all a tad too polite.

Spectre by Thomas Newman: After a full listen of the album I unfortunately cannot remember much beyond a few quotes of the Monty Norman theme. A lot of stabbing busy modern Newman action material seemed to pass my ears frequently and then a lot of atmospheric mood painting where a lot less happened. I have to give it another spin to delve deeper into this one. Perhaps the second or third round yields something that latches on my memory.

:music:Karaoke & Cold Lazarus by Christopher Gunning

Thomas Newman - SPECTRE

For a little while, I thought this was definitely going to be much better than Skyfall, and a decent score overall. But then the album just kept going, and going, and going. This album is SO, SO LONG, and FEELS it. Any highlights are drowned out by huge swaths of completely forgettable underscore. Oh well.

Thomas Newman - Bridge of Spies

I'm really warming up to this score a lot! The problem with it is the middle; It opens and ends strong, but absolutely nothing happens in the middle. It's all so meaningly, you almost forget you even have music playing. But boy, the final ~15 minutes or so of the album is strong, strong stuff. I anticipate I'll only like it more once I've seen the film.

You stole my post Inky!!

Bridge of Spies by Thomas Newman

It continues to grow on me. Classy stuff.

SPECTRE by Thomas Newman

Meh. Better, the second time around, but not quite doing it for me. Again, has some great bits in it, but it's really just thriller Newman with obligatory Bond references (even the classic Bond lick at the end was stale). Whereas Skyfall felt like Newman actually doing a Bond score. Maybe I'm just disappointed with how much this score relies on Skyfall material.

But boy, the final ~15 minutes or so of the album is strong, strong stuff. I anticipate I'll only like it more once I've seen the film.

But a lot of that are just variations of Skyfall material, particularly the riff from "The Moors".

But boy, the final ~15 minutes or so of the album is strong, strong stuff. I anticipate I'll only like it more once I've seen the film.

But a lot of that are just variations of Skyfall material, particularly the riff from "The Moors".

I think you need to adjust your reading glasses!! How embarassing for you!

Bridge of Spies by Thomas Newman: It is nice but still doesn't fully convince me. It is all a tad too polite.

You prefer scores that are rude?

No something with a bit more bite and zest.

In comparison the throwback score The Good German from Newman functions in somewhat similar parameters as Bridge of Spies but is knowingly more old fashioned yet it remains a much more engaging work.

Bridge of Spies was the first Thomas Newman album I ever listened to other than Skyfall, so I had nothing really to compare it to. The beginning and end of the album always grabbed me, and the middle was always boring. After 4 listens now, I like the beginning and end even more each time, but the middle is still completely forgettable. Luckily the album is short, so the middle is over before you know it. Those Bond albums he puts together go on and on!

You've only heard Bond and BoS from Newman? You should fix that Jay!

Post haste!

Karaoke & Cold Lazarus by Christopher Gunning

I've seen plenty of films he's scored and heard a bunch of random tracks, but I don't own any of his OSTs, no.

Fix it!!

Take your pick!

Shawshank Redemption

Angels in America

The Good German

Meet Joe Black

Series of Unfortunate Events

Back To The Future II (Intrada)

The problem with the BTTF scores has always been for me is that they feature one of the most exciting and adventurous themes of the 80"s, or of all times, and a load of other music.

Part II has some excellent statements of the theme, and the rest of the score is a mixture of faux-mickey mousing and extreme histrionics. Often fun, funny, sometimes exciting. But none of it actually goes anywhere, really develops or varies much throughout the score.

The OST used to bore me after a while, this one does the exact same, but more because it has more music. In the film it's works brilliantly. but on it's own it just can't sustain my attention in the bits where the theme isnt given another workout.

The best part is the western theme Silvestri introduces right before the end credits. It's fantastic! (and sadly underused in part III)

Good film score, not a great listen by any means.

** out of ****

Danny Elfman - Mission: Impossible

Pardon my french, but I fucking love the shit out of this score. Five stars out of five stars, it has everything. I want a specialty label to give it the expansion it deserves!

Danny Elfman - Mission: Impossible

Pardon my french, but I fucking love the shit out of this score. Five stars out of five stars, it has everything. I want a specialty label to give it the expansion it deserves!

It was my favorite M:I score until Joe Kraemer's hit this year. Elfman's is very underrated, and one of the last scores that sounds like his "early, busier" stuff (Black Beauty, Batman, etc) before it was "streamlined". (Goldsmith went the same way around the same time - tired of fighting all the sound effects in big action pictures, I think).

I was listening to Joel Goldsmith's Stargate: Continuum earlier. It makes me wish that more of his SG1 music would come out.

Part II has some excellent statements of the theme, and the rest of the score is a mixture of faux-mickey mousing and extreme histrionics. Often fun, funny, sometimes exciting. But none of it actually goes anywhere, really develops or varies much throughout the score.

The OST used to bore me after a while, this one does the exact same, but more because it has more music. In the film it's works brilliantly. but on it's own it just can't sustain my attention in the bits where the theme isnt given another workout.

That's what I'm expecting. How's the sound though? At least that might be a massive improvement over the old release?

WOW!
The new BTTF2 set sounds AMAZING! Light years better than the original OST! I dunno what happened there! There music was obviously recorded just fine!

Fix it!!

Take your pick!

Shawshank Redemption

Angels in America

The Good German

Meet Joe Black

Series of Unfortunate Events

Of those, I'd say that "Shawshank", ans "Angels" are essential Newman, but there is some nice stuff on "Joe Black" ("Peanut Butter Man", and "Cold Lamb Sandwich") Don't listen to that "Wizard Of Oz" song without supply of insulin standing-by.

No love for "American Beauty", or "Red Corner", KK?

American Beauty is a Newman classic! But I was trying to pick scores that would appeal more to Jay.

Haven't heard Red Corner actually.

Christophe Beck - Ant-man

OK, ok - I'm warming up to this one. It actually has an almost-catchy main-theme (I had it in my head while listening to the album; It's already gone now), and some fun orchestration - it largely sounds like a classicly orchestral score, rarely sounding like a modern RCP score. I have a feeling that after seeing the film, I could end up liking this one a lot.

Daniel Pemberton - The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

Not bad... but not great. Like Ant-man it has a lot going for it, including a generally more "classic" sound, but never elevates to any kind of greatness. It's lacking a strong main theme (in fact, I couldn't tell you if this score had any themes at all after one listen), but does feature a lot of really fun orchestration... at first. That's another problem, the album starts of strong, a lot of fun orchestration, and variety.... but then it doesn't go anyway. The rest is all rehashes of the same stuff, until by the digital bonus tracks its just stock RCP stuff. Shame. Is the film even worth seeing?

Christophe Beck - Ant-man

OK, ok - I'm warming up to this one. It actually has an almost-catchy main-theme (I had it in my head while listening to the album; It's already gone now), and some fun orchestration - it largely sounds like a classicly orchestral score, rarely sounding like a modern RCP score. I have a feeling that after seeing the film, I could end up liking this one a lot.

Good, good...

Daniel Pemberton - The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

Is the film even worth seeing?

It's OK, though not as fun as the trailers made it out to be.

- Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
- Amazing Stories: The Mission
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- Star Wars

Up next: Superman The Movie and The Empire Strikes Back Symphonic Suite conducted by Charles Gerhardt

WOW!
The new BTTF2 set sounds AMAZING! Light years better than the original OST! I dunno what happened there! There music was obviously recorded just fine!

Good. I missed that.