What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

The Pink Panther

Making my way through the new blu-ray set. Great film, but one of the rare cases for a comedy franchise where the sequels get better.

Make sure you watch A SHOT IN THE DARK, and make sure you don't watch INSPECTOR CLOUSEAU.

Wait 'till you get to RETURN; funny as!

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Exactly, he's barely in the first film, and A Shot In The Dark amends that wonderfully.

The bedroom scene is a brilliant pre-cursor of what's to follow, though. 

See? :)

I watched the DVD. Already found multiple European reviews that confirm the same: because of the 'correction' of the speed, there are lots of weird issues with the sound.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Make sure you watch A SHOT IN THE DARK, and make sure you don't watch INSPECTOR CLOUSEAU.

Wait 'till you get to RETURN; funny as!

See? :)

I've already seen all of these films multiple times. 

Batman Begins:

I enjoyed it the last time I watched it so I thought why not.

- It's a simple story for Nolan's doing.

- Noticed that there's constantly music. A little too much if you ask me.

- Still enjoyable, until the climax, that is. I was slowly but surely falling asleep during the Batmobile on rooftops, Gordon in action, monorail moments.

- film is formulaic and does its best to be liked.

- I've seen it now.

batman-begins-scarecrow-screencaps-dr-jo

Alex

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I watched the DVD. Already found multiple European reviews that confirm the same: because of the 'correction' of the speed, there are lots of weird issues with the sound.

So you are saying they should have just let PAL sound like PAL, not try to make sound like what it is not?

Begins may seem formulaic (though that's a complaint that barely makes much sense to me honestly), but at the time it was seen as being really fresh, and was praised for its serious tone. Great film BTW, even saw it in the cinemas.

A History of Violence - 9 / 10

Catching up on the last two pages of. This thread right now was a wild ride.

Alex completely misinterprets someone's post, then instead of saying "woops, I get it now", he continues to explain why he was right and everybody who understood the post correctly is wrong. Classic. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Catching up on the last two pages of. This thread right now was a wild ride.

Alex completely misinterprets someone's post, then instead of saying "woops, I get it now", he continues to explain why he was right and everybody who understood the post correctly is wrong. Classic. 

Classic Jay! Not even gonna explain why. 

6 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Begins may seem formulaic (though that's a complaint that barely makes much sense to me honestly), but at the time it was seen as being really fresh, and was praised for its serious tone. Great film BTW, even saw it in the cinemas.

I simply noticed that all the typical tricks and ingredients are there. Ingredients that other movies did too well before BB. Indeed, I guess the serious tone is what made this Batman movie different. But it got a lot more serious in TDK. Also, Gotham in BB is still an attempt to create some kind of imaginary city, though a lot more realistic than previous endeavours. In TDK, Gotham City looks exactly like the cities we know. The Fantasy dress up is completely out of the window. In a way, BB forms the bridge between the Fantasy, imaginary approach of the old days and the dead-on realism of later DC movies like MOS.

By the way, why do people that say it's the most influential movie ever made? 

44 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I simply noticed that all the typical tricks and ingredients are there. Ingredients that other movies did too well before BB. Indeed, I guess the serious tone is what made this Batman movie different. But it got a lot more serious in TDK. Also, Gotham in BB is still an attempt to create some kind of imaginary city, though a lot more realistic than previous endeavours. In TDK, Gotham City looks exactly like the cities we know. The Fantasy dress up is completely out of the window. In a way, BB forms the bridge between the Fantasy, imaginary approach of the old days and the dead-on realism of later DC movies like MOS.

By the way, why do people that say it's the most influential movie ever made? 

In BB it's still a pretty gritty looking city though with positive "prospers" / having more of a future look to it. Te difference is, is that in the TDK it looks a lot more "bleak", I guess you could say, which was done deliberately in order to reflect the continue downward collapse of the city's structure, rules, & people. 

Just to be clear, 'gritty' is a dress-up as well. It does not equal realism. Nolan wanted gritty because he thought of Blade Runner when making BB. With TDK, Nolan was in a Heat mode.

26f6d7ac2071ec8810fffb243a3db730.jpg

I stopped watching because it took way to long for what it was. Today I checked RT to see if it was critically revered but it only got a 43%. 

I'm just gonna use this thread to gush about how Alamo Drafthouse is showing Batman Returns (OTHER FAVORITE TIM BURTON MOVIE AND FAVORITE DANNY ELFMAN SCORE) on July 10th. I wasn't sure at first as I'm low on dough, then I discovered I had a free birthday ticket I never used!

SO HEEEEEEEEEERE WE GO!

1. Pee-wee's Big Adventure

2. Batman Returns

3. Beetlejuice

4. Edward Scissorhands

5. Ed Wood

6. Batman

7. Sleepy Hollow

8. Big Fish

9. Mars Attacks!

10. The Ones I Didn't See or Wish I Hadn't

The ones I bothered ranking are all good-to-great movies.

Independence Day. I didn't want to watch this film at first because of the simplistic plot and all, but my brother kept telling me I should give it a try and today seemed the perfect opportunity. It's actually not bad at all given the uncomplicated story. I liked how they managed to make me care about nearly all
the characters. At the beginning, it was rather difficult to keep track of who was who and I definitely missed the fact that the First Lady was not on the airplane with the President, but other than that, I rather enjoyed it.

The score was even better. It's so refreshing to hear a purely orchestral score that will remind me of this film forever, that will probably work perfectly as a stand-alone listening experience and that does more than aimlessly accompanying the film. Very interesting underscore and main themes, and I especially liked the music in the President's speech. Happy independence day, everyone!