What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Star Trek Nemesis

I liked this one a lot more than I was expecting.  It's not a great movie by any means but I found a lot of it to be relatively engaging, especially the Picard/Shin-Zon material.

The Mask of Zorro 

A fun and old-fashioned adventure romp.  A little too long though.  

Duel

first time I've seen it and surprisingly tense considering I knew how it was ending from reading about it ages ago. Dennis Weaver is good, how he gradually unravels throughout the film and the general lack of music adds to the action. Decent little film.

Many people are annoyed because Weaver is nervously complaining and mumbling all the time. Instead of the plain salesman, they wish it was Bruce Willis, Charles Bronson, Chuck Norris of Schwarzenegger. You know, someone who doesn't talk but is all action. I was surprised to learn that the world is like that. 

Yes, but it was like that in the '70s, you know, when people weren't superheroes. Later generations that grew up on Van Damme, Stallone and Schwarznegger, they don't understand why the salesman isn't able to break free from his tight situation. They don't understand the concept of the anti-hero. It's that same generation that doesn't understand that in Blade Runner the great Harrison Ford gets his butt kicked all the time.

Really?

I grew up on Arnie, Sly, Bruce etc. But I know that there's a lot more then that, and that the characters they plyed usually arent't very realistic.

Weaver's character is entirely plausible. Put in a situation that he has never been in before, and with no idea how to handle himself. I think most of us would react more like David Mann then John Wayne.

But they grew up with different examples or role models. They don't want to identify with a wimp like Weaver. In their eyes, that's poor cinema. I'm glad that there are still exceptions such as you, Steef. Then again, you're not 18 any more. You became wiser over the years.

8 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Yes, but it was like that in the '70s, you know, when people weren't superheroes. Later generations that grew up on Van Damme, Stallone and Schwarznegger, they don't understand why the salesman isn't able to break free from his tight situation. They don't understand the concept of the anti-hero. It's that same generation that doesn't understand that in Blade Runner the great Harrison Ford gets his butt kicked all the time.

I love the near invincible action heroes of the 80s, but I also love the more meekish heroes who get their arseholes ripped inside out and have to beat the obstacles and not necessarily looking good doing it.

7 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

But they grew up with different examples or role models. They don't want to identify with a wimp like Weaver. In their eyes, that's poor cinema. I'm glad that there are still exceptions such as you, Steef. Then again, you're not 18 any more. You became wiser over the years.

Weren't role models like James Bond, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood essentially the same. Indestructible heroes who would never walk away from a fight?

The 80's made these heroes preposterously immortal, but it's an age old stereotype dating back to...Hercules?

27 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Really?

I grew up on Arnie, Sly, Bruce etc. But I know that there's a lot more then that, and that the characters they plyed usually arent't very realistic.

Weaver's character is entirely plausible. Put in a situation that he has never been in before, and with no idea how to handle himself. I think most of us would react more like David Mann then John Wayne.

Who are these "many people" anyway? Who are "they"? I've just visited Duel's imdb and had a quick google around and didn't find any sign of them. Maybe Alex is nurturing myths for pseudointellectual purposes. 

It's curious actually (and perhaps rather telling) that Alex cited Lester Nygaard as an example of an "anti-hero"; because the character, whilst sympathetic in the very beginning, was quickly shown to be a despicable weasel with absolutely no redeeming qualifies whatsoever. And yet Alexcremers rooted for him...

Lester Nygaard is no Walter White, put it that way. Incidentally, it was this brilliant role in which for me Martin Freeman finally ceased to be Tim Canterbury. 

gfXJ5dA.jpg

Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood and J.R. Ewing... these are the true kind of antiheroes people tend to get behind. The big distinction between those and Lester Nygaard of course (apart from oil baronary) is that they are strong and determined bastards - and not cowardly weasels. People will root for them because they admire them. Who ever roots for the coward? 

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Weren't role models like James Bond, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood essentially the same. Indestructible heroes who would never walk away from a fight?

The 80's made these heroes preposterously immortal, but it's an age old stereotype dating back to...Hercules?

Of course, the '80 didn't invent the hero but the problem is that some people don't discover about the anti-hero because they don't like to watch old movies. 

I know about them because I live on Earth... and the internet, of course. It's an outlet of what people think. Most people prefer the latest thing and not something  a previous generation. Then there's market analysis. There's a reason why you only see movies not older than 10 years on most channels.

On 9-1-2016 at 10:37 AM, Drax said:

I want to know where that girl bought a consumer grade camcorder that shoots in 2.35:1.

Here legendary director Martin Scorsese is talking about the actual camera that Night used for ... The Visit.

Watched Jaws last night. Must have been about 14-15 years since my last viewing. Bought a cheap Blu-ray the other day. And god, does it look great on this disc. Even though, by today standards, the first half moves at a deliberate pace, there is absolutely no fat in this film. It's superbly paced and efficient in its storytelling. We all sometimes films remain great, because of nostalgia reasons, but this one holds up marvelously. I still can't believe that Spielberg managed to pull this off, with so many production difficulties.

I know it all sounds obvious but, for me, it's been so long that I approached it with some caution. Most often than not, these things tend to have an expiry date.

And yes, Alex. It did surpass Twilight on my list. ;)

Karol

It's the cabin scene where they tell old stories that hamper the movie a bit. Let me put it this way, it's not a scene that keeps me endlessly entertained. Do you agree?

36 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I like the scene, but I do understand where you're coming from. It's a bit more talky and Nolanesque (ha!) for such a tight film as Jaws.

Karol

I have a problem with characters telling stories in movies. I bothered me a lot during the first seasons in Game Of Thrones (luckily they stopped doing this). Then I read that Stanley Kubrick once said that characters telling stories in movies is dull and I finally knew that I wasn't alone with this. I'm not going to say that great minds think alike because I'm not better than anyone else here. I know lost of people love characters telling stories but personally I would avoid it as much as possible. It's kinda a cheap and obvious way to get into the head of a character.