Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

John Crichton

- Neville saving the day felt completely right

It felt awfully wrong to me. Just-in-time ... that was such a cheap thing to do.

Yeah, I definitely would've preferred Neville killing the snake after he gave that speech to Voldemort. Or better yet, skip the speech, pretend he's turning to the dark side, get an awkward hug from Voldemort, and then kill Nagini.

Or better yet: give the speech, kill the snake and kill Voldemort. And Harry says: "It's good a get this Deus Ex Machina option in every movie".

Karol

:lol:

Anybody think it weird that despite Voldemort's admiration for Snape, he decideds to kill him in one of the most slow and painful methods ever? And on top of that, he lets the snake actually kill him, even though the entire point of having Snape dead is so Voldemort can have killed him.

It felt awfully wrong to me. Just-in-time ... that was such a cheap thing to do.

Yeah, I definitely would've preferred Neville killing the snake after he gave that speech to Voldemort. Or better yet, skip the speech, pretend he's turning to the dark side, get an awkward hug from Voldemort, and then kill Nagini.

Or better yet: give the speech, kill the snake and kill Voldemort. And Harry says: "It's good a get this Deus Ex Machina option in every movie".

Karol

Anybody think it weird that despite Voldemort's admiration for Snape, he decideds to kill him in one of the most slow and painful methods ever? And on top of that, he lets the snake actually kill him, even though the entire point of having Snape dead is so Voldemort can have killed him.

no, voldemort was in control the whole time.

Karol

The snake is Voldemort in a way...but I get your point. Anyway, I am glad Voldemort didn't say: "Nagini...dinner!" :)

Honestly, I think Snape's death scene was very ingeniously filmed and very powerful, with the banging against the glass windows. It gave me chills.

The problem with Voldemort's death in the film (I haven't read the book) is that it looks like Neville killed him. Because no matter how many colourful light effects you use, wand duels are not very cinematic. It's just two guys holding the stick and not moving much. And you can't really tell what happened, unless you read the book. For a casual viewer he dies at the moment the snake dies.

Karol

The problem with Voldemort's death in the film (I haven't read the book) is that it looks like Neville killed him. Because no matter how many colourful light effects you use, wand duels are not very cinematic. It's just two guys holding the stick and not moving much. And you can't really tell what happened, unless you read the book. For a casual viewer he dies at the moment the snake dies.

Karol

Yes exactly that was what I was thinking as well. I think that was even the intention of the filmmakers! How wrong. Hey, on second thought, it fits the prophecy :D

However, I do think the duals are cinematic with all those colors. They are the modern equivalent of Erroll Flynn sword fighting or SW lightsaber fighting. The first Voldemort-Harry encounters, after Harry escapes, are very dynamic, IMO.

I think that's what makes it unique. It feels like something important is happening. I wouldn't want Nicholas Hooper all over it.

Karol

I thought it was great, but I didn't think any performance was Oscar worthy. I mean, really? :blink:

yes, Rickman's performance is worthy. If Frances Mcdormand gets one for Fargo then Alan Rickman is worthy.

btw having seen the film twice I saw that in Harry and Voldemorts last duel you can see Harry's wand overpowers the elderwand. I didn't catch it the first time, but watched for it the 2nd time.

Absence of music still bothers me.. can't help it

In the OotP duel you mean? Yes it's a big miss.

I thought it was great, but I didn't think any performance was Oscar worthy. I mean, really? :blink:

yes, Rickman's performance is worthy. If Frances Mcdormand gets one for Fargo then Alan Rickman is worthy.

I honestly think Ralph Fiennes deserves one. He really gets the most possible out of his character. Operatic.

I honestly think Ralph Fiennes deserves one. He really gets the most possible out of his character. Operatic.

I still think he is best in Goblet.

As for Rickman, if it were series-wise I would be inclined to agree. But he was in this film how long? 8 minutes? But considering Judi Dench and HER Oscar, I will admit I see it as a possibility.

I still think he is best in Goblet.

