What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

On 10/03/2022 at 3:41 PM, SilverTrumpet said:

New footage and info from Lego Star Wars.

What if this actually ends up being good?

Also, any more theories on how music will be done?

A Star Wars game from Warner? :o:blink:

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Starting Tunic on my Xbox tonight.  It’s the new indie hotness.  Zelda inspired, getting rave reviews.

In the last 18 hours it's all I've heard about, but before that I've never heard of it at all. What put it on people's radars? Did a major publisher push it hard?

Sounds too hardcore difficulty for me these days, given its otherwise lovely art style and cutesy protagonist. I just associate that sort of thing (isometric adventure) with gameplay that is somewhat more laid back and less intensive. When I feel like an actual satisfying challenge in a game I'll eventually just pick up Elden Ring. 

I'm not a huge fan of the isometric view (and classic Zelda is actually top-down anyway), but I enjoyed the hour of Tunic I played last night.  I did die a few times but there's always a checkpoint nearby.  I was having a good time.

I finally got around to installing the necessary prerequisites (CEMU Emulator) and setting everything just right to play Breath of the Wild on my PC, blown up on a 65" C1 OLED displaying at 4k but internally rendering at 5k. It is indeed a spellbinding, if not stupendously flawless (as they say), adventure. It looks beautiful, even by today's standards. Visually almost timeless, quite possibly. So I've been chilling in the evenings, slowly making my way through the game. It's a very relaxing pastime, chipping away at the serenely paced central quest line and experimenting with the world's delightful systems. I'm enjoying it a lot. 

It is a very relaxing game just for sort of aimless exploration.  "I'll just go get that tower over there, I'll just go see what's in that valley, I'll just go check out that village" and suddenly it's been 3 hours.

I found out after the fact that I'd beaten one of the game's hardest bosses in drastically the wrong order. Naboris by Gerudo Town, my son tells me I should have taken that Divine Beast on last. I did it first though. I only had six hearts, and it was an absolute fucker. I almost put the game down, thinking all the bosses would see these ridiculous difficulty spikes. But on the bright side at least it's now out of the way. 

Hmmm, IIRC I did the Gerudo area divine beast second.  Is that the Lightning Ganon?  If so that was the hardest boss I fought

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Hmmm, IIRC I did the Gerudo area divine beast second.  Is that the Lightning Ganon?  If so that was the hardest boss I fought

Yeah him. He was cheap. 

Won’t be returning to Tunic.  It’s got that annoying indie game trope where the presentation is so minimalist, so “pure,” to the point where it doesn’t have any personality IMO.  And yeah when I’m banging my head against a boss over and over and over, a little personality helps keep me in it.

I don't really understand what the "gameplay loop" of the game will be.  I can't see it being like a life sim type game where you have to make sure you're in bed on time, manage your class schedule, be in the Great Hall for mealtimes and just... go to your classes every day.  But they have to do at least some of that to make it feel like you're going to Hogwarts.  I dunno, also wand gameplay doesn't seem like it would be fun.  But I am very open to being proven wrong.

Yeah, but most of those types of games you play a character who can basically go anywhere and do anything at any time as you please.  In this one you play a student with an incredibly regimented schedule and rulebound life.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah, but most of those types of games you play a character who can basically go anywhere and do anything at any time as you please.  In this one you play a student with an incredibly regimented schedule and rulebound life.

Maybe classes will level up the main character

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

In this one you play a student with an incredibly regimented schedule and rulebound life.

Rockstar pulled it off with Bully. 

That’s not the vibe I got from the gameplay reveal, but I’m certainly watching this one with fascination just to see if they really pull off the Wizarding game people have always wanted.

Yeah going by that trailer it looks pretty good, I'm actually intrigued! The visuals are gorgeous, and I love the period costuming, not an easy thing to communicate considering the wizard world already dresses pretty old-timey.

Combat appears to be a bit repetitive though, watching that just felt like "stun, grab, disarm/attack" over and over again. I hope there's some fun combat spells like rictusempra (where the victim uncontrollably laughs, inexplicably in the film of CoS it was just... a pushy thing), even if it's just early on, before you progress to stupefy or the curses. Seeing petrificus totalus in there is pretty fun, and getting plants/beasts to help out is cool! Can't say the story intrigues me much, just another chosen one RPG character with a mysterious past blah blah blah. Looks like the kind of game that I'd spend most of my time doing side-quests, so hopefully they're decent.

