Michael Giacchino's Dawn of The Planet Of The Apes (2014)

Matt C

Of course I like xylophones.

But in this context, they were a distraction. Their bright, wooden sound took away from the suspensful soundscape already being provided by the instrumental minimalism (e.g. the scene where Koba and his followers scout the armory). Maybe if they were bowed instead of struck...

Are you familiar with the original score?

You don't really belong here, I think.

Why dont you find a filmscore forum where they arent so critical?

Filmtracks maybe.

Who are you talking to?

I like the first 20 minutes of this score, and then it all became a blur. Someone needs to teach MG and Brian Tyler how to properly assemble albums.

And of course, my favourite of music, the wild "Goldsmith-like" woodwinds and xylophones passage in the middle of end credits (right after 4:00 mark) is not even in the film.

Karol

The whole end credits play out differently. They open with some percussion (not sure what cue is that), then jump straight into the Kobo action ostinato (from the end credits), then move to that other choral Planet of the Apes motif, then quote some suspense material from How Bonobo Can You Go and then there's the final portion of end credits track and the stinger (no post-credit scene).

On a different note, it seems the CD covers pretty much everything. And if there is anything missing, I wouldn't notice.

Karol

The whole end credits play out differently. They open with some percussion (not sure what cue is that), then jump straight into the Kobo action ostinato (from the end credits), then move to that other choral Planet of the Apes motif, then quote some suspense material from How Bonobo Can You Go and then there's the final portion of end credits track and the stinger (no post-credit scene).

I thought that the motif at the end of Primates for Life (4:36-5:15), in Planet of the End Credits (4:59-5:22 and 7:32-8:12), and also in Enough Monkeying Around (2:13-2:24) is Caesar's "leader" theme, which appears when he stands on the rock in Close Encounters of the Furred Kind (1:18-1:29) and (from what I can tell) one other time in the film, when Caesar walks in the dam during the fight between Koba and Blue Eyes.

Is it some other Planet of the Apes motif instead?