The Lord of the Rings vs. a cup of coffee

Admiral Holdo

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• The Lord of the Rings (Howard Shore)
    • A cup of coffee (Kaldi the Ethiopian)

None of this 'LOTR vs. Conan' nonsense, here's a legitimate poll for ya.

LOTR, and a cup of coffee. Both strong, both addictive, both tend to be kinda brown-looking.

Where you do stand?

In all my years I've never drank a cup of coffee. Nor have I listened to the LOTR scores. I can't vote.

Coffee is a brilliant discovery.

Let's take a bean...roast it...grind it up...give it a bath...and then drink its bathwater.

Delicious! I couldn't function without it.

Were it not for the jolt of caffeine that both it and tea provide, the need to colonize far-off tropical regions of the world may never have manifested and we'd still be in the dark ages.

Gandalf would probably really enjoy a nice strong brew of coffee.

I vote Coffee by the way. Good coffee that is.

I have gone all my life without drinking coffee, because I don't want to depend on it. And yes, I know that there aren't any proven health negatives, but I know people who get withdrawal symptoms if they don't have it (ie headaches), so that's reason enough for me to avoid it. And I don't really need it (or at least i haven't so far).

Yo, easily the cup of coffee. I cherish the emotions I've received from Shore's great epic, but nothing feels better than waking up and brewing (or buying) that sweet, sweet coffee. I mean, I wouldn't drink it straight unless it were really premium coffee. But with a little milk and sugar it's unbeatable. Or how about a latte? Oh god, yes.

Indy4, yeah, you get headaches if you go off it, but that's a pretty mild effect in the long run. I think it's helpful (or horrifying) to realize that humans aren't pure beings that can fall prey to addictions. We're MADE of addictions. There's food, sex, music, TV, computer time, physical exercise or inertia, and a hundred other things. All of these habits affect our neural wiring and are reinforced through repetition. So, hell, what's a little coffee? It's easier to deal with than cocaine or heroin, anyway.

My advice (for how to get addicted to coffee) is to get cafe mochas, caramel macchiatos or something like that for a few months. Not every day (they're very expensive), just now and then. After a while, you'll find yourself ready to get rid of that excessive sweetness, and that's when good old lattes and cappuccinos come in.

I'm not against addictions on principal, but I don't want to be in a position where I'm a) shelling out money for my daily coffee fix or b) in a rare situation where I don't have time or access to coffee, and have to suffer the withdrawal symptoms as a consequence.

That's not to say I won't give it a shot, but so far I haven't needed it.

Hey, I don't normally like ice in my hot beverages. But on a hot summers day in the bible belt, a nice home made ice cold glass of sweet tea from an oversized flirty waitress named Billy Anne who is missing two teeth hits the spot. ;)

It's an experience I have not been able to replicate anywhere else in the world.

I like both. Certainly, if I'm going to see the extended versions of all three films immediately after each other, I need coffee to go with it.

Tea with honey is superb. I too can't think of putting milk in it. But I don't even like milk in coffee, unless it's the last pot at a convenience store and I can't wait for a fresh pot.

Honey >>>>>>>>>>> sugar. Specially good honey and not that tasteless thing that I see on the supermarket.

:yes:

I've never even heard of milk and tea before. Sounds nasty.

The vast majority of Brits drink tea with milk.

milktea.jpg

I steep for more than 30 seconds; usually leave the bag in with the glass covered for 2-3 minutes.

I said at LEAST 30 seconds. Seeing as we Brits consume tea almost constantly and sometimes on the move it often isn't feasible to have a cup brew for minutes on end, for eg a hasty cup at work does well sometimes to get my 30secs minimum. We are practical tea drinkers unless at home.

Remember: tea is a way of life for the British.

I don't like the smell or taste of tea. Bleugh.

But there are so many different types of tea. Basically any dried, crushed leaf or herb could constitute tea. You've really rejected them all?

Remember: tea is a way of life for the British.

I remember walking into the old Twinings shop on Strand. It was magic. Can't say I love all of Twinings' decisions, but hey, that was fine tea shop!