What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The Grudge 3

I don't know, this is actually better than the first two big studio films (as well as most of Shimizu's Japanese Ju-on entries), simply on the virtue of a coherent storyline. For a low-budget DTV sequel, Toby Wilkins nails the look of the films but it's not scary, in fact some of the 'scary' scenes are funny. I don't know if it's the routine script or the direction, but if you're looking for some blood and gore, this one offers some. But there is atmosphere and some nice low-key performances from Johanna Brady and Shawnee Smith. (And if you're a ST:NG fan, Marina Sirtis has a cameo too.)

I don't want to oversell this -- it IS a DTV sequel after all -- but it's watchable and it puts the rest of its DTV ilk to shame.

They're fun if done properly. I'll have to check out Dragonheart 3: The Sorcerer's Curse because of Mark McKenzie's OST. It's one of the finest scores written last year IMO, and it probably made the movie more enjoyable too.

10 hours ago, KK. said:

In the Bedroom

First time watching this. Fantastic. Really sticks with you after the credits roll.

I can't wait for the next Todd Field movie. Have you seen Little Children, KK.? 

Basic Instinct 2

Sharon Stone looks like a Botoxed hooker here, but she can still vamp it up. For a prolonged sequel to a salacious film, it's pretty tame in terms of the sexual content compared to the original. And for some reason (whether blackmail or pay), the movie corralled some excellent talent to support Stone: David Morrissey, David Thewlis, and Charlotte Rampling. It's an entertainingly bad movie, but composer John Murphy uses Goldsmith's themes too much.

the-boy-in-the-striped-pajamas.jpg

The Boy In The Striped Pajamas

Had never seen this one before.  Marcy had and wanted to watch it again, and I am happy to watch any film scored by Horner.  I liked it, its an interesting and fairly well told story.  I think what's interesting is that despite the fact that its PG13, its basically more dark than the likes of Schindler's List or The Pianist.  What a crazy ending!

11 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I can't wait for the next Todd Field movie. Have you seen Little Children, KK.? 

I saw it once a long time ago, and I enjoyed it then. I'll have to see it again soon though.

Anyone know when the next Field film is coming out?

Field is current tied to 3 films, but who knows if any will actually get made.

1. Blood Meridian, based on the Cormac McCarthy novel.  Ridley Scott was going to do it but then passed; there hasn't been any updates on this in forever so its probably dead.

2. The Creed of Violence, starring Leonoardo DiCaprio, no news on this one since 2011 so its probably dead too

3. A narrative film based on the documentary The Battered Bastards of Baseball, which he appeared in

I agree for Todd Field is a very good storyteller. In The Bedroom and Villeneuve's Prisoners have some things in common. You really get into the minds of the characters of both movies.

watched a film from 1973 White Lightning directed by Joseph Sargent. It's a low budget car chase film starring Burt Reynolds. Has some terrific car chases that do not go beyond your ability to believe. Ned Beatty is a terrific bad guy. It was literally filmed right by my home. It's not a great movie but it's a fun film for it's type. Love the ending.

Love Bernstein's score for that one. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Field is current tied to 3 films, but who knows if any will actually get made.

1. Blood Meridian, based on the Cormac McCarthy novel.  Ridley Scott was going to do it but then passed; there hasn't been any updates on this in forever so its probably dead.

2. The Creed of Violence, starring Leonoardo DiCaprio, no news on this one since 2011 so its probably dead too

3. A narrative film based on the documentary The Battered Bastards of Baseball, which he appeared in

Wasn't James Franco going to do Blood Meridian?

Die Hard, the second half of my Alan Rickman viewing tribute. Only the third time I've seen the film and mightily fun all the same. Focus being on Rickman, brilliant which leads to the first film, Friday, which was the polar opposite of Die Hard...Galaxy Quest.

Immensely quotable (and most from Rickman's Dr Lazarus -"I see you got your shirt off"-). I had long hoped for a sequel, even this long after the first but well, no more.

"By grabhar's hammer...you shall be avenged."

The Apparition

I've sure watched better supernatural flicks than this. It starts off really good with the seance and I really liked how the mystery unfolded. It really had potential. But then it just ended! Now I'm all for abstraction and all that shit, but the ending wasn't even clever.

There's no humour, no relief. Back in the day, movies like Poltergeist had some light banter to lift the mood, which is mandatory for films like this because they're at risk of becoming embroiled in their own sense of grimness. But visually it takes some cues from Poltergeist.

The leads were as interesting as a MIMS guide, but at least Ashley Greene was remarkably nice to look at. She looks a lot like Kristen Stewart in some shots, which was probably why they cut her hair short in the Twilight movies so people wouldn't get confused.

Rain Man

Hoffman and Cruise may seem like an unlikely pairing, but they work fantastically together. Both give exceptional performances in this character-driven road movie. Good old-fashioned storytelling. Me likey.

Avengers: Age of Ultron

So this is where the Marvel Cinematic Universe finally buckles under its own weight and collapses in on itself. This film is a messy disaster. Too many characters, too many subplots. There's just not enough room for everything. It could have been a great story about Tony Stark turning into Oppenheimer and needing the help of his Avenger friends to undo his mistake. Instead, there's all sorts of other shit crammed in there. The movie feels like it's laboring away a checklist rather than taking us through a cohesive narrative. It all looks fantastic, but all the expensive visual effects in the world can't save this thing from being what it is: a bad movie.

Yep. Far too many characters, far too convoluted a story.

Who's the guy on the Helicarrier the movie focuses on? Why is he there? Why does the film spend any time on him? (I figured it was a Agents Of Shield Cameo, but it isnt)

The Avengers was the end result of what the first batch of MCU films had been leading too. Age of Ultron feels like it's mostly there to set up Civil War and Avengers 3/4....

Still, good Elfman theme.

1 hour ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Avengers: Age of Ultron

So this is where the Marvel Cinematic Universe finally buckles under its own weight and collapses in on itself. This film is a messy disaster. Too many characters, too many subplots. There's just not enough room for everything. It could have been a great story about Tony Stark turning into Oppenheimer and needing the help of his Avenger friends to undo his mistake. Instead, there's all sorts of other shit crammed in there. The movie feels like it's laboring away a checklist rather than taking us through a cohesive narrative. It all looks fantastic, but all the expensive visual effects in the world can't save this thing from being what it is: a bad movie.

I agree with everything except what I have highlighted in bold.

When the S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarrier is attacked by Ultron's robots at the end, there's a peculiar focus on the reactions of one particular technician, while Fury and Hill take out a robot that enters the bridge. That one didn't bother me as much, but the guy did get a lot of big close ups for seemingly no particular reason.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Apparently he's a character called Cameron Klein who was also in a tiny role in The Winter Soldier.

I have no idea how to keep track of this stuff anymore.

1 minute ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I have no idea how to keep track of this stuff anymore.

Since there's another character with the same name, but played by a different actor who appeared in Agents Of Shield, I'm guessing Marvel can't either.