What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

It's a great film. Joaquin Phoenix nails it and plays a very endearing character.

One of things I especially loved though was the colour palette used.

American Hustle was a bit disappointing. It's a good film, but it's plot is not as tight as say, Silver Linings Playbook. It's ultimately a film that is carried by very strong performances. Sometimes the it gets a little out of hand, but you can't deny the fun playing on screen.

The best scenes are the ones dealing with paranoia, where the Thing could be anyone.

But ... that's true for the remake as well! And it has a bigger cast which means there are more people who could be The Thing ...

I just saw two awesome movies - "Her" and "American Hustle". Both had excellent cast, script, direction, acting, and were just good fun.

You just saw the two movies that I want to see. That's not fair!

But there are never enough great movies!

1982 is globally overrated! ;)

Alex

You love 2001 and Blade Runner. Millions of people do.

2001: ASO and Blade Runner weren't crowd pleasers. In fact, I loved Blade Runner when everybody hated it. Did the tide turn by now? Well, sheep will always follow the shepherd. ;)

2001: ASO and Blade Runner weren't crowd pleasers. In fact, I loved Blade Runner when everybody hated it. Did the tide turn by now? Well, sheep will always follow the shepherd. ;)

You make me laugh Alex. How can someone who's admitted to watching and enjoying The Voice claim he is not into crowd pleasing entertainment?

2001, while initially not understood by critics found an audience very fast. Loving and admiring it certainly doesn't make you stand out from the flock.

And even Blade Runner was not nearly as hated as you claim. Already in the late 80's it was considered something of a classic.

You seem to think that your slightly more developed taste in films sets you apart from everyone else. But in fact there are loads of people out there like you. To think your tastes are unique is nothing but a load of Asscremers!

Often enough (be it 2001, BLADE RUNNER or what have you), the shepherds (read: critics with more refined movie tastes) were the first one to piss vinegar on those movies. That Joe Public, who goes to cinema once a year and is susceptible to much broader marketing flings than seasoned movie veterans should find the truffles on the hamburger menu is not a realistic expectation, to say the least - circulation and lack thereof prevents that just fine.

You make me laugh Alex. How can someone who's admitted to watching and enjoying The Voice claim he is not into crowd pleasing entertainment?

Oh, but I do have a few follies, but that doesn't mean I'm into crowd pleasers like you, Steefass. Meh ... Meh ...

Often enough (be it 2001, BLADE RUNNER or what have you), the shepherds (read: critics with more refined movie tastes) were the first one to piss vinegar on those movies. That Joe Public, who goes to cinema once a year and is susceptible to much broader marketing flings than seasoned movie veterans should find the truffles on the hamburger menu is not a realistic expectation, to say the least - circulation and lack thereof prevents that just fine.

Actually, critics and audiences expected crowd pleasers so it comes as no surprise that they were mostly disappointed. To put things into perspective, the rerun of E.T. (with CGI and walkie-talkies) made more money than Blade Runner did in 30 years.

the shepherds (read: critics with more refined movie tastes)

Your words, not mine.

ABERCROMBIE_Gertrude-Ivory-Tower-resized

Alex

Yesterday I watched Planet of the Apes and Beneath the Planet of the Apes. In the process of watching the blu ray of Escape from the Planet of the Apes. Jerry's score is very hip and 70ish. To say I dig it would be an understatement.

Sal Mineo has such expressive eyes as does Roddy McDowell and the brilliant Kim Hunter.

World War Z.

Loved the first half. Unfortunately, the second half is more conventional for a Zombie movie, but in it's whole, it's a good movie.

I didn't like the end very much... You know, it's like watching the first two episodes of a TV series and have to wait 2 years to see the 3rd one...

Boys Don't Cry (1999)

Halfway through this I wasn't caring much about this film. However I felt really unsettled by some of the later developments, even though I knew how it ended.

Now I want to see a happy queer film.

I will watch Lizzy Borden with Christina Ricci this weekend but I wish I could see the old Elizabeth Montgomery version. Maybe I can Chromecast it.

Boys Don't Cry (1999)

Halfway through this I wasn't caring much about this film. However I felt really unsettled by some of the later developments, even though I knew how it ended.

Watch Victor Victoria.

True transgendered has nothing to do with gay. Should not EVER be associated with it.

I will watch Lizzy Borden with Christina Ricci this weekend but I wish I could see the old Elizabeth Montgomery version. Maybe I can Chromecast it.

Boys Don't Cry (1999)

Watch Victor Victoria.

Or The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. I adore that one

The Brothers Bloom

Simply love the energy and aestheitc behind this film. Great performances, music, editing, costumes, and art direction. One of my favorite prologues too.

Silver Linings Playbook

First time watching and I really liked it. It has a sense of closeness and human fiber running through it that really helps to make it pop off the screen. Was really impressed with its more grounded story and comedy, as well as the performances. Score/soundtrack is fantastic. Completely misjudged Elfman's work here without hearing it in context. It's short and sparse with literally a singular melodic idea but he nails the tone of it all. Wonder what drew Chris Tucker to this since he retired from acting.

has nothing to do with gay. Should not EVER be associated with it.

Oh god, I know what you mean. The confusion between gender and sexual/romantic orientation has been one of the dumbest things I've encountered in people while trying to come out. And it's not exactly difficult to understand :blink:

By true he means bye bye cock and balls.

That would be ridiculous. In any case, what does a cis person have to decide whether someone is truly trans or not. It's not for them to decide!

Not an entire film, but I just watched the Throne Room Scene from Star WArs.

Goosebumps again, after so many times!

Each time I re-live the first time I saw it!

How magnificent films (I'm talking about the original trilogy).

And how they ruined it, with the whole franchise that came after that...

It's depressing...

Each time I am watching those 3 films, I'm trying to forget anything else Star Wars related, and the experience is one of a kind!

Won't Wojo object to the term queer?

No, you spelled it correctly.

I've seen as a loan in Castilian as "cuir". Looked like Gaelic. It was weird.

Sex=biology

Gender=identity

More or less. The different categorizations between each other and how they affect each other are much more fuzzy and complex than many people want to admit, though.

Sorry, I thought you were our morally conscious politically correct police!

Are there any queers in the theater tonight?

Get 'em up against the wall.

There's one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me.

Get him up against the wall.

True transgendered

What do you mean with "true" and why do you "-ed" at the end?

many confuse trangendered and cross dressers.

The Hunger Games

Hey, it's not half bad. Certainly much more interesting that other teen franchises. And involving too. To my surprise, it actually goes somewhere.

Karol - who was expecting something much more generic

Boys Don't Cry (1999)

Try "Longtime Companion", "Jeffrey", or the "Tales Of The City" TV show. Even "Angels In America" is pretty uplifting.