Expanded release of James Horner's Titanic (4CD) coming this April by Sony Classical

Jay

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again the ost was very satisfactory. Sure we had an awesome cue jettisoned completely, but the original album presentation was extremely well done nonetheless.

I can't listen to it anymore, but in its day the Titanic ost was pretty much perfect.

Somehow, I question the 9 CD claim.

I do as well. The only score to have close to that has been Dinotopia. All though that was 6-CD's but still. We know AVATAR had "5" but after deleting a lot of repeated material it's really only 3 CDs.

I really doubt that Titanic would have 9 discs...

Has Williams ever recorded any score that with the film score, alternates, and un-used cues, that would fill up 4CD's?

Good point. 3 CDs then.

Hook could fit on 4 CDs!

And I believe Philosopher's Stone would too, if you include all the alternate takes, unused snippets, etc. etc.

3 1/2 CDs anyway.

It's maths, Dutchman. If I take z the number of cues, y the average length of a cue, t the silence at the end of each cue, and m the number of discs, you have the following equation:

m = y*z + t/d - 2f/18q*jfr - p

That's quite easy.

:lol: Exactly.

How do you figure that Josh?

Okay, 4 CDs is probably an exaggeration. After all, the movie itself is only 2 1/2 hours long (approx.).

But 3 CDs for sure.

Somehow, I question the 9 CD claim.

I do as well. The only score to have close to that has been Dinotopia. All though that was 6-CD's but still. We know AVATAR had "5" but after deleting a lot of repeated material it's really only 3 CDs.

I really doubt that Titanic would have 9 discs...

Fellas, did you read tharp's original statement?

recording sessions to "Titanic, including alternates and un-used score, goes to 9CD's

9 CDs ≤ 720 minutes. That's only 12 hours. Nothing tells us the proportion of good quality final draft caliber music to outtakes, screw-ups, do-overs, and the holy grail of these types of sets, alternates and synth mock-ups. It all depends on how long somebody held their finger on the record button while the musicians were playing.

Found a nice tidbit:

Fake Choir was used as because of a budget issue! Can you believe that?!

I'm not sure if I really do believe that! I thought it was more to mimic the Enya/Book of Days sound.

Enya was originally asked to score the film, she turned it down for what ever reason.

Somebody, I forget whom, was taken with her work for "Book of Stars" (a song/sintrumental CD), that happens to have a track that sounds uncannily like Horner's choir and theme for "Titanic".

In fact, compounding all that, I read an interview with a composer where he said both and and Horner in fact had that CD. I can't recall the composer now.

The money was there. This was a creative, lifting decision. Unfortunately Benjamin Britten never got around to synth choirs.

I'm not sure if I really do believe that! I thought it was more to mimic the Enya/Book of Days sound.

Wow, I never recognized the connection between "Book of Days" and "Southhampton." Seems painfully obvious now.

For all those who wanted a real choir, check out Titanic: The Ultimate Collection, which rerecords a few Titanic cues with real choir. I prefer the synth choir. When you've got real choir on top of other pop influences (the percussion and electric bass(?)) it sounds really odd. Plus the synths they use do really sound like the ocean...not exactly sure why, maybe it's just through association.

The CD I mentioned is still worth it for some really cool arrangements of Rose's Theme.

Big fan of Horner, not a big fan of Titanic at all. Some of the very "keyboard synth" sounds deterred my enjoyment of the score. It sure has its moments, but I've felt this score is pretty overrated.

Sorry, its the truth. You can believe what you want - I speak to people daily who work on these movies.

ON second thought - is this thing on blue ray? Great production value on the movie itself.

Sorry, its the truth. You can believe what you want - I speak to people daily who work on these movies.

Yes of course we can believe "random internet guy" without any source or way of verifying it.

random internet guy who posted videos of the insides of studios you mean....

• 2 weeks later...

Felt obligated to post. Have been tracking/petitioning everyone I can think of (Intrada/La-La Land, and recently Sony themselves) for the recording sessions to Titanic. At last check, Intrada/La-La Land are interested, but Sony refuses to license the right out to the music. Sony themselves haven't responded.

I swear, if they could lock me in a room and I could listen to them once, I'd be happy person. If Lord of the Rings could get recording sessions released for all three of their movies, why not Titanic, and not some ridiculously cheesy 4-cd release that's just a rehash of the original CDs with source material that no one cares about. Some of the cue listings on ASCAP are interesting..."Two and a Half Miles Down", "Rowing Away", "Trapped on D-Deck", "Butterfly Comb" ... and yes, even "Lovemaking" - Parts I and II, lol. This score seriously cemented my love for film music, it's my mission to listen to it.

Anybody who wants to join forces, I'm all for it.

EDIT: If anyone who owns this supposed 9 CD set is reading this ... get in touch.

ON second thought - is this thing on blue ray? Great production value on the movie itself.

Paramount has not released Titanic on Blu-ray yet (nor has Fox released one overseas). That will change in the fall, give it 4-5 months after the 3D re-release.

• 2 weeks later...

Having seen more information about this "new" release I hope Sony haven't invested too much money into this because this will sink faster than the ship itself as far as the serious music collector is concerned.

Sony have really fumbled the ball, BIG TIME.

Having seen more information about this "new" release I hope Sony haven't invested too much money into this because this will sink faster than the ship itself as far as the serious music collector is concerned.

Sony have really fumbled the ball, BIG TIME.

Since when does or should Sony care about the serious music collector? There's like what, 5,000 of us worldwide? We can't even sell out something simple like ID4.

No, this Titanic re-release will appeal to the Twilight generation who shops at Walmart and weren't born in 1997. They will sell millions.

Paramount has not released Titanic on Blu-ray yet (nor has Fox released one overseas). That will change in the fall, give it 4-5 months after the 3D re-release.

that's because of Cameron. it will be an awesome release on blu.