What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Thor. My reception: Lukewarm

I mean, I liked how they tried to ground the cheesy fantasy aspect in Sci-Fi,

and in the end, created an interesting showdown with an interesting villain.

But all the scenes on earth didn't deliver. Hemsworth was miscast.

I thought it was more entertaining than all the other Marvel films combined. Not in a filmmaking sense, but purely as a adolescent rollercoaster ride. Big, silly, corny and not even trying to disguise that. Hope it isn't too much for you to bear, Alex.

Some minor spoilers ahead!

Sorry, I misinterpretted your post. The only thing your post said was "Marvel's The Avengers" which I translated into, "It's Marvel, fellas, not Whedon". Why would it be too much for me to bear? It's a fun film. Best time I had with a Marvel film since Marvel took over complete artistic control of their movies. I do think that The Avengers got a lot weaker the moment they invaded Earth. I wasn't involved in the war, the big climax of the film. I felt like I was looking at an endles series of crashes and explosions. But everything up to this point is very much recommended if you want a fun time at the movies. You could tell that the audience loved it. Will I be buying this movie on Blu-ray? Do I want to see it again? No, not really.

mark-ruffalo-the-avengers.jpg

BTW, Mark Ruffalo gave us a very good Bruce Banner. Unlike with Edward Norton, you actually believe he's a doctor/professor who can turn into a green monster.

Alex

This version would be good...

!

Karol

:lol:

Who wouldn't pay good money to be ice-berged, shot at and spit on at the movies?

The Cabin In The Woods

Whedon and Goddard answer the biggest mystery of the universe. Why do all horror movies suck? Great satire, and David Julyan's score is as genre defying as the script. Melody in a horror film? :o

I know you're prone to fits of hyperbole but all horror movies suck? Really?

Who wouldn't pay good money to be ice-berged, shot at and spit on at the movies?

I've been spit on at sports games and so I have scratched that off my bucket list.

The Cabin In The Woods

Whedon and Goddard answer the biggest mystery of the universe. Why do all horror movies suck? Great satire, and David Julyan's score is as genre defying as the script. Melody in a horror film? :o

I know you're prone to fits of hyperbole but all horror movies suck? Really?

Pretty much any horror movie from the 90s and 00s, yep. It's a wasted genre in contemporary cinema. When done right, it's as good as anything else.

Saw The Avengers, it was good. Preferred Thor, though. The themes of the former were completely impersonal; there wasn't much at all in the way of ethos, no developmemt or arc; it was all very cartoony and narratively brief. Still, it was a heck of a challenge to make such an ensemble work at all and it does work very well in that throwaway blockbuster sort of way. Disappointingly, there was no Whedon to be seen - methinks The Avengers is to Whedon as Spartacus is to Kubrick.

Anyway, my biggest disappointment with an otherwise decent time at the cinema is that Hopkins didn't turn up at the end with his awesome booming voice, but you can't have it all I suppose.

Almost every comment I read is about how people love the Whedon humor in The Avengers. I also recognized him in some of the action/fight scenes (think of Scarlett Johansson as some kind of River character and you'll know what I mean).

Nah, they're bullshitting. The comedy is the branded variety you find in every marvel superhero movie from Spiderman to Ironman. It's the harmless fun norm. This is how it works: crazy special effects and pyrotechnics all over the place, people fighting in the most impossible way shot by a camera which is impossibly close to the action, REALLY loud crashes and bangs then HALT...silence for split-second... cue one-liner or slapstick punch line. Rinse/repeat. Good family friendly fun.

I must say though I was in tears when the Hulk got hold of the baddie, if you know what I mean ;). Absolutely hilarious!

I can't believe anyone got scared in Cabin in the Woods, as a horror film it's very tame.

But overall it's very entertaining as an apocalytic tale.

Thor is such an unlikable "hero", personally I find him to be a bore.

It's not a movie but that doesn't stop most here, but I watched the 25th anniversary Phantom of the Opera. It's a superior production.

Up next Nazi's at the Center of the Earth, I just had to watch something with this title. I'm sure it will be officially "wonderful".

Today I wanted to sit down comfortably and see The Vikings and Aguirre der Zorn Gottes back to back in the morning but my plan went nowhere. I'm annoyed. Don't you just hate when you really fancy seeing a film right at the moment and you can't?

Watched The Avengers again. It holds up well after second viewing, which is something I didn't quite expect. It makes me feel like 10-year old again, which many of the latest blockbusters didn't manage to do. And that's something. :)

Karol

I have been loaned a movie called Red State, directed by Kevin Smith and I'm about to watch it now. I didn't know it existed before today. On RT it's 58%, a real divider by the looks of it. Could be great.

nothing Kevin Smith has done could ever be called great.

Red State is not great, nor horrible, it falls somewhere in between.

In this instance my usage of the G word is casual - as in ha, yeah, that was great! Not the E.T. The Extra Terrestrial sort of Great. ;)

We should really have a JWFan Great-o-Meter by now. One would be useful.

Anyway, Clerks touches greatness in some ways. Not totally, but it gets close.

I would disagree, but it isn't a film meant for me. That much i get.

I've seen Pan's Labyrinth and I've liked it , but my first thought has been like seeing a spanish film (The Spanish Civil War, Maribel Verdú), in fact, I always thought this was a spanish film, but directed by Guillermo De Toro. The story it's awesome but i see some mistakes. The faun's design looks pretty well and the film score is great.

I've seen Pan's Labyrinth and I've liked it , but my first thought has been like seeing a spanish film (The Spanish Civil War, Maribel Verdú), in fact, I always thought this was a spanish film, but directed by Guillermo De Toro. The story it's awesome but i see some mistakes. The faun's design looks pretty well and the film score is great.

