Best of's 2010

publicist

It is the dreaded time of the year again. Like those unpleasant look back's on TV, soundtrack geekdom has to decide!

Best New Score

A Single Man

The Last Airbender

Alice in Wonderland

Daybreakers

The Ghostwriter

How to train your dragon

Inception (barely)

Karate Kid

Mao's Last Dancer

Tron Legacy (barely)

Wolfman

Best Re-Release

Goldsmith: Islands in the Stream, Going-up of David Lev, The Edge, Star Trek V, First Blood, Poltergeist

Williams: Black Sunday, Family Plot

others i forgot?

Best Film

others can decide, only saw mildly intersting films or really bad ones...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giacchino's Let Me In and Elfman's Wolfman were the two new scores that caught my attention this year.

There were plenty of great re-issues this year from the labels, with some holy grails crossed off my list, but the best is the Spartacus release from Varese.

Films, I don't care anymore.

My picks for scores are right here. I would add Lost 6 soundtracks to the first group as well.

Is it just me or is Mao's Last Dancer a 2009 score? If not, then it goes to the first group as well.

From films I only liked Inception and Shutter Island. Kind of ironic that these were the only ones.

Re-releases: Black Sunday, Batman Returns, Star Trek III. I haven't got Spartcus yet and Family Plot might end up on that list as well.

Karol

Best New Score

- How To Train Your Dragon

- The Wolfman

- The Ghost Writer

- The Karate Kid

- Knight and Day

- The Chronichles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

- True Grit

Best Re-Release

- Family Plot

- Black Sunday

- Back to the Future

Best Film

- The Social Network

- True Grit

- How To Train Your Dragon

- Inception

- Toy Story 3

Why on earth is Tron so popular on this board? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against it, but it seems so far removed from the very essence of this place.

Karol

Why on earth is Tron so popular on this board? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against it, but it seems so far removed from the very essence of this place.

Karol

I'm not sure with others, but a couple of reasons for me. Firstly I like Daft Punk a lot, and I like it when electronics are used with orchestra in interesting ways. That and I love the score to death. Not for a long time has a new score clicked so instantly for me.

John Williams.

Karol

Agreed, it being called jwfan 'an all, but, as fans of films, and film scores, it is sometimes nice to discuss something other than Mr. Williams.

Karol

I'm not sure with others, but a couple of reasons for me. Firstly I like Daft Punk a lot, and I like it when electronics are used with orchestra in interesting ways. That and I love the score to death. Not for a long time has a new score clicked so instantly for me.

Agreed.

John Williams.

Karol

Agreed, it being called jwfan 'an all, but, as fans of films, and film scores, it is sometimes nice to discuss something other than Mr. Williams.

Yeah, I know that. But I find it strange that for the last couple of years (or even more) most of the people here call JW's efforts "tired and boring", scores like HP7 "uninspired and flat" and yet some things like Tron suddenly spark interest. It's quite alarming, if you ask me. It's not that I hate this kind of music or even that it's bad score. That's not my point. It's more about the fact that I see few people here who actually enjoy JW's music as it comes out. Just an observation.

Karol

Best New Score

A Single Man

Maybe a regional thing, but that's 2009. It was nominated for best score at the Globes for 2009, I believe. Still fantastic, however.

Score of the year: Lost Season 6 or Let Me In.

If people call J.W's recent scores "tired and boring", then they are just expressing an opinion. Personally, I think that "Munich" is great, and that both "War Of The Worlds", and "POA" contain some of his best work EVER! Some new scores have a long shelf-life, and some don't. It all depends on the what the posters have to say. That is not to blame the music, at all. I would love jwfan to STOP having a wank-fest over "Hook", and to start discussing genuine masterpieces, such as "Images", "1941", and "Minority Report".

As for TRON, I like it...a lot. Sorry; can't help it. ;)

Karol

I love the main theme, but it's so far removed from a normal score that I have to appreciate it as 'mood' music. I prefer pop music and scores to stay separate for the most part.

I'm with Karol on the whole Tron thing. Hell, even KM liked it, and the score is just Zimmer with more electrical electronics and more orchestral orchestra. I think it's just a human impulse on the board to despise anything with Zimmer's name on it. Oh wait, it's in the Tron booklet ;)

Why is Tron popular?

Because it's practically been almost 7 years since a lot of us have listened to a orchestra/electronic score that we've truly wanted to listen to again and again. It's catchy, distant/fresh, and yet familiar.

It is simply well designed music.

Best New Score:

Tron: Legacy

Best Re-Release:

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Best Film:

Black Swan

Blume's Honorable Mention:

The Social Network (wonderful film, not very accurate, check out the score if you enjoy something outside of the beige box)

Best new scores: How to Train Your Dragon, Harry Potter VII, Karate Kid, The Ghostwriter, Inception[/i], The A-Team.

Best new films: Animal Kingdom, Shutter Island, Winter's Bone, Hadjwich, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, The Robber, Please Give, Kick Ass, Inception, The Social Network....bleak, bleak year. No Inglourious Basterds or Serious Man to spice things up, no outstanding animated films.

Most overrated films: The Social Network, Inception (both good, simple films with interesting ideas that are not written particularly well), and The Kids are All Right (Not a good film at all).

Best film I've seen was Toy Story 3.

I cannot even bring myself to watch those animated flicks anymore. I remember

ALICE IN WONDERLAND, which was a catastrophe.

INCEPTION, which was a nice diversion but nothing more (and i really disliked Hans' fat overproduced score in there, although the idea to make movies as obnoxious as video games on the soundtrack was spot on from a commercial standpoint)

SHUTTER ISLAND, which i liked, because it was like an old Val-Lewton-flick blown up to De Mille proportions. Just a fun movie.

