What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Also, it deepens the more physical-action dominated parts surrounding it. It's all about balance. Whatever Kubrick said, he probably didn't object to the Indianapolis speech.

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The scene works because it shows that Quint is more then we have seen of him up to that point. (A swearing, can crushing, beer-swilling bully of a man)

Robert Shaw really sells it.

Yes, I agree, but to me it's scenes like these that wear off more quickly upon revisiting. They might work the first time but they get a bit boring after a while. 

Regardless of whether this scene is just talky exposition or not, you sort of needed it at this point. Because there is no use of having all three characters entering the film's climax without not having any bond at all.

Karol

Just now, crocodile said:

Regardless of whether this scene is just talky exposition or not, you sort of needed it at this point. Because there is no use of having all three characters entering the film's climax without not having any bond at all.

Karol

It realy isn't talking exposition. It's a character a story that isn't directly related to what the film is about. It's not bluntly giving the viewer info by just having a character talk on screen.

Surely you see the difference?

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It realy isn't talking exposition. It's a character a story that isn't directly related to what the film is about. It's not bluntly giving the viewer info by just having a character talk on screen.

Surely you see the difference?

All I'm saying is that in ideal world it would have been perfect to deliver all that character information without him having to tell a story.

Karol

9 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Karol

I understand. I once liked it too, but because it's a character telling a story it's more susceptible to the law of diminishing returns.  It's simply a dull scene, cinematically speaking, that is. We should learn about characters by observing their actions, not their stories. 

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The actual character information isn't really the point of the Indianapolis story. It's more about the moods it's sets.

Yeah, I do realise that. 

Karol

It does.

We get to observe these characters on a long night in a tiny box surrounding by water. What do men do on such a night? Get drunk and swap stories. 

It's a atmospheric scene which is about more then the WWII story.

Another thing I noticed (or noticed again) is how little music there is in the film. It never overuses this potential "gimmick". There's no real underscore in there. You know, music just used as a lazy dramatic crutch.

Karol

My understanding of a hipster is anyone who makes it their life mission to be different to everyone else and to constantly enforce the idea to others that one is truly unique, and thus enlightened (and refined). 

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

My understanding of a hipster is anyone who makes it their life mission to be different to everyone else and to constantly enforce the idea to others that one is truly unique, and thus enlightened. 

Hipsters are so different from anyone else that you recognize them straight away because they all look the same.

What could happen though is I could watch something like Mad Max again and have my view change on it. I'm not the unmoving sort, I just like what I like. Isn't that how it is for most of us? Essentially, I'm casual about entertainment and art. Hipsters would never admit to that. 

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Hipsters are so different from anyone else that you recognize them straight away because they all look the same.

Plonkers generally standout to everyone else. 

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

PG Tips is actually disgusting. No wonder you English need milk to dilute it!

Karol

That, and every now and then Yorkshire Tea or Tetley's. I don't like the trendy teas, Englishmen generally don't. 

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Plonkers generally standout to everyone else. 

That, and every now and then Yorkshire Tea or Tetley's. I don't like the trendy teas, Englishmen generally don't. 

I know! And it is the strangest thing about England, given how spoilt for choice you are.

We, continental folk, like our tea more trendy. It's not like I specificially pick some weird flavours.

I generally have some tea with honey and lemon. Massive mug, like I'm having at this very moment. I think it's just Sainsbury's regular Earl Grey.

Karol

13 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Englishmen generally don't. 

Earl Grey or breakfast tea usually. If i go eclectic i might risk a mint tea.

My sister likes trendy teas. She even served me a glass of boiling water with a chunk of ginger in it saying it was tea.

This week I watched The Sleepers, that I didn't saw for years. Always as good, and the music of John Williams is perfect! The Academy Award nomination he got for this score was totally justified.

The program for today, is to try to give a second chance to Nixon.

(60's) USA politics is sooooo far from my reality, even if I'm in Canada. The first time I tried to saw the movie, I was really bored at the very first minutes and wonder "Why do I want to see this movie again?".

This time, I will try to focus on the music ;-)

Wish me good luck!

Ant-Man

It deviates slightly from its Marvel predecessors, but that's about all there is to say about this film. I've already forgotten most of it. Dull, unengaging and poorly told.

Gravity

Fucking amazing.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Ant-Man

It deviates slightly from its Marvel predecessors, but that's about all there is to say about this film. I've already forgotten most of it. Dull, unengaging and poorly told.

I was looking forward to it when Edgar Wright was gonna direct.

17 minutes ago, publicist said:

Also, NIXON is fairly basic, politic-wise. There isn't any insider knowledge required (i suppose the Watergate scandal might so some which would be strange enough).

It's a weird film. But I can't decide whether that's good or bad. It's very Citizen Kane in its ambitions. And yet it also makes it laughable.

Karol

It doesn't groove, that Nixon film. Everything feels wooden and rigid. 

Snow White And The Huntsman:

The first hour was kinda watchable yet very fragmentary. I guess the best thing about it is the look. I really start to dislike Charlize Theron though. 'Exaggerated' and overacting are not a strong enough words to describe her performance as the queen. I can't say much about the second hour because that's when I got tired of it. And so I decided to watch another episode of Narcos instead. 

Alex

To Be or Not to Be 

I'd never heard of this movie before seeing it with my Mel Brooks collection. I didn't even realize that he was married to Anne Bancroft. But this was a well structured funny movie with a lot of familiar faces.