Who's the obvious composer for this? Once upon a time it would've been Jeremy Soule, but.... yeah. Maybe James Hannigan, who did a fairly good job adapting Hedwig's Theme in his games?

What I really want to play right now is this 90s computer game I used to play on the Power Macintosh 5200s in my middle school computer lab.  It was called Diamonds, a Breakout variant, and it was a great timewaster for a 12 year old :) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamonds_(video_game)

"Game journalists" have to stop this NOW because they ruining gaming for everyone . That type of article is pretty much the epitome of what has gone wrong with wokeness infiltrating the entertainment industry  like a cancer. I don't need an endless virtue signaling dissertation telling me I'm a biggot if I play Hogwarts Legacy.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/jk-rowlings-anti-transgender-stance-and-hogwarts-legacy/1100-6501632/

50 minutes ago, King Mark said:

"Game journalists" have to stop this NOW before they ruin gaming for everyone . This is pretty much the epitome of what has gone wrong with wokeness infiltrating pop culture like a cancer. I don't need an endless virtue signaling dissertation telling me I'm a biggot if I play Hogwarts Legacy.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/jk-rowlings-anti-transgender-stance-and-hogwarts-legacy/1100-6501632/

Just play the games you like to play. No one is preventing you from doing so. Games media has been notoriously left wing for nearly a decade. 

Also, just stop reading articles from those kinds of websites.  If the article inflamed your anger and you then shared it with other people then it did exactly what it was designed to do.

Do you buy and force yourself to read rag newspaper articles as well?

yeah but it's Gamespot...that's a major mainstream gaming site telling me I shouldn't be playing this game and to take a stand with an issue I don't give a shit about, which is not what a gaming website should be doing, ever.

I already deleted Kotaku from my bookmarks for that reason.

Been playing a lot of Bloodborne lately.  Never thought I'd get into a Souls game but the progression is incredibly intuitive and satisfying.  The difficulty, while tough, still feels fair (apart from the overly delayed attack queue system, you rarely feel like you're "fighting the game"). 

Souls games are known for their tight map design but it's still really cool playing in a higher level area and opening a door to an area you were playing 5+ hours ago.

The replay of the second Uncharted led into a replay of the third ... I'd kinda forgotten how intense the shootouts can be, there's been a LOT of 'Oh, FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!' as Nate bites the dust yet again under very heavy opposition.  

4 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Been playing a lot of Bloodborne lately.  Never thought I'd get into a Souls game but the progression is incredibly intuitive and satisfying.  The difficulty, while tough, still feels fair (apart from the overly delayed attack queue system, you rarely feel like you're "fighting the game"). 

Souls games are known for their tight map design but it's still really cool playing in a higher level area and opening a door to an area you were playing 5+ hours ago.

I like the Dark Souls games better because I can use ranged magic.  Bloodborne was still manageable because I could power level through it but Sekiro is the absolute worse in terms on unfair combat and the only souls game I hated and don't recommend.

I also liked less the gothic environments of Bloodborne compared to the high fantasy worlds of Dark Souls

6 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I never made it past the opening area in like a town.

Bloodborne was awesome, loved it. 

I rarely play those sorts of games anymore, but I will occasionally put myself into "the mode" when one comes along which I really fancy. It's all about the early grind, gradually becoming intimately knowledgeable of environmental hazards, and progressing into an absolute beast of a warrior once it all clicks. Very satisfying gameplay loop which requires deep reserves of patience before it becomes apparent. Nine times out of ten though my game time involves chilling, so something much more accessible and less punishing. 

Bloodborne has some of the best art direction I've seen in a game tbh. It's at once nightmarish and wondrous. People tend to praise the gloomy gothic feel, but some of the locations have more of a "rural Brothers Grimm" style about them. 

There's very, very little in the way of jank in these games, although to the uninitiated I can see why it might feel that way after players get their arse handed to them by superbly designed but brutally uncompromising combat mechanics. At least in the first few hours.