What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

17 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Brazil

"My complication has a little complication."ROTFLMAO

I always found her character’s story genuinely upsetting and horrific.  Not funny at all!  I do enjoy the dark humor in the movie generally though.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I always found her character’s story genuinely upsetting and horrific.  Not funny at all!  I do enjoy the dark humor in the movie generally though.

I had to guffaw several times, as a reaction to the lack of knowing whether to cry, laugh or rip out my own hair.

I loved Gilliam when I was younger but I don’t feel like making room in my life for that kind of cynicism and negativity anymore.  It is a masterpiece though.

Somehow the Coens’ brand of cynicism doesn’t bother me at all however.  I dunno why.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I loved Gilliam when I was younger but I don’t feel like making room in my life for that kind of cynicism and negativity anymore.  It is a masterpiece though.

I think, 12 Monkeys and Brazil are a bit too reliant on effects and strangeness. Therefore I prefer his movies that seem to have a more stable basis of meat, like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and the incredibly unknown masterpiece The Fisher King. (Why have I never heard of this movie before?!)

23 minutes ago, Richard said:

THE FISHER KING is great, but there's a central core of deep, deep sadness, that I find heart-wrenching.

It affected me like maybe a handful of movies at most - I sat on the edge of my seat for the whole running time and the emotional impact it had on me was huge.

Bambi

The older I get the more I see this as truly an extraordinary work of art.  The pinnacle achievement of Disney to this day and a highlight of human culture maybe?

Plus my daughter thinks Thumper is the bee’s knees.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Image result for indiana jones and the last crusade

Another Indiana Jones romp, this time back on the hunt with Nazis at his heels, but with his father as a sidekick. When it comes to Indy, I always viewed the films as being Raiders>Last Crusade>Temple of Doom>Crystal Skull. Why? Raiders is the original, and while that counts for a lot, it's as good as it gets when introducing a character who is now as iconic as Indiana Jones. When it comes to Temple of Doom, I feel that the plot is less trivial and more odd than it ought to be. The scenario is pure happenstance, and overall it's not the most fun of the four to watch. When it comes to Last Crusade, the on-screen relationship between Harrison Ford and Sean Connery seems to click very well. The film pertains more with the style and setup of the series ultimatum, Raiders, in that a major artifact is being sought out, Nazis getting involved, Washington scenes and the involvement of Salah and Brody, so on so forth.  The score is also magnificent- the main Crusade theme is so noble and precious, perfectly attributed to the Divine power of the lucrative Holy Grail. The lovely fun theme for the Scherzo for Motorcycle is probably my favourite, relating directly to the often humorous back-and-forths between Indy and his father and their differing methods. Overall it's a lot of Indiana Jones fun. I enjoy it still today.

Nerve.

Well, that was weird. Very interesting premise and first half (Dave Franco and Emily Meade were just perfect), but then things escalated quickly, too quickly, and I just don't buy any of it: mothers who never get angry or suspicious when their bank accounts are emptied, authorities who turn a blind eye to criminal activities, crowds who actively encourage murder, etc. Sorry, it's just not good enough. The ending is extremely shallow and unconvincing.

Some of the songs are nice, but the score is mostly unremarkable.

2 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Image result for indiana jones and the last crusade

Another Indiana Jones romp, this time back on the hunt with Nazis at his heels, but with his father as a sidekick. When it comes to Indy, I always viewed the films as being Raiders>Last Crusade>Temple of Doom>Crystal Skull. Why? Raiders is the original, and while that counts for a lot, it's as good as it gets when introducing a character how is now as iconic as Indiana Jones. When it comes to Temple of Doom, I feel that the plot is less trivial and more odd than it ought to be. The scenario is pure happenstance, and overall it's not the most fun of the four to watch. When it comes to Last Crusade, the on-screen relationship between Harrison Ford and Sean Connery seems to click very well. The film pertains more with the style and setup of the series ultimatum, Raiders, in that a major artifact is being sought out, Nazis getting involved, Washington scenes and the involvement of Salah and Brody, so on so forth.  The score is also magnificent- the main Crusade theme is so noble and precious, perfectly attributed to the Divine power of the lucrative Holy Grail. The lovely fun theme for the Scherzo for Motorcycle is probably my favourite, relating directly to the often humorous back-and-forths between Indy and his father and their differing methods. Overall it's a lot of Indiana Jones fun. I enjoy it still today.

Fabulous buddy movie, one of the best, up there with Midnight Run.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Bambi

The older I get the more I see this as truly an extraordinary work of art.  The pinnacle achievement of Disney to this day and a highlight of human culture maybe?

Plus my daughter thinks Thumper is the bee’s knees.

The story stays true, even today. Such a classic.