As for Rickman, if it were series-wise I would be inclined to agree. But he was in this film how long? 8 minutes? But considering Judi Dench and HER Oscar, I will admit I see it as a possibility.

Yes Fiennes was great in Goblet as well. This movie is the first one where he really shines sinces that one.

Although Snape is my favorite character of the series (books and films), the problem with Rickman's portrayal is that it is a bit constrained, because of the complexity of the character but also because of the shield of manierism that restricts him a bit.

Karol

The snake is Voldemort in a way...but I get your point. Anyway, I am glad Voldemort didn't say: "Nagini...dinner!" :)

Honestly, I think Snape's death scene was very ingeniously filmed and very powerful, with the banging against the glass windows. It gave me chills.

Yeah, the scene was incredibly powerful and gruesome, and I loved it in the film. I guess it'll just be one of those moments that doesn't make sense but is incredibly effective. And it's not the filmmakers fault, as these flaws were also in the book.

This movie was alright.

Everything seemed to move too fast. Moments weren't given enough time to breathe. The cheese factor as a result was way too high. Scenes that should have had gravity seemed awkward.

In my opinion, it was quite the opposite. For the fist time since PoA (or GoF if you're feeling generous), I felt the movie's most poignant moments took their time to be set up and then digested.

Maybe it's because I barely remember the plot in the books that I'm willing to be more receptive towards the films' inner logic. (Which is a contradiction in terms -- these films barely even try to work as separate entities from either the film saga or the books themselves, so there is no cinematographic ground to defend in the first place.)

In my opinion, it was1 quite the opposite. For the fist time since PoA (or GoF if you're feeling generous), I felt the movie's most poignant moments took their time to be set up and then digested.

Absolutely! :up:

In my opinion, it was1 quite the opposite. For the fist time since PoA (or GoF if you're feeling generous), I felt the movie's most poignant moments took their time to be set up and then digested.

I agree, almost all of the key scenes were gripping and satisfying.

I already posted this in the Potter thread, but I thought it belonged better here.

DH 2 score:

- Alexandre Desplat is no John Williams. Not technically, but also not regarding the flow of music. Yet this is one of his best scores to date. The music is much better than Part 1. Desplat at moments even imitated Williams in style, e.g. in the vault scene and during some of the battle scenes. Also there is much more music, more underscore, which felt good. The main problem is that Desplat lets the tension go too quickly, e.g. after the dragon escape, but most obviously after the pensieve scene when Harry is contemplating. Music here was absolutely necessary.

- JW's theme is used properly and although I am a hardcore JW fan, and to my own surprise, I felt more of it wasn't needed. I do think however that because of its use, this film finally felt like a HP movie again.

it makes sense to anyone but you

It makes sense why Voldemort decides to magically stab and subject to brutal, slow, and probably painful snake bites a person he trusted probably more than anyone else and could have easily killed in a painless second with Avada Kedavra?

And maybe Voldemort was the snake, but if I had lost control of the Elder Wand do to some silly technicality over who killed Dumbledore, I would do the cautious thing and kill Snape myself, just to be sure.

Was Desplat's Death Eater theme used in DHP2 at all? I don't remember hearing it.

It makes sense why Voldemort decides to magically stab and subject to brutal, slow, and probably painful snake bites a person he trusted probably more than anyone else and could have easily killed in a painless second with Avada Kedavra?

Voldemort also doesn't use the Avada Kedavra in his final duel with Harry, even though it would be quite important for the audience to know what happens.

btw having seen the film twice I saw that in Harry and Voldemorts last duel you can see Harry's wand overpowers the elderwand. I didn't catch it the first time, but watched for it the 2nd time.

Yes, you see it.

And that kind of devalues the entire point of the plot, that the Elder Wand is instructed to kill his owner (Harry) and backfires on Voldemort.

The movie presents the scene as if Harry indeed does overpower the Elder Wand, which isn't correct.

