What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

original-25656-1438604261-25.jpg?downsiz

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Boring, stuffy take on Forrest Gump, built on a misguided premise. It doesn't even look very good, for the most part (the shot above, being an exception). Not sure what drew Fincher to this in the first place, nor why he felt the need to dawdle on for 3 hours about it, but it leaves little to remember.

There wasn't a very good roster of films on my last flight back...

25 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

At least Cate Blanchett looked oddly sexy in it.

I find Blanchett in general, very sexy.

46 minutes ago, KK said:

I find Blanchett in general, very sexy.

Yes. When I watched the supposed forth Indiana Jones film, that was one of the things I was most suprised at: it takes a hell of a lot of talent (or, rather, the inverse of talent) to make Cate Blanchett look unappealing, but they did it! 

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Yes. When I watched the supposed forth Indiana Jones film, that was one of the things I was most suprised at: it takes a hell of a lot of talent (or, rather, the inverse of talent) to make Cate Blanchett look unappealing, but they did it! 

After reading the script, she probably wanted to disappear in the role..."I look unrecognizable because it's method, I swear!"

I find her pretty, but she's not really my type.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Lord no she’s not my type.  She’d scare me to death I’m sure.  But a beauty to admire from afar.

I meant it more in the physical sense, I have no idea what she's like as a person. I've only seen her in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Life Aquatic, maybe if I see her in motion in the right role....

I think she has that undeniable, classic "old-school" Hollywood beauty. She's not necessarily my type either, but when she's on screen, I can't take my eyes off her.

2 minutes ago, KK said:

I think she has that undeniable, classic "old-school" Hollywood beauty. She's not necessarily my type either, but when she's on screen, I can't take my eyes off her.

This I can agree with definitely, from the individual scenes I've seen her in.

48 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Lord no she’s not my type.  She’d scare me to death I’m sure.  But a beauty to admire from afar.

I used to think that way about Bette, but now I'd have totally asked her out, listened to her whinge about some clueless director, rant about some randy producer and shared a few ciggies.

Since it is the weekend I think I will watch some Universal Horror in the bedroom until I can't stay awake. I think I will start with Son of Frankenstein. I love it bizzare set design, its so abstract.

3 hours ago, KK said:

The camera loves her but I don't.

7 hours ago, KK said:

original-25656-1438604261-25.jpg?downsiz

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Boring, stuffy take on Forrest Gump, built on a misguided premise. It doesn't even look very good, for the most part (the shot above, being an exception). Not sure what drew Fincher to this in the first place, nor why he felt the need to dawdle on for 3 hours about it, but it leaves little to remember.

There wasn't a very good roster of films on my last flight back...

Congrats you made it through (it's anemic!). Great Desplat, though. 

After having to suffer through Di$ney's bloated mess of 'Beauty and the Beast' (CGI re-imagining), i felt the urgent need to repent, so i popped in my old Criterion of the Cocteau version:

9dda48f15446c3446b2c8c2af52eb8ab.jpeg

Fixed me.

4 minutes ago, publicist said:

Great Desplat, though. 

Probably my favorite Desplat score.

Actually, I didn't think the movie was that boring. Because I feared the worst, I was actually pleasantly surprised. 

44 minutes ago, publicist said:

After having to suffer through Di$ney's bloated mess of 'Beauty and the Beast' (CGI re-imagining)

What kind of situation do you find yourself in to "have to" experience this?

Family!

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

I saw it. I also saw PROOF, which I think is Hugo Weaving's best performance.

What else have I seen? Ah, yes! THE LAST WAVE, THE CARS THAT ATE PARIS, PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK (visual poetry), and THE CHANT OF JIMMY BLACKSMITH.

Aussie channel?

If I had my own Aussie Channel, it would consist of women in wet Speedos...and that's it.

Mostly at my my local flea-pit, some on BBC 2, (PBS, to you), some on speciality DVD company releases, and some at local "arts centre" (whatever the heck that means) cinemas.

