What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Jeffrey Hunter played history's greatest Jew.

Captain Christopher Pike as Stephan said poor poor aetheist Stephan

btw the blu ray representation was excellent, the Overture, entraacte and exit music cards looked lie real leather binding instead of the tv screen

I do,

I think I should finish the last of the 5 Planet of the Apes films

Battle for the Planet of the Apes

because I have a fondness for the original 5 films. and while Battle is the worst or perhaps least of the original five it's still light years better than the Burton disaster.

I once saw all 5 at the theatre in a glorious ape film fest back in 1975

I used to love the old biblical epics when I was younger, but I can't get through them now. The theatrical acting is very much of its time and difficult to take seriously.

it is great acting not what we get today. our current filmmakers are so afraid of melodrama.

the christian bale exodus will suck ass compared to the Ten Commandments

Well, the sure thing is that it will be a CGI fest..

Saw the trailer for Noe and remembered the good old times with the Bible (1966)..

By the way, I LOVE biblical epics..

Even the not so good ones...

I used to love the old biblical epics when I was younger, but I can't get through them now. The theatrical acting is very much of its time and difficult to take seriously.

it is great acting not what we get today. our current filmmakers are so afraid of melodrama.

the christian bale exodus will suck ass compared to the Ten Commandments

Well, the sure thing is that it will be a CGI fest..

Saw the trailer for Noe and remembered the good old times with the Bible (1966)..

By the way, I LOVE biblical epics..

Even the not so good ones...

Even "Moses The Lawgiver"?

She does have incredible legs.

I have to admit: I'm not interested in her legs (or any other part of her).

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

For all it has going for it -- the great cast and the director doing double duty as the villain -- it's rather rote and boring. (Although Keira Knightley does a better American accent here than she did in The Jacket.) It certainly does pick up near the end... where Branagh goes in full scenery-chewing mode and slap Keira Knightley around. The end result is okay. Chris Pine holds his own, but he doesn't have the chameleon quality that allows him to disappear into multiple roles. He's likeable but his Jack Ryan is a less-cocky Captain Kirk.

And for those worrying about the cinematography -- I didn't notice any Dutch angles like Branagh's Thor. It's competently shot, but I noticed a lot of grain. I don't know if that was to make Pine and Knightley look younger than they actually are, but it makes it look subpar (more like 16mm than 35mm). I like that Branagh shot it on film, but I expected a much sharper look. Doyle's score was fine, not great but enjoyable enough.

Wasnt this one of the inspirations of The Matrix?

Absolutely. The credits scene, for one. And when Kusanagi plugs herself into the mainframe at the beginning, the plugs in her neck are identical to the ones seen in The Matrix. Mostly visual nods.

But it's... different. It shows that good directors can use the animated format to tell interesting and mature stories rather than something just seen as exclusive to kids.

I never really got the whole anime thing, but there was one show that used to be on Cartoon Network in the dead of night that was really neat. Kind of Batmanish with giant robots, a creative story, a great score, and nice atmosphere. Can't remember what it was called.

Oddly enough, I though I was the only one who was disappointed with Gravity. Honestly, I thought the film was celebrated by almost everybody. I guess I was wrong.

Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time this board came to a positive consensus on anything...

I never really got the whole anime thing, but there was one show that used to be on Cartoon Network in the dead of night that was really neat. Kind of Batmanish with giant robots, a creative story, a great score, and nice atmosphere. Can't remember what it was called.

Was it Outlaw Star? I know CN had a Toonami Midnight Run thing on the weekdays a decade ago, and shows in that lineup were Gundam Wing, Voltron, Robotech, Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon and OS.

I admit that I'm not a big anime fan... but Ninja Scroll got me interested in the genre. (I used to watch Sailor Moon when I was young, and Pokemon afterward, but I stopped shortly after 1999.) And that's how I saw Ghost in the Shell. My interest dropped off after I saw Macross though.