If Voldy had used avada kedavra, Snape would have been instantly killed and wouldnt have been able to give Harry his silvery tears. See? It makes perfect sense. ;)

Well yeah, I understand it in THAT sense :P

Voldemort also doesn't use the Avada Kedavra in his final duel with Harry, even though it would be quite important for the audience to know what happens.

Yes he does. He doesn't say those words, but that's the spell he's using.

I agree, almost all of the key scenes were gripping and satisfying.

Agreed as well. The exception, of course, was the death of Fred Weasley. Huge missed opportunity, I felt. In the book, you had this incredibly powerful moment where he makes what turned out to be his final joke, and then out of nowhere, the explosion, and he's gone. Plus you get all these descriptions in the narration, like "the world had stopped spinning, so why did the battle continue on?", along with Percy and Ron absolutely losing it. It's such a moving scene, as written, and could have been even better on film, especially if they had altered it to include George, as well. But instead, it was all reduced in the film to a single mourning scene - which only lasted about 30 seconds and just focused on Ron - and then but a single, quick mention by Neville afterward. How many people who hadn't read the book would have even known it was Fred? :(

I was kinda disappointed they killed of David Thewlis offscreen. He was probably my favorite character in the series. You would think they could have put in some kind of fitting last stand moment in the battle montage or something.

So quick question...

Is there any record of Jo Rowling ever talking about John Williams and/or Hedwigs Theme? Maybe some interview in the first film?

It's very curious because I honestly can't recall her ever mentioning the man or his work for her stories. She of course, made Harry Potter a phenomenon, but John Williams made Harry Potter iconic.

How would the audience know?

I think that scene is filmed in an unfortunate way.

Even though it is revealed that Harry is the wand's true master, Voldemort still - as Snape points out - performs great magic with it.

And since it's never made clear that the wand backfires, it looks as if Harry genuinely overpowers Voldemort.

Oh yeah, I agree. I thought you were trying to say that Voldemort doesn't actually use the killing curse.

Speaking off deaths that could've been milked more, how about Bellatrix's? I wanted to see some emotional anger or surprise or hatred in Bellatrix's face, but we couldn't because they had to make it into a cool effects moment. I was disappointed at that.

How would the audience know?

I think that scene is filmed in an unfortunate way.

Even though it is revealed that Harry is the wand's true master, Voldemort still - as Snape points out - performs great magic with it.

And since it's never made clear that the wand backfires, it looks as if Harry genuinely overpowers Voldemort.

I think the most unsatisfying aspect of the sequence is that, now he literally owns the wand, and after all this talk of the Deathly Hallows and invincibility, Harry will finally use it to kill Voldemort. But before he can do so, Voldemort is gone already.

So given the current trend of movies....how long before Harry Potter gets rebooted you guys think? =P

Tom Felton already has expressed his interest in a cameo for the upcoming remakes.

She of course, made Harry Potter a phenomenon, but John Williams made Harry Potter iconic.

You are joking, right?

I was kinda disappointed they killed of David Thewlis offscreen. He was probably my favorite character in the series. You would think they could have put in some kind of fitting last stand moment in the battle montage or something.

For the films they have long since decided, ruthlessly so to cut out anything in the books not pertaining to the main plot or Harry, Ron and Hermione.

This why why the supporting characters after their initial film that introduces them, they are given the shaft.

People love Lupin because of POA, there's no reason to love the character because of any of the other films.

I'm staggered some of the actors continued to show up. I mean Gary Oldman has 3 lines in this film???

She of course, made Harry Potter a phenomenon, but John Williams made Harry Potter iconic.

You are joking, right?

For the films they have long since decided, ruthlessly so to cut out anything in the books not pertaining to the main plot or Harry, Ron and Hermione.

This why why the supporting characters after their initial film that introduces them, they are given the shaft.

People love Lupin because of POA, there's no reason to love the character because of any of the other films.

I'm staggered some of the actors continued to show up. I mean Gary Oldman has 3 lines in this film???

So, are you saying you would rather not have seen any of the supporting characters return in the last movie?

