Expanded release of James Horner's Titanic (4CD) coming this April by Sony Classical

Jay

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Titanic and Back to Titanic are more than enough of the movie's music for me. Too much, actually, when you try to put all tracks into a combined album, including the long suite on BTT with Hymn to the Ocean on the original album.

I agree that the albums together are too much. I think the listening experience would be better overall with the missing bits and pieces and film versions, but not the Back to Titanic material.

It's a guilty pleasure score, but it can be pretty offensive between the (at times) cheesy sound, synth, trademark Horner similarities, that ******* clanging sound in action cues, etc. There is some pretty neat stuff missing like the introductory cues. The main titles and dive scene are begging to be on this.

Titanic: The Epic Fail Edition

Yeah, they like totally botched it, like, man. Like whoah like epically man.

Oh well, not a great loss to me since I am not a huge fan of the score. But damn Sony is an awful and clueless label.

Not only will I NOT purchase this, but I'll also make sure to recommend to everyone I know NOT to purchase it as well. I know quite a few non-score fans who like this one and I'll do my best to make sure they don't buy it.

What a ridiculous joke.

Yeah, I'm drunk right now, but Jesus Christ. What is that 4th disc? A Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight on the soundtrack for a movie that has most people freezing to death in the end? WHAT is this shit?

Yeah, I'm drunk right now, but Jesus Christ. What is that 4th disc? A Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight on the soundtrack for a movie that has most people freezing to death in the end? WHAT is this shit?

It's exactly that...shit.

Each track title that starts with "A" seem to get more and more cheesy. A Promise Kept, A Life So Changed, An Ocean of Memories, A Shore Never Reached...those last two are freakin' puns!

indy4 - who'd hate to see the reaction of this board if we got wind of a 4 CD RotS release, only to discover a similar track list

I don't get you people. Most of you are bitching about a 4 disc release of the soundtrack to one of the biggest films in the last 20 years yet I bet you'd all blow your f#%king loads over a 5 disc Avatar score, which is a non-original, mediocre film at best.

Those of you who don't like the score stop trying to ruin it for others FFS. No f#$king wonder I don't frequent this board as much.

I don't get you people. Most of you are bitching about a 4 disc release of the soundtrack to one of the biggest films in the last 20 years yet I bet you'd all blow your f#%king loads over a 5 disc Avatar score, which is a non-original, mediocre film at best.

Those of you who don't like the score stop trying to ruin it for others FFS. No f#$king wonder I don't frequent this board as much.

Ummm have you seen the contents of this new release? Check it out and then say all the complaints and sarcasm is unfounded:

http://vinilo.fm/Not...inal-de-Titanic

ROTFLMAO

Sony improves on failing every time. I really thought there would be at least two or three new score tracks or so on those 2 new CDs.

Repackaging old material and adding music on 2 CDs that have a tenuous connection to the film at best smells like, feels like and sure as hell looks like it: Cashing in on an old phenomenon.

Ummm have you seen the contents of this new release? Check it out and then say all the complaints and sarcasm is unfounded:

Repackaging old material and adding music on 2 CDs that have a tenuous connection to the film at best smells like, feels like and sure as hell looks like it: Cashing in on an old phenomenon.

At the moment the CD is unreleased,and probably not being released until March/April, so everything is pure speculation until more definitive information is released and all the complaints and sarcasm ARE unfoundered.

The thing is this release is practically bullshit. Discs 1 and 2 being re-issues that are still available while Discs 3 and 4 contain crap that is a waste of space, especially the 4th CD as pointed out by others.

If AVATAR got an official complete release I would buy it. I like that score better than Titanic. I didn't really like the film that much and the music does NOTHING for me.

All though the "5-CD" of the boot for Avatar contained a lot of repeated material, it really is only 3-CDs. The point is I'd buy a full expanded or complete version of that score before Titanic.

Edit: Dean look in this thread on FSM.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=86065&forumID=1&archive=0

There's info on what the discs contain. As we've said it's bullshit.

Each track title that starts with "A" seem to get more and more cheesy. A Promise Kept, A Life So Changed, An Ocean of Memories, A Shore Never Reached...

That last one foreshadows 2001 and 2003 Oscars for Horner.

Karol

There is some pretty neat stuff missing like the introductory cues. The main titles and dive scene are begging to be on this.

It's been along while since I've seen the film (and somewhat so for listening to the cd), but doesn't "An Ocean of Memories" contain at least part of themusic from the diving scenes?

Some of it, maybe tracked, I think. The stuff I want consists of this weird and creepy atmospheric music, with Rose's theme for a short montage of scattered items on the ocean floor. It's pretty neat.

• 2 weeks later...

I just learned, while searching for some information, that the recording sessions to "Titanic, including alternates and un-used score, goes to 9CD's.

Good fluffy lord that's a lot of penny whistles.

I'll still buy it*.

* = money willing.

We of course all know recording sessions with bazillion recorded takes and alternate sections would not make a decent selling soundtrack product. It is a different thing to release a well rounded presentation of a compelete score and slapping recording sessions on the market as they are, which is more like a box of raw materials someone, in this case the fans, would have to/ would love to assemble as their own finished product. I doubt a complete release of the Titanic score would be 9 CDs even if all the relevant alternate material would be included.

Apparently Sony is holding it up. And now we know why: so they could release this 4CD "masterpiece" that we've all been "longing" for since NEVER.

:lol:

Apparently a small group of people have this 9CD set. But alas, when you do get it, you're not allowed to trade it, or even give the whole tracklist.

So, if I ever got it, I'd just have to tease you all horribly.

Apparently a small group of people have this 9CD set. But alas, when you do get it, you're not allowed to trade it, or even give the whole tracklist.

So, if I ever got it, I'd just have to tease you all horribly.

I'm not a bit least surprised.

Film score collecting is a world of small circles. Step outside and you are ostracized since sharing means losing priviledge and special status and is a breach of trust. Don't you just love it.

Though if I ever aquire it by a regular trade, you're all welcome to it.

Ooh cool!!! Me wants it!

Huh.

Did we ever have a 4 CD release of anything by John Williams?

Has Williams ever recorded any score that with the film score, alternates, and un-used cues, that would fill up 4CD's?

Huh.

Did we ever have a 4 CD release of anything by John Williams?

Has Williams ever recorded any score that with the film score, alternates, and un-used cues, that would fill up 4CD's?

Depends on how much you put on each CD ;)