Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

Promo has 16 score tracks according to this: http://www.ebay.com/...=item4d07aa2fa1

Now, you guys make sure you check eBay everyday!

Only $43! I can't believe that!

Oh, and here is the cover: apparently, it has My Dear Frodo and A Good Omen. And since the rule now has it that the CD must present the score as heard in the film... You know what that means!

$T2eC16hHJHIE9nysfptKBQwkOpV9Lg~~60_57.JPG

God, how badly I want to listen to this .... if it has the film version of A Good Omen. LotR reuse or not, that eagle cue is brilliant.

I want to hear the Nazgul bit, the choral statement of the Nature's Reclamation theme and the choral work for the Eagles montage.

Well, that's what I meant. The whole thing.

However, I don't think I will ever be able to shed that feeling of utter estrangement when I heard the Nazgul chant in the film for the first time.

True. It still is jarring in film. But I liked the orchestration. I'll just pretend it was for a cut scene from FotR. :P

You guys shouldn't get your hopes up for there being any unreleased music on this promo. For one thing just because there was a stipulation about "film versions only" last year doesn't mean there is one this year. Also, that stipulation was just for the Academy Awards - there are MANY MANY other awards this time of year! Therefore there's certainly a very viable reason for studios to send out OST tracks for consideration to all the various organizations, to present the music in the best light.

I'd be willing to bet money this CD is nothing more than 16 OST tracks chosen to best represent the full score.

I'd be willing to bet money this CD is nothing more than 16 OST tracks chosen to best represent the full score.

I think its just that. But I was referring to whenever we get all of Shore's for the film in some form or another. I wonder how the Complete Recordings will be presented.

You guys shouldn't get your hopes up for there being any unreleased music on this promo. For one thing just because there was a stipulation about "film versions only" last year doesn't mean there is one this year. Also, that stipulation was just for the Academy Awards - there are MANY MANY other awards this time of year! Therefore there's certainly a very viable reason for studios to send out OST tracks for consideration to all the various organizations, to present the music in the best light.

And the FYC site had those exact same tracks from the score I think. Which were not film versions.

I can't deny that heart has greatly desired to hear the revised finale, Nazgûl theme and all. ;)

I would counsel to look at the LotR scores and how they were first presented on the soundtracks, FotR especially having an OST full of alternates, the score resembling the film version only in places. We are this time of course getting nearly twice as much score on the first go but I think it will be just the first go as CRs seem inevitable.

The end of "An Unexpected Journey" seems to point to a new theme. It's reprised more heroically in "The Dwarf Lords". It could either be a new Dwarf theme that will see more light in the upcoming films. Or it could be an extension of the known dwarven themes.

My guess is that the first disc has a selection from the score and the second disc contains only the song.

On another note: I just got an e-mail informing me that my Special CD finally arrived! I can't wait to pick it up at the store after work! :D

I think its just that. But I was referring to whenever we get all of Shore's for the film in some form or another. I wonder how the Complete Recordings will be presented.

I still don't think there will be one - is this not the complete intended score that we have, which is exactly what the other CRs were?

SO...anyone take a stab at a chronological order for the Special Edition tracks (i.e. the "Exclusive Bonus Tracks" at the end of disc 2)? I'm curious as to where they fit, roughly, in order of the film. I'd do it myself but I'm awful at spotting the music in the film that way.

Perhaps they're just concert arrangements, but I'd like to create a roughly chronological playlist.

BTW, I agree with those who think that, unfortunately, there won't be an extended score release for this one considering the (often bizarre) way the music was presented in the film. Which is probably why we got such a generous release time time out. Perhaps they will release something more eventually, but I doubt it will be anytime soon.

The Precious is mine now! I just picked the album up! :D

The European packaging is a bit hazardous to the discs as even though the finely designed cardboard package is beautiful to look at and houses the booklet in the middle (yes it is not attached to the case) the CD sleeves face inside the casing, which makes getting the discs out quite a challenge plus there is of course always the danger of scratching the CDs. This prompts me to move them to jewel cases ASAP. But enough about the secondary issues.

The music has really grown on me over these past few weeks, which is exactly the same experience I had with FotR. It really takes a bit of time to grasp and appreciate it all even though there is also quite instantly memorable material found in the score. In a way Shore has begun again and getting to know the new areas of this musical world is exciting but followed by a sort of comforting feel of familiarity and the appearance of old themes feels like meeting old friends in the midst of all the new ideas. I am sure Shore will produce another magnum opus (or rather complete it) with this trilogy.

