What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Harry Potter and the Deathly Boring Hallows Part 1

This just might be the dreariest children's film ever made.  Every single moment of this film is drenched in gloom or angst and it's all filmed in a dull monochromatic way.  Desplat's score has its moments though, much better than his overrated effort for Part 2.  

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

5 is mediocre. But 6 is a superb study of dread and gloominess.

The 6th is ok, as is the 5th to a lesser degree.  7 & 7-2 are gloomy as hell.

It's a shame they gave the lion's share of the movies to the boring David Yates.

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

6 is the ugliest looking film in history!

Wrong!

http://admin.highdefdigest.com/picture/original/38026

http://admin.highdefdigest.com/picture/original/38022

http://admin.highdefdigest.com/picture/original/38021

Nothing can match the overwhelming stink of Les Miserables' cinematography!  

Just watched Winter's Bone for the 3,000th time. One of my favourites. I remember seeing it in a tiny little art-house cinema when it was released. It was playing for only a few days and in a room where the screen was basically a pulled down canvas on a wall, and there were 5 or 6 others in the screening with me on fold out chairs. Proper low-budget viewing. But I fell in love with the film and of course Jennifer Lawrence. Who knew she'd become the biggest actress in the world.

Also just watching Contact tonight and discovered an amazing feature on my dvd. There is an option to watch the film with just music. So the audio is muted with only Silvestri's score playing. Wonderful little feature.

13 hours ago, Mr. Big said:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Boring Hallows Part 1

This just might be the dreariest children's film ever made.  Every single moment of this film is drenched in gloom or angst

Any curiosity I might have had has been sucked away like the dregs of used bathwater down the gurgling plughole after reading this. 

On 1/3/2016 at 5:35 PM, Stefancos said:

It is beautiful! And Oscar nominated

Draco's forays in the Room of Requirement and the climatic scene in the tower are beautifully photographed. But the Burrow scenes and every other scene in HBP looks drab or overly filtered. Bruno Delbonnel's style is like that... and I have the same problems with Dark Shadows as well.

And Mr. Big, if you're bemoaning how dreary and angst-filled Deathly Hallows 1 is-- you haven't seen the first Twilight or The Seeker: The Dark Is Rising. Those are far drearier and uglier.

3 hours ago, Matt C said:

And Mr. Big, if you're bemoaning how dreary and angst-filled Deathly Hallows 1 is-- you haven't seen the first Twilight or The Seeker: The Dark Is Rising. Those are far drearier and uglier.

New Moon is worse. I actually didn't mind the first Twilight for its corniness.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Inside Llewyn Davis looks fantastic. I honestly didn't miss Deakins on that one.

I forgot I still have to watch that.

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Inside Llewyn Davis looks fantastic. I honestly didn't miss Deakins on that one.

Delbonnel's style is hit-and-miss for me. Llewyn Davis looked fantastic, as well as Big Eyes, Amelie and A Very Long Engagement. But a lot of the English-speaking films he lenses... not so much.

8 hours ago, Drax said:

New Moon is worse. I actually didn't mind the first Twilight for its corniness.

New Moon is hilarious. Desplat's score gives the movie more entertainment value than it deserves.

Cinderella

While Ever After has a more realistic tone and stronger empowerment message, Kenneth Branagh's Disney version is a pure fairy tale. In terms of story and characters, it beats the original 1950s animated version hand over foot. Branagh keeps the film running smoothly but doesn't rush things, and it makes a good double-feature with Ever After.

It should be interesting to see how Bill Condon handles the live-action Beauty and the Beast next year.

I watched Empire of the Sun for the first time in about 15 years last night, I'd owned the blu-ray for ages and finally burst it out of its cellophane. I didn't really know what to think of it immediately after. It is certainly a disjointed film and that in that respect it reminded me of Spielberg's War Horse - a movie which also has an episodic structure and which perhaps reveals a weakness of the director when crafting a story using such a form factor. There's good and weak scenes in both films, but overall there is a lack of cohesive emotional sweep binding events together. I used to love Empire of the Sun, but seeing it again through somewhat older eyes has exposed its many flaws to me. It was an interesting realisation, as I watched: that Spielberg really wasn't ready for the heavyweight stuff back in his wunderkind heyday. Still, it is definitely an admirable attempt at what is a very heavy duty source. 

One view that has remained unchanged in my lengthy break from the film is that the score is wrong for the film. Apart from a couple of good uneasy ambience cues, John Williams laid it on far too thick on this occasion and the music reduces otherwise strong scenes to pithy melodrama and even smaltz at pretty regular intervals. He (and Spielberg) get the tone all wrong, and it's damaging. I bet Brian Eno hates this movie. 

Still, Empire of the Sun is a very handsome film and looks like it was shot yesterday. There's some great casting too, it was nice to see Nigel Havers and Leslie Phillips again and I even spotted Ben Stiller in there for the first time. The screenplay outside of Bale's loquacious schoolboy is notably prudent, and it underpins the many moments of static photographic expression well. 3 out of 5. 

The score is purposely used to enhance the fact that we are seeing almost everything through Jim's warped childhood viewpoint.

