Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

Has anyone taken a stab at a good chronological order for the special edition tracks? I know Doug Adams said they are arranged the way they are for "musical" reasons, but I'm curious if anyone has figured out where everything fits chronologically (if at all)?

Also, I'm hearing serious compression issues on this disc, particularly in the latter part of "My Dear Frodo"...anyone else?

The mp3 I bought of the standard edition of Roast Mutton sounds somewhat compressed once Plan 9 kicks in.

I didn't notice any other problems.

Has anyone taken a stab at a good chronological order for the special edition tracks? I know Doug Adams said they are arranged the way they are for "musical" reasons, but I'm curious if anyone has figured out where everything fits chronologically (if at all)?

I don't think Doug said anything about album sequencing at all, did he?

Well, I thought he did. :)

Doug, any idea why only 2 of the 6 "Special Edition-only" tracks were inserted into the flow of the main score, with 4 appearing at the end after the main presentation? Did Shore prefer it that way for a specific reason? Or was it a Water Tower Records decision?

It's presented this way for a specific musical reason. It will all make perfectly logical sense.

Well, I thought he did. :)

Doug, any idea why only 2 of the 6 "Special Edition-only" tracks were inserted into the flow of the main score, with 4 appearing at the end after the main presentation? Did Shore prefer it that way for a specific reason? Or was it a Water Tower Records decision?

It's presented this way for a specific musical reason. It will all make perfectly logical sense.

Ah! My apologies, I didn't realize you were talking about the bonus tracks -- thought you meant the main body of the score, which is essentially in film order.

Gotta keep track of my own posts! ;)

My opinion of the special edition album was at first rather modest, but the music quickly started to grow on me. I can't really remember the standard edition (I listened to the streamed album some time ago), but I got the impression that the Rivendell theme (one of my favorites) was much less prominent in that version - is that correct?

Looking forward to hearing the music in relation to the movie, but I will wait till the worst of the hype is over... probably next week :-)

I'm confused as to why a showdown between a Dwarf and an Orchestral was underscored with Nazgul music.

That really took me out of the film.

I commented on this as well.

The Nazgul theme for Thorin's and Azog's fight was weird.

The Lothlorian theme plays when Rivenhall Elves are attacking orcs?

I think those were Lorien warriors Stefan.

a showdown between a Dwarf and an Orchestral

I'd like to see that.

The Lothlorian theme plays when Rivenhall Elves are attacking orcs?

What the fuck have you been drinking recently?

Swiftkey on my tablet.

It's not flawless

Yeah, the Lothlorien theme plays for Galadriel and the elves of Lothlorien alone.

Could it be that these warriors you speak of are brought from Lothlorien, or sent out by Galadriel?

I don't know how it works in film, but I'm sure there's a reason for the Lothlorien theme's appearance. Don't know about the Nazgul though...

At no point in LOTR has the Lothlorien theme represented Rivendell elves or Legolas!

Well, the elves that arrive in Helm's Deep seem to support my point. Yes, they are from Lothlorien, but they are also sent by Elrond.

To me, Rivendell music symbolises more... ecumenic...for a lack of better words.. nature of Elrond, who seems to be more willing to interact with other races. Whereas Lothlorien describe the original Elvish nature.

That's purely my interpretation, though.

Karol

Is the Nazgul music in the film a new recording, or is it tracked in from FOTR?

Could it be used for Azog because in the world of the film Azog is working for Sauron/Necromancer?

At no point in LOTR has the Lothlorien theme represented Rivendell elves or Legolas!

Well, the elves that arrive in Helm's Deep seem to support my point. Yes, they are from Lothlorien, but they are also sent by Elrond.

To me, Rivendell music symbolises more... ecumenic...for a lack of better words.. nature of Elrond, who seems to be more willing to interact with other races. Whereas Lothlorien describe the original Elvish nature.

Karol

The Lorien theme plays because they are Lorien Elves, and that is that!

There isn't a single instance in LOTR that supports your interpretation.

Could it be used for Azog because in the world of the film Azog is working for Sauron/Necromancer?

Nothing in the film suggest that link,.

It sounded like a new recording to me.

Ofcourse it's not completely without precedent. In the FOTR prologue Shore used Ringwraith material to represent Sauron. But in The Hobbit, there isn't a single tie that I can think of between the Nazgul and that scene.

Then why not use Sauron's Theme? Or better yet, why not the Mordor Descending Third?

The fight happens very closely to the end of the film, and I suspect that part was heavily retooled because it became 3 films instead of two and they needed an action climax. It could just have been a case of very last minute spotting and scoring.

I finally had a chance to watch this, and it was absolutely spectacular! Watching Shore work with the orchestra was wonderful. Anybody who hasn't watched it yet should check it out!

Karol

The Lorien theme plays because they are Lorien Elves, and that is that!

There isn't a single instance in LOTR that supports your interpretation.

Nothing in the film suggest that link,.

It sounded like a new recording to me.

Ofcourse it's not completely without precedent. In the FOTR prologue Shore used Ringwraith material to represent Sauron. But in The Hobbit, there isn't a single tie that I can think of between the Nazgul and that scene.

Actually, Azog's theme throughout the score is a(nother) variation on the Descending Thirds, so there's already a connection to the Sauron/Necromancer material. Make of that what you will ...

I assume you can't really explain the appearance of the Nazgul theme and the Lorien theme in action mode (although this makes ore sense) yet.

I assume you can't really explain the appearance of the Nazgul theme and the Lorien theme in action mode (although this makes ore sense) yet.

I haven't seen the film with finished fx, but from what I've seen, it's not clear where the Elves hail from (other than Elrond). I doubt Galadriel arrived unaccompanied.

As for the Ringwraiths, if you read between the lines of my previous post, I kind of did explain it. ;) Studio prefers that I say no more for now.

Well my copies of both editions arrived yesterday from Amazon

img20121212092016.jpg

img20121212092147.jpg

And Joe was right - the STANDARD EDITION sticker says its the "complete score", while the Special Edition sticker does not!

img20121212092050.jpg

img20121212092057.jpg

Hilarious. Somebody at Water Tower Records REALLY screwed up!

I haven't seen the film with finished fx, but from what I've seen, it's not clear where the Elves hail from (other than Elrond). I doubt Galadriel arrived unaccompanied.

This is what I assumed it was (as I said in a post above). I assumed they were Lorien warriors, not Rivendell warriors.

As for the Ringwraiths, if you read between the lines of my previous post, I kind of did explain it. ;) Studio prefers that I say no more for now.

Hmmm. I suppose some connection can be made, but I need to see the film.

Jason, I am envious of your disposable income! ;)

This is what I assumed it was (as I said in a post above). I assumed they were Lorien warriors, not Rivendell warriors.

So did I, but they arrive of Rivendell like a minute later.....

Hmmm. I suppose some connection can be made, but I need to see the film.

In any case Lothlorien has a much cooler thematic material. Always loved that theme, in any variation. :)

Karol

I think it could be done, but it's certainly more recognizable because of its colours, orchestration, choral accompaniment. Unlike Lothlorien, which has a very defined melody.

Karol

A defined melody would be more suitable in action mode than the more textural colours of the Rivendell music.