This is one of my favourites of the last decade (and 2006 was a great year). There's a passion to it that sets it apart from other Spanish films, maybe it's because it's sort of a half-Mexican film instead :lol:. It's done with a very interesting taste. Great villains and atmosphere.

Titanic 3D

This film was huge in 1997, it made an untold amount of money. Many say it was because of the hype. But its simply a very good film.

Camaron's script is very conventional though, and about as subtle as a jackhammer. Everything that happens in the film is designed to evoke somesort of response from the audience. Most films do that. but never so blatantly as this one. There also isn't a single surprise in the film. Even if you never seen this film before, you know what will happen, because you've seen it before in so many other films.

The film consists of 2 distinct parts. The first part is the love story.

Again, there's no subtlety here. Boy meets Girl. First they find each other annoying, and 10 minutes later they have a deep emotional bond. If you are a cynic, then it won't work. If you open up to it, then it does. The 2 leads help a lot. Kate Winslet is gorgeous, and starts of as aloof and distant and becomes a women you care about. Leo starts off a bit over the top as the happy go lucky Jack, but slowly relaxes into the role. The "portrait" scene is genuinly erotic.

The rest of the cast are well chosen. Billy Zane is good in a almost caricature of a evil man. He's so vain, and nasty and ridiculously evil that it becomes fun. (would it not have been interesting though if his character had been a better nicer man, or actually loved Rose? By making him this evil, Cameron hedged his bets)

Of the rest of the cast Kathy Bates is best as Molly Brown.

The second part of the film starts when the iceberg comes into play. Suspense builds when Titanic tries to dodge it, and then the suspense fades away...and everything seems fine.

From that moment the brillaince of Cameron as a director comes good. The way he very slowly build from the moment when everything seems to be OK, till the startling realisation that the unsinkable ship is doomed. I feel a modern film would get to the mass panis and huge flooding scenes to soon. But Cameron delays it, milks it out. Eventually disaster does unfold, and it happens on an apocalyptic scale. The special effects look incredible lifelike and frightening. The rising water looks like a harbinger of death and destruction.. The breaking up and the final sinking are heartstopping moments.

I guess there is a difference between converted to 3D and converted to 3D under the supervision of Cameron.

I'm no 3D expert, but it looked great. The dimensions looked believable and the 3D really brought something to the sinking scenes.

Horners score is the icing on the cake. one of his best.

In it's re-release the film has made over 250 million dollars, against a conversion cost of 18 million. and without the hype it once had. Simply staggering.

**** out of ****

So let me put this straight: Quint proclaims The Avengers childish, Alex, on the other hand, enjoys it. And then you herald Titanic as a masterpiece of cinema.

If this is not a sign that the world is ending, I don't know what is. But then again, it is kinda 2012...

Karol

I cannot disagree with you Stefan, it's a great film in 2d or 3d.

So let me put this straight: Quint proclaims The Avengers childish, Alex, on the other hand, enjoys it.

Where did I say I didn't?? And you say "childish" as if it has negative connotations? Anyway, I didn't say that either.

And it cost 18MIL to remaster Titantic in 3D?! What a fucking horrible extravagance. You could build a school for that. In fact you could build several!

That was my impression. I might have misunderstood, sorry. I just got an impression Alex enjoyed it more than you, which I thought was quite strange.

Karol

you could build a lot of schools for the overall cost of Titanic, but that's not the point, the amount of business and money the film has made has furthered alot of people's income and career. Film is a business afterall and many many people's livelyhoods. A successful film is a wonderful thing, even if it's a Transformers 2, let alone a Titanic.

That was my impression. I might have misunderstood, sorry.

Karol

Nah, it was a fun time at the cinema. Did what it said on the tin. I believe I just expressed some disappointment in it, that's all. I was honestly expecting superhero greatness, but unfortunately it didn't get anywhere close.

Oh and I forgot to mention Silvestri's score. WALLPAPER. What the hell happened to that guy?

I just got an impression Alex enjoyed it more than you, which I thought was quite strange

Maybe he did, who knows.

no movie is truly perfect Koray, yet many are worthy of a perfect score. we're not awarding absolute perfection here.

That was my impression. I might have misunderstood, sorry. I just got an impression Alex enjoyed it more than you, which I thought was quite strange.

Karol

Nah, it was a fun time at the cinema. Did what it said on the tin. I believe I just expressed some disappointment in it, that's all. I was honestly expecting superhero greatness, but unfortunately it didn't get anyway where close.

Oh and I forgot to mention Silvestri's score. WALLPAPER. What the hell happened to that guy?

I couldn't tell you. But his previous Marvel score is much better. But that was a period piece of sorts...

As for the film, I really like it. Much better than what I expected it to be. Straight, honest and to the point. No need to "update outdated concepts".

Karol

No, and don't be an idiot here, you know exactly what we're talking about. I'd give Night of the Hunter 4 out of 4 stars. It's worthy but it has moments that are not as good as other. At least the children's acting was superior to the overrated film To Kill A Mockingbird which gets alot of perfect scores but it features some truly horrific child acting, some of the worst ever in a big film.

you could build a lot of schools for the overall cost of Titanic, but that's not the point, the amount of business and money the film has made has furthered alot of people's income and career.

I know, I know. I just find the cost disgusting. They didn't even have to make the film, just convert it to 3D. Obvious revenue benefits aside, you can't justify those figures. It's symptomatic of the greed at the rotten heart of Hollywood.

I don't find it greedy at all. I applaud the decision to get it into the theatre again, I wish studios would re-release the greats again. It is a business afterall and not the government, and not the business of the studios to build schools.

Hmmm, that makes me wonder, perhaps I should do a thread asking the question if Universal rereleased Jaws would people see it again.