Isn't it nice to go back and re-watch childhood favourites? I did that at the beginning of the year, as you might have noticed. Such fun.

Wild Things - at times, this plays like a parody of straight-to-video erotic thrillers with a far better cast than those movies usually attracted. Good fun, with Denise Richards wearing not very much at all in most of her scenes and a welter of double-crosses at the end.

We watched the Wizard of Oz on Thanksgiving Day. I have a desire to force Janusz Kaminski to watch just to see his head explode from the beautiful colors. 

latest?cb=20161010172429

None other than the recently deceased William Goldman wrote the script based on his own novel for a classroom case of a perfect thriller with no pretensions in John Schlesinger's ruthlessly effective movie version. The film's five main characters - Hoffman, Olivier, Scheider, Devane, and Keller - are an explosive mix of very different characters in constant tension. Schlesinger's film thrives on the surprising twists and turns of a story in which Babe, an intelligent, self-willed young man who is totally focused on marathon running and on the history of his family, suddenly becomes entangled in a brutal conspiracy. Hoffman's Babe is not the typical average student of those years, but rather an introverted young man who primarily studies history in order to shed light on his own past and overcome the pain of his father's death. Conrad L. Hall's striking images, which convey the gloomy 1970s New York, culminate in scenes such as the 'Is it safe' dentist sequence, another in a secluded house far, an escape over the city's highways in the dark, a duel in a laboriously recreated wastewater facility etc. 

Laurence Olivier, who received an Oscar nomination for his role as Szell, plays the unscrupulous, psychopathic Nazi once called The White Angel in Auschwitz by his fearful jewish victims for his characteristic hair color. Olivier plays convincingly, terrifyingly, but at the same time lets through the morbidity of a man at crucial moments (when it comes to winning or losing the diamonds), who will bulldoze everyone in his way despite his age and frailty. Hoffman is the exact opposite and is is able to muster dynamo energy to save himself (the marathon training probably helped). Roy Scheider is just as effectively underplaying here as he was five years earlier in William Friedkin's classic 'French Connection' to Gene Hackman. Scheider's Doc would do anything for his little brother, but at the same time he is involved in dark machinations and in a certain way as ruthless as his colleague.

When Szell is revealed in New York's jewish quarters, it's one of the most satisfying villain comeuppance's ever put on film.

38 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I love Janusz restrained tones!

He is such a fucking pussy when it comes to colors. He is afraid of bright real colors. When I perfect time travel I will go back and ensure his family line is eliminated.

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

anti-Semite!

Hardly. I am borrowing a plot line from Terminator 

11 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Wild Things - at times, this plays like a parody of straight-to-video erotic thrillers with a far better cast than those movies usually attracted. Good fun, with Denise Richards wearing not very much at all in most of her scenes and a welter of double-crosses at the end.

It's a shame Neve Campbell kept her clothes on in that one, she's hotter than Denise.

--

Prom Night

Jamie Lee Curtis must have been hard up for money when she did this because this is shockingly boring. Hardly any T&A, the plot is hard to follow, and the deaths aren't that creative. The only non-Halloween horror films in her resume worth a damn are Terror Train

15 hours ago, Matt C said:

It's a shame Neve Campbell kept her clothes on in that one, she's hotter than Denise.

Yeah, she's very pretty all right. I think she may have disrobed in a movie eventually, but it was long after her Nineties-to-Noughties heyday.  

angels-in-america.jpg

It's long but very stirring...and funny. A milestone in the history of television art: we not only look at people in very tangible states of life and suffering, we also see the inner state of a nation...and though Nichols direction may let develop a little too much sadness and a bit too little anger it's a wonderful film.

15 minutes ago, publicist said:

angels-in-america.jpg

It's long but very stirring...and funny. A milestone in the history of television art: we not only look at people in very tangible states of life and suffering, we also see the inner state of a nation...and though Nichols direction may let develop a little too much sadness and a bit too little anger it's a wonderful film.

I thought Channel 4 here aired that as a mini series over a few weeks, but I may be wrong, what with you calling it a film. I never really fancied it at the time, but maybe I should take a look. It's not cheesy though is it?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The only year to give 1999 a run for its money since!

Don't forget 1994!

Pulp Fiction
Forrest Gump
The Shawshank Redemption

Léon the Professional

The Lion King

Hoop Dreams

Angels in America, the miniseries, is a masterpiece!  Certainly the greatest thing Mike Nichols ever directed.  And one of Thomas Newman's best scores to boot.

It was the last time I was blown away by a Pacino performance, and the first time I was blown away by a Jeffrey Wright performance :) 

13 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

1995 had Braveheart, Se7en, Toy Story, The Usual Suspects, Before Sunrise and GoldenEye.

The hell with most of those, it had Apollo 13, Casper, Batman Forever and Jumanji.