Gravity: Technically very, very impressive but that's about it. Emotionally and cerebrally, it felt like watching a Cameron movie. I expected more. 5/10

video-undefined-1BA51708000005DC-288_636

Alex

Damn those are fine gams. Gotta watch this movie.

Leave it to Drax to find the true reason why I picked this pic!

Prisoners: I had never seen a film by Canadian director Denis Villeneuve before but you can consider me a fan from now on. I haven't experienced such an absorbing, intense and fairly disturbing thriller/drama in a very long time. This film almost immediately puts its hooks in you and keeps them there till the very end (153 min!). The verging on natural performances and Deakins' camera operating work do help a lot to pull you in. And it's been since Donnie Darko that I've been impressed with Jake Gyllenhaal. My faith in film is restored. It was a good day. 8/10 or 9/10 ...

MV5BMTg0NTIzMjQ1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDc3

Alex

I suggest you started with some Ghibli films and maybe you change your mind! ;)

I'm just watching Hook on tv with the kids, I haven't seen it in ten years I reckon. Can't work out whether or not Robin Williams was miscast. Hoffman is still a lot of fun though, and boy are there some cracking good Williams cues in it. Movie still feels like a messy missed opportunity (and where on earth is the crocodile?), but at least it's harmless.

Can't work out whether or not Robin Williams was miscast.

The original choice for the role was Kevin Kline who had to drop out because of ongoing reshoots for SOAPDISH (a much better movie, by the way). I'm fairly certain Kline would have mastered the change of tone much better. Williams is too much of a buffoon in either part.

For me the story is far too weak (isn't it a Koepp script?) and there's no sense of place AT ALL. It all feels very small scale and enclosed, which is exactly the opposite of what it should have been.

In that particular regard the later remake is better.

Edit: Google's tells me it wasn't David Koepp. But it feels like it.

A pertinent problem of Spielberg movies is that he often has a hodgepodge of authors on his scripts so that he at best gets one perfect script, at worst a mishmash of stuff that doesn't gel. HOOK had around 10 or 12 contributing authors, from the initial one (James V. Hart) to Melissa Matheson and even Tom Stoppard, each contributing to certain parts of the story and it's a prime example of this approach going awry.

Can't work out whether or not Robin Williams was miscast.

The original choice for the role was Kevin Kline who had to drop out because of ongoing reshoots for SOAPDISH (a much better movie, by the way). I'm fairly certain Kline would have mastered the change of tone much better. Williams is too much of a buffoon in either part.

Hmmm, I didn't know that about Kline. Yes, he might have been more suitable for the part.

At least by appearance he reminds of an Errol Flynn, so thinking of Robin Hood, he could pass more believably as an adult version of Peter Pan!

Many-pirates_KevinKline_400px.jpg

tm8204.jpg58b20dc114f178d580ced7403a131ba9.jpg

By the way, I just found a lost boy! :) (he has the original script)

wow! a trivia I didn't know!

The couple kissing when peter pan flies to Neverland is George Lucas + Carrie Fisher!!

He also mentions his favourite scene, a deleted scene from the movie.

I wish we had all these deleted scenes and more behind the scenes in a collector's edition Bluray!

For me the story is far too weak (isn't it a Koepp script?) and there's no sense of place AT ALL. It all feels very small scale and enclosed, which is exactly the opposite of what it should have been.

I thought it was the same person who wrote Bram Stoker's Dracula

Karol

I thought it was the same person who wrote Bram Stoker's Dracula

That explains EVERYTHING.

Hook is a horrible film. A total disaster.

Saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes. A flawed but well made film. The effects are sub par which hurts the film to a degree.

In that particular regard the later remake is better.

Remake? What remake?

The 2003 PETER PAN. Utterly shits on HOOK.

Ah. Well, technically, that's not a remake of Hook. And while it's an enjoyable film, I'm not sure I'd rank it above Hook, though.

I would.

Of course, you can always wait for Joe Wright's own Peter Pan film, which is coming up soon.