Hans Zimmer started on INTERSTELLAR

publicist

It's a great release for anyone who likes physical media, and missed out or didn't want to spend $40 on the "Illuminated Star Projection Edition" 2CD set from 2014

if you're a digital buyer, all this music is already on the "Deluxe Version" of the score that's been sold digitally (not to mention streaming free on Spotify, etc) for the past 6 years....  except for the one new track (Day One Dark), which you might have legally obtained for free back in the day via movie-tickets.com

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Some composers don't like having every cue they wrote for a score available to the public, and we only get to hear everything they recorded after they've passed

When the TRL expansion was released - containing two discs of new music- I visited the Zimmer fan site to see what they thought.

Complaining is what I found! They were pissd that he didn't release the FIVE HOUR sessions that had apparently leaked.

One poster whined that it didn't contain a twenty mnute" cue" of nothing but Taiko drums.

My point?

No point. 😎

• 1 month later...

So "Day One Dark" is the sole track that is specific to this new release and the first time it's out in hi-res quality (its availability as a download back in 2014 notwithstanding)?

On 9/30/2020 at 11:55 PM, bruce marshall said:

I'm hoping this shows up at the Amoeba store so I can use my credit/gift . Plus, I can trade in my ost.

It did!😁

2 hours ago, Kühni said:

So "Day One Dark" is the sole track that is specific to this new release and the first time it's out in hi-res quality (its availability as a download back in 2014 notwithstanding)?

Well, TBH. I think the market for this is folks like me who purchased the SINGLE disc ' skywheel' edition..its a a whole disc of NEW stuff for us.😊

On 9/24/2020 at 5:51 AM, Arpy said:

I love this score, don't get me wrong, just not the practice of shilling half-arsed releases.

But, you bought it anyway!

?????

I'm confused😳

On 11/13/2020 at 10:04 PM, Kühni said:

Correct.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Correct.

OK, so if I combine all the tracks of this new release and from the FYC (which, please do jog my memory, made it out as a physical promo, so the tracks could be culled in hi-res, with the exception of bad mastering on "Quantifiable Connection") those tracks that are not on the 2020 expansion, I've got everything from Interstellar that can possbly be had?

(I tried to piece this together on my own and with help from Discogs and Hans-Zimmer.com, but I didn't really get a solid result...) Ta!

Edit: Wait, I distinctly remember a JLB spreadsheet for Interstellar...should I brave the search engine again...? ;)

There was no physical FYC of Interstellar. 6 years in, we still only have those cues in 192kbps mp3s. 

As for the Google Doc, I dunno why you're mentioning search engines. Just go here 

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29073-jays-score-information-collection-non-williams-edition

10 hours ago, Jay said:

There was no physical FYC of Interstellar. 6 years in, we still only have those cues in 192kbps mp3s. 

It definitely exists, but because the quality was basically no different from what was on the website, it basically only exists as a collectable.

@bruce marshall Even if I believe this is a half-arsed measure, I still bought this for posterity and wanting music I didn't have. 

Quantifiable Connection missing from this set and others just plain evil. Zimmer and co. probably thought it wasn't necessary to have yet another version of the theme, but it's arguably one of the most crucial pieces in the film.

8 hours ago, HunterTech said:

It definitely exists, but because the quality was basically no different from what was on the website, it basically only exists as a collectable.

So they burned the 192kbps mp3s that they made for the site, to disc? Are you sure it's an official pressed disc and not a fake? 

52 minutes ago, Jay said:

So they burned the 192kbps mp3s that y made to disc? Are you sure it's an official pressed disc and not a fake? 

I seem to remember someone ripped the CD, but the flaws were inherent. 

I don't recall the same, I thought there was no physical FYC.  Maybe some scam artist just burned the website files to CDRs, made realistic looking packaging, and sold that on ebay

23 hours ago, Jay said:

As for the Google Doc, I dunno why you're mentioning search engines. Just go here 

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29073-jays-score-information-collection-non-williams-edition

Yes, and thank you. But also:

afc84fbacbb5d8b68495c028c42961f9a77dfdfc

Apparently "Day One Dark" is 6:58 on this new release but was 6:49 in the movie-tickets.com download file.  Has anyone compared the two to see what's different?

Is is possible they actually just released the original demo version, and the movie-tickets download is still the only place to get the re-recorded version?

Or did he just microedit the download version, or maybe just shorten the fadeout at the end...

EDIT: Nevermind, the movie-tickets.com file is also 6:58.  Disregard.

They are terrific!

And, of course, were released 6 years ago. The only event this month is a new physical CD edition of that music.  They've all been on Spotify since 2014

The only difference between the 2CD set released in 2014 and the 2CD set released this month, is the 2014 said had one less track (it did not have Day One Dark), and did have a bunch of extra packaging stuff (some sort of light-up star display or something)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The only difference between the 2CD set released in 2014 and the 2CD set released this month, is the 2014 said had one less track (it did not have Day One Dark), and did have a bunch of extra packaging stuff (some sort of light-up star display or something)

And that cue isn't in the film or recorded for the film.

Is that the demo cue he provided Nolan; based on his original suggestion to Zimmer?

Annoying that the lossy FYC is still the only way to get the complete score, as it's the only one of the Zimmer/Nolan scores to which I properly connected.

think that when this came out I bought the CD, but Amazon's Autorip had the digital content of the fancy packaged one. I then dumped both of them when the FYC emerged.

Just now, Arpy said:

Better than this score.

It would actually be a very tricky "versus" poll for me, if one was created. I consider TRON: LEGACY the greatest score of 2010. INTERSTELLAR, on the other hand, came in second after THE UNKNOWN KNOWN in 2014. But overall, I consider them equally great, for different reasons.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

It would actually be a very tricky "versus" poll for me, if one was created. I consider TRON: LEGACY the greatest score of 2010. INTERSTELLAR, on the other hand, came in second after THE UNKNOWN KNOWN in 2014. But overall, I consider them equally great, for different reasons.

How to Train Your Dragon is the greatest score of 2010.

2 minutes ago, Arpy said:

How to Train Your Dragon is the greatest score of 2010.

It's a good score, but it wouldn't break my top 10 of the year. And no. 2 is better, anyway (it came in 5th on my list in 2014).

Just now, Arpy said:

I like your assessment of Tron Legacy, but have to disagree with you on everything else!

That's OK. I'm used to disagreeing with everyone on everything. :)

4 hours ago, Thor said:

It's a good score, but it wouldn't break my top 10 of the year. And no. 2 is better, anyway (it came in 5th on my list in 2014).

You and your damn lists!

😆

INTERSTELLAR is top ten material ( for decade).

HTTYD is number one- by alot!

TRON is fun but no classic