Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

I think if anything we've heard is Tauriel's theme it's the bit that appears, among other places, at the start of The Hunters.

Wait, scratch that. I don't know what I'm talking about.

lol. How does The Forest River sample not sound like a big huge orchestra to you?

I will make an exception for 2 cues: The Forest River and My Armor is Iron. Those 2 "action" cues match the openness of the previous scores more closely than anything else in these samples. But somehow, even the quieter dialogue moments of the LOTR scores sound more open than what I'm hearing here. Many of the smaller moments here remind me of the recording of "The Silence of the Lambs". Great Shore score, but a VASTLY different recording process than LOTR.

lol. How does The Forest River sample not sound like a big huge orchestra to you?

I will make an exception for 2 cues: The Forest River and My Armor is Iron. Those 2 "action" cues match the openness of the previous scores more closely than anything else in these samples. But somehow, even the quieter dialogue moments of the LOTR scores sound more open than what I'm hearing here. Many of the smaller moments here remind me of the recording of "The Silence of the Lambs". Great Shore score, but a VASTLY different recording process than LOTR.

Well, for one thing, as Conrad Pope said the NZSO could use some older instruments in their strings to get a better sound; that's likely the biggest difference as far as the orchestra goes: the age/quality of the instruments being used. It really does make a marked difference when you're used to hearing the Stradivarius infested LSO, LPO or LA string sections.

But really I think most of the perceived difference is just a matter of the material we're hearing. When you get the blistering brass clusters and aleatoric seething, you'll know you're home.

Well, for one thing, as Conrad Pope said the NZSO could use some older instruments in their strings to get a better sound; that's likely the biggest difference as far as the orchestra goes: the age/quality of the instruments being used.

But really I think most of the perceived difference is just a matter of the material we're hearing. When you get the blistering brass clusters and aleatoric seething, you'll know you're home.

Hehe, I sure hope so! :)

It's clear now that the theme was for their Journey, not the company as a whole, which was likely always the Misty Mountains theme. Too bad it got cut form the film and (almost) the OST

Listening to the samples now. I dunno, maybe I'm losing it but if anything this sounds more in line with LOTR than AUJ did. Sounding great so far!

Listening to the samples now. I dunno, maybe I'm losing it but if anything this sounds more in line with LOTR than AUJ did. Sounding great so far!

It does to me too.

AUJ is as far removed from a LOTR score as you can be in PJ's framework. Everything from this point on will move closer to LOTR.

It does to me too.

AUJ is as far removed from a LOTR score as you can be in PJ's framework. Everything from this point on will move closer to it.

Yes that is a good way to put it. Oh and I am loving the preview clips.

Beyond the Forest sounds fantastic indeed! :)

It does to me too.

AUJ is as far removed from a LOTR score as you can be in PJ's framework. Everything from this point on will move closer to it.

Why is that? Dry sound from recording at Abbey Road?

It does to me too.

He meant the writing, not the recording techniques.

It's far too early to tell but this isn't sounding any drier than TTT to me. In fact I'm getting something of a Towers feeling from the samples in general.

Interesting. And TTT was as wet as could be, to my ears. I'll need to listen to the samples again when I get home from work.

It definitely sounds drier than TTT, but its not an issue at all. I don't think they were going to go for the LotR wet sound.

But in terms of the music, its certainly sounds a lot closer to LotR than AUJ was, which makes me excited.

It does to me too.

Ah I see. I'd be interested to hear in what ways you feel the writing was different? I thought it was very much in line with what had come before it.....to me, TTT seems to be the most "out of place" Middle-Earth score, not AUJ.

It does to me too.

Yes - original post edited for clarity*.

*Apologies for beer-induced lack of clarity initially, but it's Friday!

Sounds very...crisp! Nice change of pace from the blurry echoes of Lord of the Rings Complete Recordings, or the blurry and dry bloat that was AUJ.

It's as though a dragon breathed some gentle fire on it.

With regards wet vs dry sound, I just remember Towers sounding clearer and more detailed than Fellowship, particularly when I heard the CR. I think that's what influenced me when comparing the sound of DOS. After hearing the samples though, I'm just very very excited about hearing the whole thing. Sounds like we're getting plenty of new themes :D

It does to me too.

Ah I see. I'd be interested to hear in what ways you feel the writing was different? I thought it was very much in line with what had come before it.....to me, TTT seems to be the most "out of place" Middle-Earth score, not AUJ.

The LOTR trilogy has an interesting thematic structure over the course of the trilogy - in FOTR everything builds to the creation of the Fellowship and develops from there, TTT concentrates on deconstructing everything as storylines and characters split, ROTK then re-constructs everything in contrapuntal or serial fashion.

