What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

Yes it was a rushed production: something like nine months from pre, to release.

You're mixing this up with The Post.  There's no way they got a production this complicated from pre prod to release in 9 months.  Filming started 8 months before release and it is literally impossible that they started planning this movie a month ahead.  That insane set with the crashed plane alone would've taken a month to plan!

11 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

It suffers from the same problem as the 2014 Godzilla, it hides what people paid to see. There weren't enough alien attack scenes.

See, this kind of respone boggles my mind, regardles of War of the Worlds (which I don't care for very much).

The whole idea of highlights in film is that they are savored. How much Hannibal Lecter is there in The Silence of the Lambs? How much is the xenomorph shown in Alien? The aliens in Signs? The Shark in Jaws?

No matter how spectacular a visual is, how ferocious a character design looks, how exciting an action beat or camera movement is, or how engaging a piece of drama is - if an audience is exposed to it for enough time, they'll grow used to it, saturated in it and eventually tired of it.

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

See, this kind of respone boggles my mind.

The whole idea of highlights in film is that they are savored. How much Hannibal Lecter is there in The Silence of the Lambs? How much is the xenomorph shown in Alien? The aliens in Signs? The Shark in Jaws?

No matter how spectacular a visual is, how ferocious a character design looks, how exciting an action beat or camera movement is, or how engaging a piece of drama is - if an audience is exposed to it for enough time, they'll grow used to it, saturated in it and eventually tired of it.

When the movie is called "War of the Worlds", I expect to see a goddamn alien war happening, not hiding in basements! Same with Godzilla, it's been 30 friggin movies, he should be the star, why were they hiding him?!

11 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

It suffers from the same problem as the 2014 Godzilla, it hides what people paid to see. There weren't enough alien attack scenes...

Jerry, Spielberg's films aren't about the big gesture, even though a lot of his films have them. The guy in CE3K says it all: these are ordinary people, in extraordinary circumstances.

16 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

It suffers from the same problem as the 2014 Godzilla, it hides what people paid to see. There weren't enough alien attack scenes, and most of it focuses on friggin kitchen sink domestic problems I don't give a shit about. It should have been more about scientists, the government, the military, and given us more of an insight into how authorities responded to the attack.

That's Spielberg though, isn't it?

I was talking to a friend at the pub last night about how Spielberg has never made a truly "epic" film. Many of his films has had epic backgrounds, but he's not really interested in epic events...he likes telling smaller stories about the people caught up in those events. From Spielberg's POV, showing more of the aliens, the attack, the military response would have been beside the point...and probably not something he was interested in seeing.

Not a value judgement, but the kind of film you're describing most likely isn't something Spielberg would be interested in making.

Just now, Richard said:

Jerry, Spielberg's films aren't about the big gesture, even though a lot of his films have them. The guy in CE3K says it all: these are ordinary people, in extraordinary circumstances.

Yeah I suppose Spoilberg loikes plonking regular people into extraordinary circumstances. Still I'd grown sick of the whole daddy issues in his movies by that point.

I like to think of Lincoln as his ultimate daddy issues movie, as an entire nation wrestles with the legacy of its Founding Fathers ;) 

I'm sorry.  That was bad even for me.

2 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

That's Spielberg though, isn't it?

I was talking to a friend at the pub last night about how Spielberg has never made a truly "epic" film. Many of his films has had epic backgrounds, but he's not really interested in epic events...he likes telling smaller stories about the people caught up in those events. From Spielberg's POV, showing more of the aliens, the attack, the military response would have been beside the point...and probably not something he was interested in seeing.

Not a value judgement, but the kind of film you're describing most likely isn't something Spielberg would be interested in making.

Yeah Roland Emmerich already succeeded at it in '96. But then he tried it again in '16 and made a shitshow. ID4 was a fluke.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I like to think of Lincoln as his ultimate daddy issues movie, as an entire nation wrestles with the legacy of its Founding Fathers ;) 

I'm sorry.  That was bad even for me.

That was bad even for Jurassic Shark.

13 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

When the movie is called "War of the Worlds", I expect to see a goddamn alien war happening, not hiding in basements! Same with Godzilla, it's been 30 friggin movies, he should be the star, why were they hiding him?!

I always caution against taking too much of a lead from a film's title as to its content. To my mind, the title is a marketing element, first and foremost. Its part of the brand, as it were. More often that not, it has little bearing on the actual plot.

To take a few of my own examples: What does the title "The Silence of the Lambs" tell you about the plot film? What does the title of Signs tell you?

The thing that tells you what a film is or isn't is the opening two sequences, and even then a film often "turns" significantly at the midpoint, as indeed War of the Worlds does.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I always caution against taking too much of a lead from a film's title as to its content. To my mind, the title is a marketing element, first and foremost - its part of the brand, as it were. More often that not, it has little bearing on the actual plot.

Well Spielberg was pretty stuck with that title anyway, huh? It's not like he could call it "War with my Dad".

19 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Well Spielberg was pretty stuck with that title anyway, huh? It's not like he could call it "War with my Dad".

Yeah, but this issue with titles is as true to books as it is to films. The title is meant to draw people into the work, more than it is meant to inform them of the work's actual content, which is fine.

Some of my favorite movies are ordinary people in pretty ordinary circumstances!

Maybe I'll try categorizing all movies in one of four categories

OE. Ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances

OO. Ordinary people in ordinary circumstances

EE Extraordinary people in extraordinary circumstances

EO. Extraordinary people in ordinary circumstances

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Speaking of good storytelling, where's Chief O'Hallahan gone?

He'll come back.  Just showing my appreciation for Michael Steele for a bit.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Some of my favorite movies are ordinary people in pretty ordinary circumstances!

Ordinary circumstances can become extraordinary if you face them in unique ways.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Maybe I'll try categorizing all movies in one of three 

OE. Ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances

OO. Ordinary people in ordinary circumstances

EE Extraordinary people in extraordinary circumstances

EO. Extraordinary people in ordinary circumstances

Er...that's four.

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Yeah, but this issue with titles is as true to books as it is to films. The title is meant to draw people into the work, more than it is meant to inform them of the work's actual content.

No kidding. I still think The Neverending Story was false advertising. 

6 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

No! Women are perfect! They must be worshipped and put on pedestals for us all to grovel to!

Sounds good to me!

Right after War of the Worlds (2005)... Home Alone!!! 

Somewhere in my memory... 

All of the music, all of the magic

... segue into Harry’s Wondrous World 

plus a quote of Hedwig’s Theme on the Horns

Christmasy and heroic!!!!

[Sugar overload...]

because I was literally home alone🙇🏻‍♂️

👻 gif saved for later use😉

242D4B6E-0950-4A7B-BDE4-2790DE6FB44B.gif