What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

26 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

If I am marginalising it, it's because 'fighting the oppression to preserve their freedom and identity (or Nationalism) is what I felt was the movie's core. You could say Star Wars (1977) is a revenge movie too (because the evil oppressor murdered Luke's foster parents), but it isn't. Murder or rape are just convenient symbols for what evil oppression stands for.

But is it, really? There is much talk about freedom, for sure. I see it as a revenge flick in disguise and the rape/murder is not just *one* convenient symbol but central in tone and execution (pun intended) the poster child of simplified convenient symbols. It's already clear in BH what Mel's personal demons are (it's all in place, the martyrdom, the gore, the Christ allusions). It's actually a miracle that the film still comes out as solid as it is.

40 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Otherwise you get a movie about boring politics (ahem The Prequels ahem). ;)

Is that so? Are you talking down to him because you know he probably hasn't seen more literate representatives of the genre 'historical film' or can't you literally come up with historical movies better than BH & Co. that are not boring?

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Is Lincoln a boring political film like the Prequels, Alex?

It is surprisingly engaging. Even though I knew my history I was drawn into the drama of would it pass. Its spontaneous in its humor as well.

16 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I'd say its the best of the genre.

And because its themes are so simple, they can engage the audience not on an intellectual level, but on a visceral one.

Can you think of any prominent, highly regarded films in the genre (What is that, by the way? Historical films? Historical epics?) which fail in this respect? I.e., which are not thematically simple enough and consequently engage you only on an intellectual level, and not on a visceral one?

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

It is surprisingly engaging. Even though I knew my history I was drawn into the drama of would it pass. Its spontaneous in its humor as well.

I'm waiting for the film to air on Netflix. 

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I need to see it. I'm sure it will be worthwhile. Spielberg has been on a roll lately with his historical films.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Does Universal still have the BTTF ride?

Its now the Simpsons ride. It is fun but not as fun!

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Holy crap, I completely agree with you. 

Why so surprised. My film knowledge and love of films is as good as anyone here. And I have seen way more movies than most but  then again I'm old and I am  not afraid of black and white movies.

12 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Why so surprised. My film knowledge and love of films is as good as anyone here. And I have seen way more movies than most but  then again I'm old and I am  not afraid of black and white movies.

Equality of the knowledge of films among the forum users is highly naiv and ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Equality of the knowledge of films among the forum users is highly naiv and ridiculous.

Whats ridiculous is the reluctance or out right refusal of posters to watch old movies.

Yes but its a rare event. They watch the event and tent pole films but how many seek out and watch the vast catalog?

There are so many gems out there that deserve to be watched. 

I usually neglect to post about the films I've watched but, to boost the thread's black-and-white quotient, here are some very good films I've seen in the past couple of months:

• The Phantom Carriage (Victor Sjöström, 1921)
  • I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (Mervyn LeRoy, 1932)
  • La Nuit du carrefour (Jean Renoir, 1932)
  • Make Way for Tomorrow (Leo McCarey, 1937)
  • Stage Door (Gregory La Cava, 1937)
  • Monsieur Verdoux (Charlie Chaplin, 1947)
  • Germany, Year Zero (Roberto Rossellini, 1948)
  • The Furies (Anthony Mann, 1950)
  • Diary of a Country Priest (Robert Bresson, 1951)
  • The Cranes Are Flying (Mikhail Kalatozov, 1957)
  • The Nights of Cabiria (Federico Fellini, 1957)
  • Odds against Tomorrow (Robert Wise, 1959)
  • Shoot the Piano Player (Francois Truffaut, 1960)
  • The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (John Ford, 1962)
  • Ivan's Childhood (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1962)
  • Woman in the Dunes (Hiroshi Teshigahara, 1964)
  • Marketa Lazarová (František Vláčil, 1967)
  • Le Maman et la putain (Jean Eustache, 1973)

1 hour ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

1941 is awfully fun.

Why yes it is and the score is truly great.

whats-up-doc-movie-poster.jpg

Even Ryan O'Neal is great n this thing, Streisand plays Bugs Bunny, then there's this great farcical performance by Kenneth Mars, the greatMadeline Kahn, all in grand farcical style, and Cole Porter to boot...too bad it took Bogdanovich 20 years to come up with something even remotely in this league.

Ryan O'Neal was always pretty watchable to me. I remember those 70s and early 80s pictures he'd show up in, I used to enjoy them. What happened to him? What's that one where Drew Barrymore gets a divorce from her own parents? I liked that movie when I'd be channel hopping in bed as a teen.

