Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

P.S. I still remember watching the RotK EE and the Mouth of Sauron scene and being blown away by the absolutely brilliant snarlingly heavy set version of Evil of the Ring theme. Unashamedly melodramatic but oh so powerful moment.

Unquestionably one of my favourite parts of all of LotR. You have no idea how many times I've played that cue just for that bit.

Another similar moment I appreciate is "The Foot of Orthanc". All that churning and the snarling statements of Isengard and Gondor, oooh and that finale....LOVE it!

I love these outstanding small short moments in the middle of a track. Somehow the short appearance of the Lothlorien theme on basses in the middle of Shelob's Lair (it's been too long since last watching the film - I believe it's the "Aiya Earendil!" etc. vial moment) gets me every time, so that I often scrub back and repeat it several times... the way it seems to offer a moment of respite (while the trembling violins fade into the background), just to pick up its pace and lead back into the frenzy.

The brass Goblin theme plays twice in the film.

Indeed.

Would you indeed be more specific where?

That music in Flies and Spiders is just beautiful. Is that for the bit where Bilbo glimpses through the trees?

Hearing all this new music is making me even more excited, Doug was clearly right about the best stuff being later in the tracks.

Thorin's theme in protector of the common folk?

I'm really liking the Lake-Town stuff at the moment.

Thorin's theme seems to be the major recurring theme (Smaug aside) this time.

Thorin, Smaug and Necromancer is the most recurring music from the first film I guess. Small bit of Bilbo stuff in there.

Hmmm, it does sound like it somewhat, yea... but it's clearly not enough to give Plan 9 credit on the back cover, it could be a coincidence.

Hmmm, it does sound like it somewhat, yea... but it's clearly not enough to give Plan 9 credit on the back cover, it could be a coincidence.

Plan 9 weren't credited on the back cover of AUJ either I think. It's in the liner notes that that kind of info is found no? I don't have my copies of AUJ at hand to check.

The big statement with which the three notes are exposed immediately reminded me of the Plan 9's theme.

Coincidence or not, I hope that in some way the theme has not been abandoned.

90 seconds is not enough after hearing Feast of Starlight cut off where it does!!!!!

Yeah that was very cruel!

Wow the Smaug material with that exotic percussion beat at the end of the second disc sounds quite unusual for Middle Earth but also very cool! :)

Beyond the Forest! I am even more flabbergasted than before. Gimme the whole album already so I can hear it in full glory! :P

It really reminds of Sissel's beautiful work for Asëa Aranion in RotK. Ooooh which reminds me Kingsfoil is Asëa Aranion in Quenya! Perhaps there is some connection musically right there!

The Forest River is totally flooring. Wow.

It is a very extrovert Shore score indeed! Nice swash and buckle in there. :)

I think I'll skip all those samples already. Before it'll spoil the whole album.

The only thing I checked was the last track. Might be the best track Shore has written in quite some time.

Karol

I think I'll skip all those samples already. Before it'll spoil the whole album.

The only thing I checked was the last track. Might be the best track Shore has written in quite some time.

Karol

It is a striking piece indeed. And you are a man of stronger will than many here Karol. :)

How long is the whole score? Is this 1/3 of the whole thing or more? I'm too lazy to count myself.

Well, the standard OST runs 1:55:51 and the SE OST runs 2:09:17, and this Soundcloud preview is 43 1/2 minutes.... so the preview is about 37% of the standard OST, or 34% of the SE OST.

Anyone else hear shades of The Lion King in it? ;) It's wonderful!

Yeap. But as I said it brings Asëa Aranion from RotK to mind as well.

I hear hints of Nazgûl theme at 18:40.

Sounds a bit like the Foot Steps of Doom motif to me. But Shore often uses such slow rhythmic pulses to ratchet up tension in LotR scores.

Gandalf encounter at ~28.10 ish?

Sounds like that new Dwarven/Erebor theme to me, first heard in 'In the Shadow of the Mountain' and returning in 'My Armour is Iron'. It'll be something to do with that statue or the door no doubt.

Nice to see positive reactions to the 90 second previews. The TORN reviewer who got the ENTIRE score seemed slightly underwhelmed.

Again, I really wouldn't make judgements on this score based on a review from TORN.

Will be listening to this soon. Looking most forward to Beyond the Forest.