What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Screenshot_2018-11-10-07-32-41.png

Psycho IV: The Beginning

This movie was filmed across from the E.T. ride at Universal Studios Florida and you can just sort of feel its presence offscreen as a legend is born with a strapping Henry Thomas as young Norman in exquisite denim murdering whores. This is a weird one.

The worst thing I can say about it is it feels a bit incomplete. It cuts between old Norman absurdly out of place in a (then) modern home preparing an elaborate dinner, the radio station talk show host and flashbacks to young manhood with Olivia Hussey constantly freaking out.

There's a satisfaction to Mother's death. It really does feel she's earned it for being such a monstrous broadzilla. But the real climax of the movie turns out to be circa 1990 Norman chasing his wife around the old house and reconciling. Did anyone really care about that? The movie suddenly ends at the 90 minute mark and feels like it's missing something.

Several good kills including one whore that just won't seem to die, the most disturbing in the series. Henry Thomas is perfect. Mother lacks the depth of the TV show version, but the role didn't really call for that. Now...show's over.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

I don't do nuthin', fer nobody, fer nuthin'.

Yes, that bit is touching.

I also liked the shot of her in a wetsuit (even if it's inaccurate).

You've seen it too!? Okay, so here who has _not_ seen these Paddington movies? 

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Maybe Drax watched it with his cousins.

I watched both, all in my lonesome.

4 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

I raise my hand at this point. 

You should watch them, Steve; they're both good.

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Kids movies!

Yeah? And?

3 minutes ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Adults are only allowed to watch depressing kitchen sink dramas.

The standard kid's view on any movie that is not for kids.

Ignore Alex and his misery guts one-man army crusade against kids movies and grown ups who enjoy the really good ones.

Incidentally, has anyone seen Bridge to Terabithia? I watched it recently with my two, it's such a wonderfully Spielbergian kids movie, with the quality almost to match his greatest successes in the genre.

9 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

What the heck? Are these Paddington movies the low-key JWFan movie events of the year? Just how many of you have seen these movies?

You must join the cult of Paddington!

Both movies are exquisite, but the second is best.  They radiate joy without ever being cloying.

Just now, Norma's Corpse said:

Apparently if it was made in the 1980s, it's edgy and semi-grown-up.

No, you're thinking of movies made now that are inspired by the '80s: these modern ones add all the spice that those pleasant but totally like sometimes too corny and not cool movies like ET lacked!

I'm a 21 year old film student who subscribes to a lot of film analysis channels on YouTube; trust me, I know these things. :)

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

No, you're thinking of movies made now that are inspired by the '80s: these modern ones add all the spice that those pleasant but totally like sometimes too corny and not cool movies like ET lacked!

I'm a 21 year old film student who subscribes to a lot of film analysis channels on YouTube; trust me, I know these things. :)

Funny you mention that. I remember when I saw Super 8, one of the people I was with raved that it was like "ET with attitude".

12 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

There's a difference between kid's movies and family movies!

There is, but to Alexcremers they are one and the same. This is a well worn discussion here, as is everything else by now.

29 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Incidentally, has anyone seen Bridge to Terabithia? I watched it recently with my two, it's such a wonderfully Spielbergian kids movie, with the quality almost to match his greatest successes in the genre.

I quite liked it! Especially the spoilery final act.

It's true though I'm afraid, Nick Parker. JWFan talking points are like Netflix's selection carousals. To new members the choice seems large and comprehensive, but be a member here long enough and every topic and debate soon comes around again, and again, again. 

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It's true though I'm afraid, Nick Parker. JWFan talking points are like Netflix's selection carousals. To new members the choice seems large and comprehensive, but be a member here long enough and every topic and debate soon comes around again, and again, again. 

The Last Jedi ruined Loke Groundrunner!

We discussed that a couple weeks ago! I watched the Hobbit movies last week, wanna talk about those?

Or we can get deep and discuss if 2001 is really as ambiguous as it seems!

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You wanna talk about Blade Runner?

8 minutes ago, Holko said:

I quite liked it! Especially the spoilery final act.

I thought the main theme of the story (grief after a death) was very deftly handled for what truly is a children's film. I felt it was even as effective as Whistle Down the Wind, an old B&W British kids film which also deals with children's emotions in a way which doesn't speak down to those little ones watching.