What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

58 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Actually, Alex rarely "gets" Kubrick whenever he first views his work

Its true of all movies, though: if one wants to truly appreciate or analyse a film, one ought to see it twice.

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

There isnt that much to "get" about Kubrick's films, imo. You just have to make up your own mind about them.

Not really. His films aren't abstract works. They have clear meaning.

22 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Its true of all movies, though: if one wants to truly appreciate or analyse a film, one ought to see it twice.

Hmm, I don't agree at all. I'd say there are many more movies in existence whose initial virtues depreciate over subsequent viewings than there are movies which become progressively better and more greatly appreciated the more we see and consider them.

I can count on my hundred hands the times I've loved a movie at the cinema only to never want to see it again, forget about it and eventually slate it months or years later.

Seeing this calibre of movie again in order to 'truly appreciate' it would not have been favourable, I'm telling you that.

I'm the inverse of that.

26 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Hmm, I don't agree at all. I'd say there are many more movies in existence whose initial virtues depreciate over subsequent viewings than there are movies which become progressively better and more greatly appreciated the more we see and consider them.

I didn't say the appreciation had to be a positive one. What I'm saying is to truly make one's mind on a film, at least two viewings are required.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Stop watching it then!

I've only watched it a few times.

I don't imagine I'll revisit it outisde of the prospect of watching the series sequentially.

There's just something unenthusing about it.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Did you view it from behind the telly?

Haha, I was expecting this. No, what I meant with ' viewing from a different angle' or 'watching from a different point of view' is that I only seem to appreciate Kubrick when I stop watching his movies for their story. At first, Steven Spielberg thought 2001: ASO was a cold, emotionless movie, but years later, he watched it again and shifted his attention from the 'what' to the 'how', and what he saw then was an incredible passion and love for film making. Spielberg completely changed his mind. It was no longer that cold and emotionless movie. The first time I watched Eyes Wide Shut, I was focusing on the story, the events, the mystery, what happens next, the acting .. and I fell asleep. Then, years later, I gave it another spin, and instead of paying attention to the story, I decided to focus on the storyteller. It turned into one of the my best film viewing experiences of the last 15 years. Same for The Duellists (Ridley Scott's debut film) and several other favorite movies of mine. 

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

And hearing loss.

Considering all the explosions the characters are routinely exposed to in these movies, it's a wonder none of them complain of ringing or soreness in their ears, or hearing loss.

8 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Haha, I was expecting this. No, what I meant with ' viewing from a different angle' or 'watching from a different point of view' is that I only seem to appreciate Kubrick when I stop watching his movies for their story. At first, Steven Spielberg thought 2001: ASO was a cold, emotionless movie, but years later, he watched it again and shifted his attention from the 'what' to the 'how', and what he saw then was an incredible passion and love for film making. Spielberg completely changed his mind. It was no longer that cold and emotionless movie. The first time I watched Eyes Wide Shut, I was focusing on the story, the events, the mystery, what happens next, the acting .. and I fell asleep. Then, years later, I gave it another spin, and instead of paying attention to the story, I decided to focus on the storyteller. It turned into one of the my best film viewing experiences of the last 15 years. Same for The Duellists (Ridley Scott's debut film) and several other favorite movies of mine. 

Perhaps I'll have to give The Duellists another chance then.

2 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Considering all the explosions the characters are routinely exposed to in these movies, it's a wonder none of them complain of ringing or soreness in their ears, or hearing loss.

That will be in Ep. IX:

Star Wars: Explosions can Lead to Tinnitus

I'm absolutely certain Jurassic Shark never literally meant from behind the TV. 

Quintus - reminded again of the language barrier. Seemingly an issue which only ever arises in European divides.

48 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I was focusing on the story, the events, the mystery, what happens next, the acting

Even on that level I think Eyes Wide Shut is a great film.

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

But all those other aspects are essential for a great film. Otherwise you end with style over substance, like Zack Sny-oh wait. 

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

But all those other aspects are essential for a great film. Otherwise you end with style over substance ...

That's such an empty phrase. Fortunately, in some movies, the style is the substance. Where would Van Gogh be without his voice, without his Expressionism? Remove the style or the vision and you'll end up with just sunflowers.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

776.jpg

This is literally what I meant by my post though, when it seemed that Alex took Jurassic's "behind the TV" remark semi seriously, seeing as he went onto explain what he actually meant after it, even though everyone here obviously already knew what he meant, no? Never mind.

