Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

The superlative compliment for DoS would be "just like LotR".

I am now expecting the publicist to swoop in with some sardonic/acerbic remark on the quality of LotR scores. ;)

The superlative compliment for DoS would be "just like LotR".

I am now expecting the publicist to swoop in with some sardonic/acerbic remark on the quality of LotR scores. ;)

He will break upon this topic like water on rock. Publicist's hordes will critique and nitpick, we've seen it before. Conversations can be refocused, posts edited. Within this thread... we will outlast them.

Inky's post talkes a while to load, so it shows a blank screen, then a black video space for a few minutes before Theoden's image appears.

The theme from Beyond the Forest (which returns several times in the score) looks really wonderful and the new arrangements of the main and sub theme for ​​Smaug are a little masterpiece, able to perfectly describe the various aspects of literary personality (hoping that is reflected also in the film) of the dragon (when it comes in at full power in My Armor is Iron I was going to have a heart attack!).

Now that would have been brilliant!!

Not sure if you're joking, but there are minor variations in LotR.

Well, yeah, but I was thinking of a more direct incarnation of the main "Shire" melody, but minorised.

Is that the "Evil Times" motif just before it?

Edit: Actually, the same "Evil Times"-like fragment appears later in the On the Doorstep clip. Perhaps it refers to something more specific...

Was it? I thought it was a moth! It was pretty grainy footage mind!

Was loving My Armour is Iron and really getting into it and then... Ed Sheeran :( Although the song is growing on me it still doesn't work for me.

Beyond the forest is beautiful. Would be funny if it was Tauriel's theme or Tauriel's love theme or something.

Love that bit at the end of 'On The Doorstep', with the newly developed Erebor theme going into Thorin's theme.

That 'Dwarrowdelf' sounding theme in 'In the Shadow of the Mountain' is great. It didn't develop quite how I wanted it to there, but it definitely seems to be hinting at something more. Since Doug said it is an important new theme, I'm hoping Shore is going to do something special with it in TABA.

Interesting to hear hints of the History of the Ring in that Necromancer track. I'm very intrigued as to why they'd show a scene involving him so early in the film, almost certainly without Radagast and Gandalf's involvement. Something involving Azog perhaps, or an early introduction to Thrain?

The Smaug material is excellent.

Love that bit at the end of 'On The Doorstep', with the newly developed Erebor theme going into Thorin's theme.

That 'Dwarrowdelf' sounding theme in 'In the Shadow of the Mountain' is great. It didn't develop quite how I wanted it to there, but it definitely seems to be hinting at something more. Since Doug said it is an important new theme, I'm hoping Shore is going to do something special with it in TABA.

Interesting to hear hints of the History of the Ring in that Necromancer track. I'm very intrigued as to why they'd show a scene involving him so early in the film, almost certainly without Radagast and Gandalf's involvement. Something involving Azog perhaps, or an early introduction to Thrain?

The Smaug material is excellent.

Yes I did note the History of the Ring theme stuff. It hints at it but never fully develops. Quite interested to see where that goes.

Barrels out of Bond is amazing. I know there's nothing really new there but Bilbo stuff!

Is there a bit of Smaug's theme in the Necromancer track as well?

I know this is only a small portion of the score but I think it's interesting that there's not real hint of the Plan 9 melody.

Also some ring material in "Mirkwood" but I imagine that's connected to Bilbo.

Is that the Laketown theme we hear in the latter half of Durin's Folk?

What I presume is Bard's theme seems to feature in a couple of tracks, but we knew that already. Interesting to see if it relates to anything in 'Girion, Lord of Dale'.

'Quest of Erebor' is only 3:22 long, and just over a minute of that will be taken up by logos, credits and titles. I can't imagine the beginning being just over 2 minutes long, given that we'll need dialogue scenes and flashbacks. I'm guessing the soundtrack won't contain all the music for this sequence (I wonder if some of the music in the film will be tracked, and it was omitted for that reason)

That's true, but it was a lot more straightforward. Here we'll have the meeting in Bree framework with flashbacks worked in. I envisaged perhaps a 4-5 minute sequence in all.

Here we'll have the meeting in Bree framework with flashbacks worked in.

Wait! Where did they say that (I mean, the flashbacks bit)?

Well it's not confirmed, but surely this is where we'd find out about Thrain, and how Gandalf got the map and key, so as to set up his encounter with Thrain at Dol Guldur? Unless they have him tell the story at Beorn's house (which is a possibility, given that they were going to do the Azanulbizar flashback there at one point)

The longer samples sound very good indeed! There is an interesting Soul of the Ultimate Nation vibe to some of the action music, which is a good thing as that score contains some of Shore's best action writing in my opinion. :)

The music is fine. THE HARPSICHORD MUST GO!

It damages the integrity of the Middle Earth soundscape!

Maybe it is the dulcimer (by reading the liner notes...)...but for me, the background rythm of concerning hobbits sounds very 'baroque' and it has a similar sound as a harpsicord....

Maybe it is the dulcimer (by reading the liner notes...)...but for me, the background rythm of concerning hobbits sounds very 'baroque' and it has a similar sound as a harpsicord....

It is clavichord Manuel.

It is clavichord Manuel.

the one in FOTR or the one in DOS?

Doug doesnt mention it in the analisys...though i did just a quick read...

(if it is a clavichord in DOS, then it is perfect, isnt it?)

It is clavichord Manuel.

the one in FOTR or the one in DOS?

Doug doesnt mention it in the analisys...though i did just a quick read...

(if it is a clavichord in DOS, then it is perfect, isnt it?)

Clavichord will be used in DoS.

I really wonder what will the theme heard in Beyond the Forest stand for. Gorgeous stuff, which reminded me a lot of Bilbo's Song.