Yates decided to focus on Harry's story in all of his films - the supporting characters are simply there to make plot points happen. It's logical and necessary to make such complex books simple enough for two-hour rides.

Hence, we only need to see Lupin's and Fred's corpses (as opposed to seeing their deaths). It's the effect their deaths have of Harry what matters, not how they happened, what matters.

Have you reviewed the movie Marc?

So, are you saying you would rather not have seen any of the supporting characters return in the last movie?

Were did I say that?

But it's just a bit sad. Lupin and Sirius were great characters in POA, so when they reappeared in the fifth film, you sit up! But they do their 3 or 4 lines, and that's it. When Sirius dies, you feel it's done because Harry's anger needs to be enhanced for the next batch of films. It's a plot point. A story beat.

I haven't on this board. I spent about 45 minutes rehashing the film with my friend after it was finished though.

Bottom line: the 3D was pointless and as a standalone film, it's not very good.

Even so, as standalone pictures they were all tons better than Deathly Hallows 2. I had to actively remind myself that this was the closing chapter in an eight-film cycle while watching this one.

Also, the whole Gringotts break-in was pointless. Yes, they got another Horcrux, but we never had any idea about the why or how and it missed the tension that was in the novel. It was just another setpiece that was in the movie for the sole reason that it was in the book. Like pretty much everything in this movie.

What I wondered during the last few films is why Voldemort would put his soul in what are apparently random objects laying around the house. A book, a diadeem, a locket etc... It's like me putting part of my soul into my remote control and a pair of sunglasses.

It makes more sense if you know some of the objects were from the different houses.

Also the title of the film, Deathly Hallows barely features in it, like Goblet Of Fire and Half Blood-Prince.

What I wondered during the last few films is why Voldemort would put his soul in what are apparently random objects laying around the house. A book, a diadeem, a locket etc... It's like me putting part of my soul into my remote control and a pair of sunglasses.

Yes, this whole plot point was left out of the films. We never do learn the cup taken from Bellatrix's vault did in fact belong to Helga Hufflepuff.

Come to think of it, I don't think we ever learn that big menacing mansion that Voldy was holed up in in Deathly Hallows part 1 was Malfoy Manor until Harry mentions it by name somewhere in Deathly Hallows part 2!

True, but that can be said of any of the films since POA.

Precisely - which is why they're all weaker as film adaptations than the first three.

It's safe to say that the Harry Potter films from the fourth one on have been saint-like.

Order of the Phoenix is undoubtedly Yates's best effort, but there are still a great many things wrong with it; but summing it up would be just rehashing my review of the latest film - the screenplay not standing on its own, the direction being a bit bland (all the 'original' stuff is even taken straight from Cuaron). They left out why Voldemort wanted to kill Harry in the first place; why Voldemort was after the prophecy; lost the Snape subplot (even though the pay-off is in the last film!); all rather significant plot elements. To boot, personally I also thought all the really interesting stuff was left out: how Harry was marked by choice not by fate; and they had the one chance to have Dumbledore actually not fail at something (rounding up all the Deatheaters - which is the first time in all the books where we really see the power and greatness of the wizard Dumbledore. Now he's in the duel which ends in a tie - after building this guy up for a few films, that's a problem).

I can see where you're coming from. There's a lot more to it in the book.

But despite that, Order of the Phoenix (and Half-Blood Prince as well actually) made me forget about the book and just go with it as a story told through the medium of film.

With Deathly Hallows, you're back to just watching scene after scene from the book transferred directly to the screen, which is what made watching Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets in particular such tedious experiences.

As a fan of the book, it's nice to see all this stuff make it to the big screen. As a fan of good storytelling and movies, the way Deathly Hallows part 2 turned out is just disappointing.

I agree with Fommes on Phoenix being Yate's best. I was considerably more diappointed with Half-Blood Prince, but most likely because it had been my favorite of the books. Deathly Hallows are both fine efforts, but don't stand alone that well. We need a deluxe release "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: The Whole Magical Affair". I think if it were one film, even if very long, with a few minor edits it could be really fantastic.