Michael Giacchino's Dawn of The Planet Of The Apes (2014)

Matt C

The track list has been revealed!

1. Level Plaguing Field
2. Look Who’s Stalking
3. The Great Ape Processional
4. Past Their Primates
5. Close Encounters of the Furred Kind
6. Monkey to the City
7. The Lost City of Chimpanzee
8. Along Simian Lines
9. Caesar No Evil, Hear No Evil
10. Monkey See, Monkey Coup
11. Gorilla Warfare
12. The Apes of Wrath
13. Gibbon Take
14. Aped Crusaders
15. How Bonobo Can You Go
16. Enough Monkeying Around
17. Primates for Life
18. Planet of the End Credits
19. Ain’t That a Stinger

Source: http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/06/25/dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-soundtrack-details/

Lol didn't BloodBoal guess "Planet Of The End Credits?"

I think Giacchino posted it to his Instagram.

And there's this

1389434_501885766603961_699998970_n.jpg

I wonder if there's a chance the digital release could still come out on time...

The reactions to the score by the critics who have seen the film seem very positive thus far.

The first 30 minutes of this film might have a few lines of spoken dialogue, mostly apes in their community using subtitled sign language to communicate with one another its almost a silent film with an incredible score by Michael Giacchino.

http://www.slashfilm.com/dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-early-buzz/

And Michael Giacchino's score is one of his finest, which is saying something based on how many amazing pieces of work he's created over the last seventeen years. Rich and beautiful and hugely emotional, I would compare it to the best work of Maurice Jarre. It's a mature piece of composition and orchestration, a perfect companion to the unconventionally beautiful film that Reeves has created.

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/review-dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-is-a-daring-and-dazzling-accomplishment

Michael Giacchino's score for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes would've made Jerry Goldsmith proud. - Jack Giroux (@JackGi) - June 27, 2014

https://twitter.com/JackGi/status/482395820323401728

And the score by @m_giacchino on DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES is perfect. #blownaway - Steven Weintraub (@colliderfrosty) - June 27, 2014

https://twitter.com/colliderfrosty/statuses/482386994215940096

If #DawnofthePlanetoftheApes is as good as the score, then we're in for a hell of a good time. @m_giacchino is the man (and the ape)! - andrew stanton (@andrewstanton) - June 26, 2014

https://twitter.com/andrewstanton/statuses/482045602537037825

I don't get all the love for John Carter. Memorable main theme, but uninteresting rest.

IMHO, JC is Star Trek 2009/Super 8 without the themes.

I think what separates John Carter from ST09 is that it has more and better themes

Yeah, Star Trek has more and better themes.

No way. I mean I love the ST09 score don't get me wrong, but the JC themes are longer lined and more complex.

No way. I mean I love the ST09 score don't get me wrong, but the JC themes are longer lined and more complex.

This.

JC has greater diversity as a whole too.

The track times are up on Amazon, which still lists the digital release as July 8.

1. Level Plaguing Field - 2:21
2. Look Who’s Stalking - 2:35
3. The Great Ape Processional - 4:34
4. Past Their Primates - 1:57
5. Close Encounters of the Furred Kind - 4:38
6. Monkey to the City - 1:16
7. The Lost City of Chimpanzee - 3:46
8. Along Simian Lines - 5:04
9. Caesar No Evil, Hear No Evil - 2:27
10. Monkey See, Monkey Coup - 5:12
11. Gorilla Warfare - 7:37
12. The Apes of Wrath - 4:28
13. Gibbon Take - 2:55
14. Aped Crusaders - 3:26
15. How Bonobo Can You Go - 5:42
16. Enough Monkeying Around - 3:35
17. Primates for Life - 5:42
18. Planet of the End Credits - 8:56
19. Ain’t That a Stinger - 1:10

Total Album Time: 1:17:21

Wow, long album!

Why couldn't Varese have ponied up to make their ST09 and STID OSTs that long! Grrr!

A lot of reviews have commented on the post-credits scene as being very Planet of the Apes-worthy.

Wow, long album!

Why couldn't Varese have ponied up to make their ST09 and STID OSTs that long! Grrr!

Reduced re-use fees are negotiable if the album production run is short. Presumably Sony/Fox/Giacchino negotiated a reduced fee for a reduced production run (say 15000-20000 copies) and were able to put together a longer album.

Paramount, on the other hand, assumes that Trek sells no matter what and would not limit the production run, forcing Varese to pay full whack on the re-use, limiting the album length.

Dropping of choir is a separate issue with different rules before anyone asks!

alright that works

Sounds like a boring blockbuster score in line with current scoring trends (Desplat's Godzilla). I struggling to make it to the end of the samples

Only "End Credits" seem to catch my attention

I'm more impressed than King Mark. The more romantic/tonal cues don't do much for me, but the more dissonant stuff is not too shabby.

Quite like the pointillist wwind/xylophone accompaniment in Monkey to the City, though I wish there were more major 7ths/minor 9ths than minor 2nds. The complaint extends to clusters too.

Just listened to the samples on Anthony's site. Honestly, I am quite impressed!

For whatever reason I wasn't expecting much from this score - I was looking forward to Jupiter Ascending, Inside Out, and Tomorrowland far more, and the suite from the STID concert didn't wow me. So was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the music in these samples, and how different it is from other Giacchino scores. Giacchino has been evolving his sound with every score since after Super 8 or so, and I like the way it's all going!

It does sound quite interesting. In fact, something similar to this -especially the atonal material and the percussion work- could evolve nicely into Jurassic World.

It does sound quite interesting. In fact, something similar to this -especially the atonal material and the percussion work- could evolve nicely into Jurassic World.

I just wish it weren't always so heavy footed, if you know what I mean?

To be honest, I never quite got into this whole PotA thing, but I'll give this a try.

Never liked the 60s-70s scores?

I don't blame you for not digging Elfman or Doyle's entries, though.

Worth checking out?

Worth checking out?

Sure. I'd say the second half sounds more promising.

'Gorilla Warfare', 'Gibbon Take', 'How Bonobo Can You Go' and 'Enough Monkeying Around' are my favourite samples.

Like it should be a little more fun?

But boring.

No, earthier and drier. JC is a score where both Wallins's acoustics and the score's aesthetics perfectly matched.

No. Boring.

B. O. R. I. N. G.

I had to claw my way tooth and nail to get into ST09, then for the process to reset with JC.

Like it should be a little more fun?

Yeah, more unpredictable.

With Jerry, you can feel the music totally following the whim of his imagination. Giacchino's stuff is often more like... you can hear the scaffolding holding it all up.

The samples do sound interesting though. Like Jay I didn't expect much out of this film or score. I still won't see the film, because I've never seen the point of anything beyond the 1968 original. But I'll listen to the score.

Also, someone PLEASE make the cue title puns stop.

Comparing Giacchino to Goldsmith is not and never will be a sensible thing. But DotPotA seems much more inspired than the limp concert suite indicated. The contrast between the mushy parts and the more brooding and relentless cues makes for an interesting listen. I'm intrigued.

Australian iTunes Store already has it...?

Well, for whatever reason it won't play for me, in the US. Maybe it's only available in other countries right now.

Another oddity: The final track is credited to Griffith Giacchino there

post-50-0-55289700-1404500548_thumb.jpg