45 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Ryan O'Neal was always pretty watchable to me. I remember those 70s and early 80s pictures he'd show up in, I used to enjoy them. What happened to him? What's that one where Drew Barrymore gets a divorce from her own parents? I liked that movie when I'd be channel hopping in bed as a teen.

Last I saw of him was his recurring role on Bones.

7 minutes ago, publicist said:

Irreconcilable Differences

That's the one. Although I'm assuming another reason I liked it back then was because it had old thin lips in it.

okAeI3t.jpg

Not that Shelley Long wasn't at her maxium cutsey peak back then.

The Children Act (2017 UK, 2018 US)

Emma Thompson is great, as always.  But what an awful script.  I've never cared for Ian McEwan, he seems to labor under the assumption that ambiguity always equals thoughtfulness.

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

What was your issue with the writing, specifically.

It seemed like it wanted the audience to confront questions about free will, religion, society, and responsibility, but couldn't really decide how it wanted to explore those themes.  It flirted with asking tough questions, but settled for "the sad lady judge got sad."  There was no interesting drama!

CE3K.

I don't know... Alien movies just aren't my thing and maybe the fact that I sort of knew how it was going to end didn't help either, but the movie just didn't work for me most of the time. I did like how the humans all over the world fell under the spell of the vision and music, but the characters just weren't engaging. There was something particularly jarring about Richard Dreyfuss (who isn't a very realistic cry baby either). Teri Garr and Melinda Dillon sound awfully alike and for some reason I only found Jillian the easiest to relate to and the most likeable character. I don't understand the aliens either. Why did they need Roy? They supposedly just spent 30 years investigating their captives of World War II, and Barry's kidnapping makes even less sense to me.

I picked this movie because I wanted to watch and listen to another Spielberg-Williams collaboration. I didn't like too much of the score, but the wondrous music certainly appealed to me and as the end credits started rolling, I found myself happily singing the five notes, so at least I have another score examination to look forward to, but I will not recommend this movie to anyone.

I agree with a lot of what you say... it's hardly a bad film and there are moments of marvelous filmmaking throughout, but the characters and story just don't click with me the way most Spielberg movies do.

2 hours ago, John said:

I agree with a lot of what you say... it's hardly a bad film and there are moments of marvelous filmmaking throughout, but the characters and story just don't click with me the way most Spielberg movies do.

Exactly what I thought. Well put.

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

CE3K.

I don't know... Alien movies just aren't my thing and maybe the fact that I sort of knew how it was going to end didn't help either, but the movie just didn't work for me most of the time. I did like how the humans all over the world fell under the spell of the vision and music, but the characters just weren't engaging. There was something particularly jarring about Richard Dreyfuss (who isn't a very realistic cry baby either). Teri Garr and Melinda Dillon sound awfully alike and for some reason I only found Jillian the easiest to relate to and the most likeable character. I don't understand the aliens either. Why did they need Roy? They supposedly just spent 30 years investigating their captives of World War II, and Barry's kidnapping makes even less sense to me.

I picked this movie because I wanted to watch and listen to another Spielberg-Williams collaboration. I didn't like too much of the score, but the wondrous music certainly appealed to me and as the end credits started rolling, I found myself happily singing the five notes, so at least I have another score examination to look forward to, but I will not recommend this movie to anyone.

Pure insanity. This is a masterpiece. Nothing else needs to be said

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The characters of CE3K have clicked with me more as I’ve grown and matured.

You're now at the age where you want to fill the house with dirt and abandon your family for aliens?

10 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Why did they need Roy? They supposedly just spent 30 years investigating their captives of World War II, and Barry's kidnapping makes even less sense to me.

Good question, bolle. I'm not sure if there's an official answer, but I always assumed that Roy felt a 'calling', one that was actually not induced by the aliens. He and others merely responded to the aliens' invitation. However, if the calling was a setup, and Roy was more or less hypnotized (and thus not acting out of free will), then we should consider that the aliens were villains. 

But is very possible that the movie doesn't always make sense. I think Spielberg mainly wanted to make a movie about man's position with regard to alien visitation.

Germany is a rather secular country, CEOTK never really took off here (the movie seems to appeal to religious people more). That said, there are individual scenes sprinkled through it - tracking shots, visual signals, lightning, of course images/music in tandem - that belong in filmmaking classes and i would recommend the movie on that basis as essential viewing.