What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Pilgim, I didnt see the commercials, could you link to those you found offensive?

As for Arvo Part music. Is that relevant? Trailers rarely use music totally descriptive of the actual score. I doubt Godzilla will have Ligetti in it, or even Desplat aping Ligetti. Savinf Private Ryan got some criticism because the music in the actual film didn't have the "americana" feel of it's trailer. Is that really a valid criticism? I tend not to put that much faith in trailers or TV spots anyway. Usually they are not assembled by the director.

No, it's not a valid criticism, it's just one thing that colored my experience of the film.

Also I wasn't "offended" by any of the commercials. They just seemed misleading. And I don't particularly feel like hunting them down. Go for it if you want, to show me how wrong I am.

At this point I am admittedly just pissing around.

I was just kidding Joey, as I had previously been half-heartledly whining about Gravity's marketing.

DeMille's film is a masterpiece, the very embodiment of the now butchered descriptor "epic."

I was just kidding Joey, as I had previously been half-heartledly whining about Gravity's marketing.

DeMille's film is a masterpiece, the very embodiment of the now butchered descriptor "epic."

I figured you meant you didn't expect the Ten Commandments to be at the very end of the film.

I used to love the old biblical epics when I was younger, but I can't get through them now. The theatrical acting is very much of its time and difficult to take seriously.

it is great acting not what we get today. our current filmmakers are so afraid of melodrama.

the christian bale exodus will suck ass compared to the Ten Commandments

The emotional autists that worship the emotionally detached styles of Nolan and Fincher might take offense with some of it.

I despise Nolan, Fincher and Cuarón. Where does that leave me?

Three of my favorite directors!

It is epic in the plain understanding of the word, yeah. But it's not EPIC.

Karol

I had to laugh, you're so incredibly wrong. Now tell me Ben Hur and Lawrence of Arabia are NOT EPIC.

Karol

I had to laugh, you're so incredibly wrong. Now tell me Ben Hur and Lawrence of Arabia are NOT EPIC.

I was referring to Gravity.

Karol

Karol

Both are the meaning of the word. But both are also deeply personal explorations of their respective lead characters. The style of filmmaking and the scope are epic though, yes.

Looking at the scope of films scored by John Williams I see few epics.

I see two.

The Cowboys and Superman The Movie.

And he comically scrambles to defend it, something he criticizes others for frequently! ;)

I'm guessing Alex is talking about Mission to Mars. Nothing in that film's highly spiritual finale is as stupid as Bullock going into foetal position.

God it's refreshing to see someone talk about that film like that.

I have no need to defend the film, its done pretty well for itself.

Lee never believed my prediction of 500-600 million, when i saw it i felt it would do numbers like that. It did even better then I expected.

I also dont need to defend my opinion of it.

But I do maintain that my opinion of a film is of far greater importance then anyone else's...in my opinion.

Afterall, i'm not a Brony!

Looking at the scope of films scored by John Williams I see few epics.

I see two.

The Cowboys and Superman The Movie.

The Cowboys is NOT an epic, far to homely.

ROTS tries to be epic.

the Cowboys is Epic in scope Stefan

Rots is not in anyway an epic,

TPM flatters Ben Hur, it is the closest

Star Wars is not epic but that isn't an insult

And he comically scrambles to defend it, something he criticizes others for frequently! ;)

I'm guessing Alex is talking about Mission to Mars. Nothing in that film's highly spiritual finale is as stupid as Bullock going into foetal position.

God it's refreshing to see someone talk about that film like that.

I also dont need to defend my opinion of it.

But I do maintain that my opinion of a film is of far greater importance then anyone else's...in my opinion.

I wholeheartedly agree with that. Don't mistake my accounts of my own experiences with films as assertion that your own experiences are less valid.

Of course, the genius of Williams is that he inserts a sense of the epic into little personal stories, like in the closing moments of E.T.

Little boy bids a final tearful farewell to his friend as he shoots up into the stars. Humankind makes first contact with alien life.

somewhere there is a lost set of Lyrics from Alannis Morrisette's song Ironic about Heston playing films two greatest Jews

ROTS is an attempt at a political film ala Nixon (did not George liken Palpatine to Nixon in the early days of the Star Wars saga?), and it is scored that way.

Albert Einstein and who else?

pitiful, just pathetic. I feel your shame

Einstein's genius and importance in history are matters of proven fact. Not myth and half-baked conjecture as the examples you mean!

I didn't knew Heston had played Spielberg. Sounds good, was it a biopic?

Most important Jews? Has Chuck played Jesus?

so there is an epic film about einstein?

Moses is real and more important to History, without his history, then there is no einstein history