Pitt and Cate had negative chemistry. How do you make a film about a man who ages backwards boring watch Benjamin buttons dear God I don't think it's ever ended yet.

Blanchett is another Laura Dern-esque screen presence as far as I'm concerned. Very flat, although I'd say Laura manages to squeeze out more charm with a smile than Cate does, who IMO has a very uncharismatic face.

Blanchett has a far more attractive and charming face than Dern. In fact, I think she oozes charm, just of a different variety.

They are both women, and as such, in competition with one another at all times!!

Watched two movies last weekend:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Disney) - I saw this once before - at some point in my childhood it was rereleased to US theaters.  I've forgotten about it since then, except for a few of the songs which are cultural landmarks.  Clearly a stepping stone between the animated Disney shorts of the era (a lot of the dwarf business in the cottage plays out like this) and the more thorough plotting and characterization that would come in slightly later features.  I was surprised with how good the dwarf humor and animal friend humor was.  The prince and the huntsman were both pretty much nonexistent from a character perspective, and the Queen was only mildly better.  The set-up and a small portion of the plot towards the end of the film were told with onscreen text rather than action.  Not complaints, mind you, just some things that come off as archaic now.  Overall, really good.  8/10, although probably deserves more for the ambition.

The Director and the Jedi - the full-length documentary on The Last Jedi.  A lot better than the doc on The Force Awakens (less promo fluff, more fly-on-the-wall, with more warts-and-all stuff), and holds up, for me, to the high water mark of the 2004 Star Wars DVD documentary and the LOTR appendices.  Some seriously affecting stuff, too, especially in light of Carrie Fisher's passing.  I got legitimately choked up (as did Carrie) when they were doing the filming of the Luke/Leia scene.  I'd recommend sitting down and watching this if you are at all fond of Star Wars.  Even if you hated TLJ - there's a lot of Mark Hamill soundbites to add to your YouTube videos about why it's a travesty.  4/5.

I also watched the TLJ deleted scenes, and man, I would have found this movie good as hell even at 3 hours long.  They made the right choice in significantly whittling down the fathier chase, though.  A nice use of restraint and editing making a much better sequence (as opposed to Lucas's final revisions of the TPM podrace which added minutes, or Peter Jackson's gag after gag after gag in the BOFA extended edition).  Highly recommended, 16/20.

What Maisie Knew.

Quite good. Julianne Moore was obviously perfect, though Joanna Vanderham was equally great. Well, everyone was, really. I only wish it would have lasted longer to see how things unfolded in court as I like to have closure.

The score wasn't memorable, but perfectly functional and the end credits song was especially nice.

A Clockwork Orange

Still like it. A dystopian world of tasteful tastelessness and rampant violence where you can replace your faulty son with a tenant and your wife with a Vader. Just like on the first watch, it successfully Ludovico'd me against Funeral of Queen Mary with the humiliation and drowning scenes.

Pan's Labyrinth

Don't know what the consensus on it is here, so this is what I think on first watch: It's exactly like Shape of Water. Gorgeous visuals, some neat ideas, completely gratuitous gore, way too simple 2-dimensional fairy-tale-like characters and story, to the point where I couldn't care about any of them.

44 minutes ago, Holko said:

Pan's Labyrinth

Don't know what the consensus on it is here, so this is what I think on first watch: It's exactly like Shape of Water. Gorgeous visuals, some neat ideas, completely gratuitous gore, way too simple 2-dimensional fairy-tale-like characters and story, to the point where I couldn't care about any of them.

I always considered that to be part of the point...in a sense, you could almost liken it to Empire of the Sun in how it portrays gruesome events through the kaleidoscope of a child's imagination. Guillermo del Toro is not a great writer, but his style is really well-served, here.

9 hours ago, KK said:

Dern has a far more attractive and charming face than Blanchett. In fact, I think she oozes charm.

This is how I feel