You definitely interpreted Alex's post wrong.  Alex knew Jurassic Shark was joking too.

On 8/29/2018 at 1:27 AM, Alexcremers said:

The third time I watched it, I decided to view it from a different angle, and suddenly it was one of the best Kubricks I've ever saw. 

On 8/29/2018 at 2:32 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Did you view it from behind the telly?

22 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Haha, I was expecting this. No, what I meant with ' viewing from a different angle' or 'watching from a different point of view' is that I only seem to appreciate Kubrick when I stop watching his movies for their story.

But Mr Literal Thinker 2000 has no business telling someone else whether or not they interpreted another wrongly or rightly. Your capacity to misinterpreted others and then overexplain, over elaborate and bore everyone else to tears with it is legendary.

I dunno, I feel like it's Jason and maybe one or two others here who needed me to add the smilie at end of my original post tbh. Because dry sarcasm never translates well in text form, which is why I've always been drawn to its usage actually. I've always hated smilies though. End of the day, I'll just do whatever it takes to NEVER be awarded one of Jay's gold stars.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

You definitely interpreted Alex's post wrong.  Alex knew Jurassic Shark was joking too.

Thank you. Can't believe Quint thought I took literally. I mean, there's hardly any room behind my TV.

Skipped Full Metal Jacket for now in my Kubrick marathon, after 15 minutes I decided I'm not in the mood. That does not mean it will not be watched one day. May do a 180 and go back to Paths of Glory.

Eyes Wide Shut

Who knew "Fuck." as a closing word could raise a movie from good to phenomenal? Don't have more on it right now, love it.

Eh, I have a bowling green literally right behind my TV.

Anyway, it's times like this I wish I had Jay's admin tools, so I could casually abuse them just to save face - like he got caught doing that time (Quintus never forgets). Now there's a mod who really can't cope with being seen to be wrong. Erases entire posts if deemed "necessary" 😱

Quintus - maintaining that Alex took Jurassic Shark seriously/semi literally. For one, he's Belgian. Two:

On 8/29/2018 at 9:31 PM, Alexcremers said:

That's the biggest reply the guy has made to anyone in years on JWFAN. 'Nuff said. Btw, the quotation marks are the first giveaway. (Psst, you've got to have been around here for a long time to really know this).

Anyone else?

7 minutes ago, Holko said:

Eyes Wide Shut

Who knew "Fuck." as a closing word could raise a movie from good to phenomenal? Don't have more on it right now, love it.

Yes!

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

From now on, I'll add a smiley at the end of all my jokes.

;)

4 hours ago, Jay said:

No need Jurassic Shark, everyone who read your post knew you were joking.  No worries.

Don't worry, JS was clearly joking, as indicated by the smiley.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Eh, I have a bowling green literally right behind my TV.

Anyway, it's times like this I wish I had Jay's admin tools, so I could casually abuse them just to save face - like he got caught doing that time (Quintus never forgets). Now there's a mod who really can't cope with being seen to be wrong. Erases entire posts if deemed "necessary" 😱

Quintus - maintaining that Alex took Jurassic Shark seriously/semi literally. For one, he's Belgian. Two:

That's the biggest reply the guy has made to anyone in years on JWFAN. 'Nuff said. Btw, the quotation marks are the first giveaway. (Psst, you've got to have been around here for a long time to really know this).

Anyone else?

I understood what you meant and took it the same way when I read Alex's reply, as well.

6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I understood what you meant and took it the same way when I read Alex's reply, as well.

Sorry, but then you're an idiot as well.

Well, let me rephrase that, only an idiot would think that I took  "Did you watch it from behind the tele?" literally.

The reason why my reply was longer than usual is because of the posts that followed and that suggested that I don't understand Kubrick's movies and must therefore watch them more than once. I wanted to make clear that my 'multiple viewing and changing my opinion on them' has nothing to do with 'getting' what the 2001: ASO or Eyes Wide Shut are about. I might even change my opinion and still don't know what they are mean. I love that (some) movies are prone to interpretation. In fact, I don't need answers. Whether we're talking movies or music, giving meaning and making things clear-cut are never a priority for me. I will always prefer 'ambiguity'.