What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I wouldn't like to say which is the better modern Peter Pan movie between the two. Both have their (significant) flaws, and nice parts. I'd probably go with Hook, at a push, purely due to nostalgia.

Even the main themes are closely tied for effectiveness.

But Finding Neverland trumps both either way.

I never really got the whole anime thing

That's most likely because you think it just all goes down to things like Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, Sailor Moon and whatnots, when there is so much more than just that...

Anyway, the one you're talking about might be Evangelion.

Nah, it was The Big O. Awesome stuff.

I wouldn't like to say which is the better modern Peter Pan movie between the two. Both have their (significant) flaws, and nice parts. I'd probably go with Hook, at a push, purely due to nostalgia.

Oh, yes. The reason I'd rank Hook above 2004's Peter Pan is mostly because of the nostalgia factor. And the score.

I love Finding Neverland, but I don't think you can compare it to the other two. It's not the same kind of film at all.

Always with the literalism. I wasn't directly comparing the three movies. It was just an aside acknowledgment.

The River Wild: Watchable but slightly too Disney-esque and somehow Goldsmith's very old-fashioned score makes the film feel dated in a not so good way. 5/10

the-river-wild-141313_zps1106f0cf.jpg

Alex

The music makes it even older. It's like they took the score from '50s or '60s Lassie and placed it over '90s The River Wild. Goldsmith (and yes, Curtis) did better with LA Confidential.

What I like about Goldsmith's score for LA Confidential is that despite is uses familiar aspects from the film noir genre, Jazz infusions, mournful trumpet solo's, piano etc, it never tries to pass itself of as a 1950's score. Much like the film itself.

Die Hard in a Dingy is quite entertaining and very easy to watch, but I prefer Die Hard on a plane Air Force One, which is better than Die Hard 2, which was Die Hard in an Airport and on a snow speeder thingy.

How come Die Hard in space hasn't been done yet? Oh hang on I forgot about Gravity.

Lockout was a better Die Hard in space,even for just being Escape from New York in space. Though Gravity did use the Russians as the bad guys, which never gets old, and was incredibly expensive in its scope of destruction, which is a prerequisite for that type of flick.

Air Force One was a major disappointment. Die Harder was much more entertaining and someone died by an icicle in their eye. Nanna always warned us about that.

The music makes it even older. It's like they took the score from '50s or '60s Lassie and placed it over '90s The River Wild. Goldsmith (and yes, Curtis) did better with LA Confidential.

Alex, the score is totally mediocre but how can one mistake these slick TOTAL RECALL-meters and cheap pop drums for Lassie music? (the Waltons-lite main theme arrangement is totally apt for the shallow family dynamics)

Air Force One was a major disappointment.

It was a major hoot. A movie like that shouldn't be done any other way *salutes*

I didn't hear any drums. Those were probably reserved for when they were canoeing the rapids (the action scenes). It's when the music gets outdoorsy in a typical (neo)romantic style that it sticks out like a sore thumb. It was just a little bit too sweet and old-fashioned sounding for a '90s movie. Just watch the first scene when Streep is approaching the city in her canoe.

Alex

Alex, the score is totally mediocre but how can one mistake these slick TOTAL RECALL-meters and cheap pop drums for Lassie music? (the Waltons-lite main theme arrangement is totally apt for the shallow family dynamics)

Air Force One was a major disappointment.

It was a major hoot. A movie like that shouldn't be done any other way *salutes*

The hoot came at the end when the plane crashed with the use of primitive cgi.

And Jerry's auto pilot score.

I didn't hear any drums. Those were probably reserved for when they were canoeing the rapids (the action scenes). It's when the music gets outdoorsy in a typical (neo)romantic style that it sticks out like a sore thumb. It was just a little bit too sweet and old-fashioned sounding for a '90s movie. Just watch the first scene when Streep is approaching the city in her canoe.

Alex

Nobody ever said that sweet romantic melodies were JG's forte.

The hoot came at the end when the plane crashed with the use of primitive cgi.

And Jerry's auto pilot score.

Which still rates as one of the boldest from a 90's blockbuster movie.

What I like about Goldsmith's score for LA Confidential is that despite is uses familiar aspects from the film noir genre, Jazz infusions, mournful trumpet solo's, piano etc, it never tries to pass itself of as a 1950's score. Much like the film itself.

Agreed. The allusions in both the film and score set the tone but the spin they give the story in the end is more modern. Although Goldsmith's mournful main theme takes its lead from Leonard Bernstein's On the Waterfront quite heavily the action and suspense are austere and vicious but oh so effective.

Someone convince me to watch The Tree of Life. I've seen most of the cosmicy bits, I love Chastain, and I dig Malick based on The Thin Red Line. But I have reservations about getting into this one.

Someone convince me to watch The Tree of Life. I've seen most of the cosmicy bits, I love Chastain, and I dig Malick based on The Thin Red Line. But I have reservations about getting into this one.

Watch it. Take the plunge.

What reservations do you have and why watch the creation scenes if you're not interested? I can imagine marveling at their beauty but out of context it probably loses much, if not all, of its meaning.

The film is brilliant. One of my favorites of the past 15 years. Like with all of Malick's films, the reward is in the audiovisual fabric of the narrative. This is a film that might not make much sense to a straightforward viewer, and even for the open-minded ones, but it has a rich plethora of layers that peel back with subsequent viewings.

It requires some work on your end, that's for sure, but if you like The Thin Red Line you should be fine. Seen any of his other films?

I haven't. And I have no issue with it being difficult, I like that. My only reservations are that it'll fall short of my expectations, or I'll find it preachy or something. But that's nonsense. I'm going to watch it right now.

For Dave it proved an effective sleep aide. For me it was 3 hours I could have been doing yard work.

I always thought this films tries to reconstruct how human brain works. And how memory works. It's not about any narrative or meaning as such, more of a collage of different things human beings experience throughout life. It's an editiorial experiment, really.

Some people seem to be offended by a lot of religious elements. I don't think that's important at all. Characters in this film are religious and that's how they experience things,but the whole thing is a bit more abstract than that. It's just a different concept Malick wants to show, not film's message.

It looks great on big screen, too.

Karol

If only they made all that whispering audible ;)

I did like the film though. I thought it was flawed, but intriguing nonetheless.

I've watched The Tree of Life twice.

While I adore it visually, it still couldn't affect me emotionally.

It also felt like having a loose construction. Like bits here and there sticked together...

The Thin Red Line affects me very much (although the first time I saw it at the cinema I was bored, when i saw it afterwards in home video, I thought [and I still do] it's a masterpiece)

For me, TREE OF LIFE was comparable to a seminar in university. Sometimes the most exciting topic would become a horrible snoozer because the prof doing it just was a bad teacher/entertainer whatever, sometimes a seminar about quantum physics was engaging like hell for six months because the prof just was a brilliant teacher/storytelller. With Malick, it's the same. He seems just not interested to let people understand what he's after and just throws these tangled strains of thought at the screen as if they would mean anything though i'm not sure if even he knows. He can make stuff like this, of course, i just think it's a waste of time for most people who see it and thus, i don't see much point in working your ass off two or three years on a movie most people couldn't possibly get a grasp on (or care much).