There's almost no score (or more ambient) stuff used when we're seeing what's really happening more or less straight up, and then the score is laid on thick when we're seeing the world through his eyes.

20 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I watched Empire of the Sun for the first time in about 15 years last night, I'd owned the blu-ray for ages and finally burst it out of its cellophane. I didn't really know what to think of it immediately after. It is certainly a disjointed film and that in that respect it reminded me of Spielberg's War Horse - a movie which also has an episodic structure and which perhaps reveals a weakness of the director when crafting a story using such a form factor. There's good and weak scenes in both films, but overall there is a lack of cohesive emotional sweep binding events together. I used to love Empire of the Sun, but seeing it again through somewhat older eyes has exposed its many flaws to me. It was an interesting realisation, as I watched: that Spielberg really wasn't ready for the heavyweight stuff back in his wunderkind heyday. Still, it is definitely an admirable attempt at what is a very heavy duty source. 

One view that has remained unchanged in my lengthy break from the film is that the score is wrong for the film. Apart from a couple of good uneasy ambience cues, John Williams laid it on far too thick on this occasion and the music reduces otherwise strong scenes to pithy melodrama and even smaltz at pretty regular intervals. He (and Spielberg) get the tone all wrong, and it's damaging. I bet Brian Eno hates this movie. 

Still, Empire of the Sun is a very handsome film and looks like it was shot yesterday. There's some great casting too, it was nice to see Nigel Havers and Leslie Phillips again and I even spotted Ben Stiller in there for the first time. The screenplay outside of Bale's loquacious schoolboy is notably prudent, and it underpins the many moments of static photographic expression well. 3 out of 5. 

Idiot!

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

The score is purposely used to enhance the fact that we are seeing almost everything through Jim's warped childhood viewpoint.

I know. I don't think it works.

Somewhere Only We Know

Visually, it is a sumptuous travelogue set in and around Prague and the basic plot is about interweaving love stories, but it is all over the place. Director/co-star Xu Jinglei and her six co-writers can't decide if it should be a romantic comedy, World War II melodrama, or family drama. She tries to do it all, but it comes off as forced. Jinglei and Claudia Likun light up the screen, but former boy band member Kris can't hold his own.

Still, with all its faults, it's harmless and watchable.

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

:up:

Spielberg's most beautiful and best because of the content (the loss of a defence mechanism called innocence), its narrative point of view (the skewed reality of a child) and because it's his least straightforward one (nothing is as it seems) it's therefore his most interesting to me, especially upon revisiting. It's the only Spielberg movie gets better over time. It probably boasts the best performance of Christian Bale too. 

Alex

33 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It probably boasts the best performance of Christian Bale too. 

Spielberg isn't usually thought of as an actor's director, but it's interesting to note the famous or acclaimed actors who had early breakout roles in a Spielberg film and it's still considered among their very best work, if not THE best. I count Drew Barrymore, Christian Bale, Whoopi Goldberg, Ralph Fiennes, and Djimon Hounsou.

And on a semi-related note, it's kinda fun to remember actors who had "before they were famous" roles in a Spielberg movie before hitting greater heights. Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Vin Diesel, Bryan Cranston, Nathan Fillion, Paul Giamatti, Amy Adams, Elizabeth Banks, Adam Driver.

Even Oprah!

My girlfriend at the time picked The Color Purple for her English literature GCSE as I went for Empire of the Sun. She got big into Alice Walker as a result whilst I was already big on Spielberg and his adaptation of EotS further cemented it, at the time. I remember though she was quite critical of his adaptation of TCP and she pretty much rejected it, mainly because, as I remember it, the young Beard greatly played down the lesbian relationship side of Walker's novel. Probably my earliest memory of debating movies. 

Haven't watched it for about a decade. Should I see it again, after what happened with Empire of the Sun? 

Two empire movies in a week? I have a bad feeling about this...

It's worth watching again, but only if you download Harmy's Despecialized Edition.  Watching the Blu Ray version with George Lucas's awful changes will just make you angry

8 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Haven't watched it for about a decade. Should I see it again, after what happened with Empire of the Sun? 

Two empire movies in a week? I have a bad feeling about this...

Didn't you watch it on tv not too long ago? I'm sure you posted about it some months back because I meant to reply.

Yeah like Jay said, look for the versions by a guy called Harmy, I know it might be kind of a pain in the arse as it means finding them and downloading them.

The problems with watching the commercially available versions go way beyond the obvious changes, like the special edition stuff, etc.

There are so many subtle alterations which really do affect the movies in a bad way and because they're not the obvious kind of changes you can come away from the movies a little underwhelmed perhaps without truly realising why.

I honestly recommend looking for those versions man.

I've caught Star Wars a few times on TV on a Saturday afternoon because it's frequently repeated, so I suppose I've probably also caught the second half of Empire and Jedi as the Beeb always follow them up with the sequels. 

I have to look away every time Vader doesn't say bringing shuttle, though. 

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's worth watching again, but only if you download Harmy's Despecialized Edition.  Watching the Blu Ray version with George Lucas's awful changes will just make you angry

It's too big a file for me to download. I just watch the 2006 DVD.