Doug Adams' liner notes are very enlightening and entertaining, a condensed Annotated score if you will, which reveals some thematic secrets but leaves a lot for us to discover on our own along the way, which of course is good and fine by me. But the notes provide a great pointers at some of this material and getting a hang of all the major motifs. Kudos to Mr. Adams for this feat, providing such illuminating musicological yet entertaining discussion on a major commercial release such as this and to the record company for creating such a classy product!

And now for another listen of the gorgeous score!

The only one that sounds like a cue meant for a scene is The Edge Of The Wild, which is either an alternate, or a cue meant for the second film. My guess is that it's probably an alternate for The World Is Ahead (based on what has been said here and there).

No, I think its a demo for a scene that got cut. One full of Nazgul tombs and such nonsense.

At some point in the film (after leaving Rivendell) one of the dwarves mention they're at the "edge of the wild". So perhaps it's an alternate version of "Over Hill".

At some point in the film (after leaving Rivendell) one of the dwarves mention they're at the "edge of the wild". So perhaps it's an alternate version of "Over Hill".

I suggested that too - that makes the most sense to me.

I doubt that's it. While the Edge of the Wild is what borders Rivendell, the music is most certainly not suitable for that scene. I think there was an additional scene somewhere around that part of the film that either got removed for the extended scene, or pushed to the next film.

I doubt that's it. While the Edge of the Wild is what borders Rivendell, the music is most certainly not suitable for that scene. I think there was an additional scene somewhere around that part of the film that either got removed for the extended scene, or pushed to the next film.

The motif heard at the end half of the Edge of the Wild is I believe one of the themes associated with the Necromancer, here much slower than when heard in Radagast the Brown. It does also remind me of the Witch-King/Orcs of Mordor motif from Rotk although that is a Fourth Age theme. In any case it clearly has to do with the bad guys. These motifs are of one big cyclical family. :)

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure which themes have something to do with the bad guys or not, anymore....

Are you here to foment chaos or are you going to listen to the music already so you can actually say something about it?

Actually I think he would have shortened a lot of those tracks and include parts of some others if he did a 1disc OST. I mean really, he would have definitely included parts of Brass Buttons and Roast Mutton for sure, plus the end credits song.

I really don't even bother to ponder on that as it is quite pointless, when we have over 2 hours of music from the film on our hands. And I don't intend to make a shorter "listening experience" for Thor. :P

Apparently one of the Making Of books (Weta's "TH-AUJ Chronicles" on the film's design) shows some details of three unseen scenes: the Hobbiton Market Fair, the Old Took's Party with a child Bilbo, and High Fells which is Gandalf's visit to the Nazgul tombs. I have a feeling and as others here have speculated that the bonus track Edge of the Wild might indeed underscore Gandalf's exploration of the tombs. Also this might be where Gandalf goes off to before he returns to save Thorin's company from the Trolls.

Thanks, Incancus! Does that include the bonus tracks?

No the bonus tracks are a mystery still as we have had no illumination what they actually are. Perhaps Doug Adams will soon tell us something about them. They might be purely concert suites of some of the themes apart from the Edge of the Wild that sounds like a film cue but we are not sure where it would go in chronological order, perhaps between Radagast the Brown and The Trollshaws as I just speculated in my above post. :)

Thanks for that insight, Incancus.

As it's a 2-disc set, is The Hobbit complete?

Another difficult question. It does contain majority of the score but as the film is scored probably 80-90% if not more of its running time there are some cues not on this soundtrack album, neither the regular or the Special Edition. Plus there are many pieces that are altered in the film or re-scored and those naturally did not make it to this release. You could say the OST contains Shore's original intentions for many cues that were then changed or unused in the film.

Here is a link to Jason's comparison of the soundtrack albums. Alternate versions of some cues were used on the regular edition that are not found on the Special Edition and obviously vice versa.

Jason's Hobbit OST comparison

This is interesting. From what you are saying, would it worth getting both the 1-disc, and 2-disc editions?

Does the above apply to both the 1-disc, and the box set editions of LOTR? I have all 3 LOTR box sets, but if there is music on the

1-disc editions, that is not on the box sets, then I shall invest.

This is interesting. From what you are saying, would it worth getting both the 1-disc, and 2-disc editions?

Does the above apply to both the 1-disc, and the box set editions of LOTR? I have all 3 LOTR box sets, but if there is music on the

1-disc editions, that is not on the box sets, then I shall invest.

The Hobbit soundtrack comes in two versions, both 2 disc ones. Even the regular edition has 2 CDs but it is about 20 minutes shorter than the Special Edition, which has some extended tracks and those exclusive bonus tracks.

And LotR 1 disc soundtrack albums, especially Fellowship of the Ring are full of alternate takes and earlier versions. The Two Towers and Return of the King do not contain so significant amount of different music but for a serious fan of this music they are definitely something you should look into.