An entertaining little offshoot of this is the treatment of all the 'ring' themes in ROTK. The various motifs all crash together in the Smeagol/Deagol prologue and are disassembled over the course of the film, culminating in Sammath Naur which is a lengthy deconstruction of The History of the Ring. Unfortunately the original compositional intent is missing from the final picture as the cues that showcase it were all unused!

I have completely avoided the question, but tangential discussion is fun I think. :)

Smaug will be the most 'out of place' Hobbit score, but you will be in a comfortable place at the end of There and Back Again.

That first 11 seconds of 'A Spell of Concealment' is interesting. I was wondering if it might have something to do with Thrain, since it reminded me a little (just a little) of The Dwarf Lords.

It's probably for Gandalf becoming invisible to enter the dungeons of Dol Guldur, and discovering Thrain tortured to the brink of death.

The clip from The Quest of Erebor seems plausible as the opening of the film, accompanying the studio logos. Given that the mood of the music is rather doleful, I can help wondering if and how it's going to lead in to a statement of the The Shire theme to go with the main title.

(I'm talking about the original intentions, of course. For the actual film they'll probably just paste in some Shire music from The Two Towers or something...)

The clip from The Quest of Erebor seems plausible as the opening of the film, accompanying the studio logos. Given that the mood of the music is rather doleful, I can help wondering if and how it's going to lead in to a statement of the The Shire theme to go with the main title.

(I'm talking about the original intentions, of course. For the actual film they'll probably just paste in some Shire music from The Two Towers or something...)

Which would be perversely amusing as the intended Shire music under the TTT opening titles was replaced!

Incidentally, James Sizemore also orchestrated Desolation of Smaug - http://jamessizemore.com/

Is there a lot of vocal work in the score, Jim? There doesn't seem to be a whole lot in the samples...

Karol

Yes.

-NotJim

Oh my God! That is my favorite part of Shore's writing. "Beyond the Forest" sounds unbelievable. I wish he would score a film of mine in the future. :P Can't wait to listen to the complete album!

Seriously, its starting to be like with the Prequel scores, TPM/AUJ "Too much tracking!" DOS/AOTC "It doesn't sound like the other scores!"

With the difference that DoS is, or seems to be, more entertaining.

Any YouTube video of the samples? I'm on my crappy mobile which doesn't play these things from the actual sites.

So Doug confirms an important new theme in 'In the Shadow of the Mountain', which is rather reminiscent of the Dwarrowdelf theme/moment. I'm guessing it will be when they look upon Erebor first-hand, or perhaps when they're walking up the huge statue. Can't wait.

Beyond The Forest gives me exactly the same kind of shivers the best moments from LotR did. I'm so happy.

It is strikingly beautiful from the first listen really, even that small snippet. And I am getting giddy just thinking about how Shore will develop that material during the 5 minute running time of the track. :)

Sent the chills down my spine the first time I heard it.

I hope we hear more of it because it really sounds like it'll shape up to be my favourite theme in the trilogy.

RETURNING themes I hear in these samples:

03 A Necromancer

0:02-0:27 is this a new variation of Descending Thirds?

08 Barrels Out Of Bond

0:00-0:13 Bilbo's Adventure Theme

0:22-end Bilbo's Fussy Theme

12 The High Fells

0:09-0:11 is that choral word from the Ringwraith theme?

0:11-end the High Fells strings from Edge of the Wild

13 The Nature of Evil

all The Woodland Realm theme (theme when Thranduil enters Erebor in My Dear Frodo)

17 Durin's Folk

0:18- 0:28 Erebor

18 In The Shadow of the Mountain

all Is this the opening logos theme from AUJ?

19 A Spell of Concealment

0:11-end Descending Thirds

21 The Courage of Hobbits

0:09-end The Shire

22 Inside Information

0:07-0:09 first two notes of Smaug's Theme

24 A Liar and a Thief

0:200:25 Smaug's inverted theme (from Axe or Sword)

Did I miss anything?

Good list! From what I can make out, I would add:

10 The Forest river

The motive started in the horns and continued in the trumpets sounds like a more action-oriented variant of the Woodland Realm theme

20 On the Doorstep

Erebor motive at the beginning and end. Also, the short horn bit in the middle is reminiscent of "Into the West", but I'd guess that's coincidental ;)

I do quite like Sheeran's song but "Beyond the Forest" seems like the perfect end credits song. I wonder why they felt they needed to get someone to do a song when Shore had probably already recorded that.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I do quite like Sheeran's song but "Beyond the Forest" seems like the perfect end credits song. I wonder why they felt they needed to get someone to do a song when Shore had probably already recorded that.

I don't think it's a song per se, at least not in the traditional sense. I believe it'll be more like an end credits piece or suite version of that theme that will play after the song in the end credits.