GHOST WRITER was good, but not the kind of film my mind lingers on. Great Desplat for sure.

WOLFMAN, not a good movie, but a lovely one. The photography and the sets very great, as was the score.

I've seen others like HARRY POTTER VII, HARRY BROWN, EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP, PIRANHA 3D and UNSTOPPABLE but i already forgot what i felt about them.

MACHETE and PREDATORS were huge piles of shit as far as i'm concerned (as was PIRANHA, but somehow that escaped my wrath).

Yeah, there are a good dozen films or so I am anticipating...though none of them feel like they might crack the pantheon, which every year should have.

The best storytelling I saw in 2010 was season 3 of Breaking Bad.

Best film I've seen was Toy Story 3.

I cannot even bring myself to watch those animated flicks anymore.

My guess is that he's tired of the yearly Pixar, Dreamworks, et cetera.

Any reason why?

I don't like the aesthetic and Pixar's homespun american stories. I know that this stuff boasts high production values and i instantly would buy a coffee table book with the stills - but other than that, the stories have me just looking at my watch.

As for TRUE GRIT, i'd really like to see that (at the very least for the other Lebowski).

Recently i started to watch MAD MEN and was really entertained by it. Before that i saw HUNG (Thomas Jane and his oversized penis) and apart from the goofy premise, it was entertaining in a messy sort of way. I also liked THE PACIFIC and PILLARS OF EARTH. It seems american TV seems more healthy than cinema, actually.

My guess is that he's tired of the yearly Pixar, Dreamworks, et cetera.

I wasn't even reaching as low as the Dreamworks and Fox stuff, which is really a new class of cinematic terror in itself.

I've never seen Ratatouille, Shrek 3, Up, Toy Story 3, How To Tame Your Dragon, The Guardians Of Google, Monsters Inc, ... just to name a few.

Recently i started to watch MAD MEN and was really entertained by it. Before that i saw HUNG (Thomas Jane and his oversized penis) and apart from the goofy premise, it was entertaining in a messy sort of way. I also liked THE PACIFIC and PILLARS OF EARTH. It seems american TV seems more healthy than cinema, actually.

It is, even though Pillars and Pacific are so totally not in the same league as Mad Men.

I've never seen Ratatouille, Shrek 3, Up, Toy Story 3, How To Tame Your Dragon, The Guardians Of Google, Monsters Inc, ... just to name a few.

What would you like engraved on your medal?

"Death to the Mega RAM"...

It is, even though Pillars and Pacific are so totally not in the same league as Mad Men.

They would be twice as good if they actually had good scores. :rolleyes:

Music is part of the overall vision. :P

Alex, you should check out HTTYD because it's an excellent film, not just an excellent animated film. They got Roger Deakins as the DOP in order to ensure that the lighting was a realistic as possible. Same filmmakers as Mulan and what I appreciate about this film in particular is that it achieves an emotional resonance without falling back on tired cliche's. There are some truly poignant moments in the film and John Powell's score. Some excellent editing and framing of characters too. The pacing is excellent as well. It's in my Top 10 films of the past decade easily and it's gaining ground on one of my fave films of all time. Seven Samurai is still my fave mind you but HTTYD is pretty damn great. They just linger on shots, they don't go for the ubiquitous humor in dramatic sequences and regardless of what Roger Ebert claims, there is character development. I've seen it something like 30 times now and it gets better and better with each viewing. It makes my wife cry and she's not prone to being over-emotional when watching films (that's the Japanese in her).

David

Alex, you should check out HTTYD because it's an excellent film, not just an excellent animated film. They got Roger Deakins as the DOP in order to ensure that the lighting was a realistic as possible. Same filmmakers as Mulan and what I appreciate about this film in particular is that it achieves an emotional resonance without falling back on tired cliche's. There are some truly poignant moments in the film and John Powell's score. Some excellent editing and framing of characters too. The pacing is excellent as well. It's in my Top 10 films of the past decade easily and it's gaining ground on one of my fave films of all time. Seven Samurai is still my fave mind you but HTTYD is pretty damn great. They just linger on shots, they don't go for the ubiquitous humor in dramatic sequences and regardless of what Roger Ebert claims, there is character development. I've seen it something like 30 times now and it gets better and better with each viewing. It makes my wife cry and she's not prone to being over-emotional when watching films (that's the Japanese in her).

David

I've seen it and while it certainly brings a lot of distance between itself and the bottom of the barrel (and it looks gorgeous) i found it a bore storywise. Children might enjoy it, though.

Best New Score: Tron: Legacy and LOST: The Last Episodes

Best Re-release: Home Alone and Batman Returns (this was a great year for these)

Best Film: Inception (from what I've seen so far)

I'm with Karol on the whole Tron thing. Hell, even KM liked it, and the score is just Zimmer with more electrical electronics and more orchestral orchestra. I think it's just a human impulse on the board to despise anything with Zimmer's name on it. Oh wait, it's in the Tron booklet ;)

Yeah, there's really nothing special about it.

Maybe it's the best electronic score in the past 7 years, although that's not saying much, but I don't consider it a breakthru or something that will be on everyone's awards list.

Maybe it's the best electronic score in the past 7 years, although that's not saying much, but I don't consider it a breakthru or something that will be on everyone's awards list.

Well, i specifically remember Clint Mansell's THE FOUNTAIN as a more unique quasi-electronic score, there are certainly more, but not attached to such a visible (risible?) movie. DAFT PUNK made an entertaining album (haven't seen the movie) but neither is it original in style nor content. Maybe for people who never listen to this kind of music...