Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

There is no Gondor Reborn in these samples. You're just hearing what you want to hear. ;) There may be structural similarities, but such resemblances are superficial and exist across many themes or motifs used.

Why would he want to hear the bloody Reborn theme in DoS? Don't tell me SUH has gone off the deep end in his fandom now? ;)

Hehe. I think SUH, in his perfect fantasy world, would rather believe that the Nazgul Theme and Gondor Reborn Themes were used in AUJ as a part of Shore's master grand plan (even if it meant altering their purpose entirely by design) than admit that it was just a simple case of tracking at its finest. ;)

Nazgul theme wasn't tracked :D

Lifted, tracked, they both essentially serve the same purpose and are used for the same reason. I saw no reason to distinguish between the two terms ;)

They're new lyrics though are they not?

Not sure, but it makes no difference to me. It's still the same music, and it still doesn't belong, regardless of the far-fetched "thematic connection/explanation" we'll inevitably get.

Not sure, but it makes no difference to me. It's still the same music, and it still doesn't belong, regardless of the far-fetched "thematic connection/explanation" we'll inevitably get.

Well if the lyrics are different (and I think they are) then it isn't the same as tracking really because at least something of it is new. It's not like they just pasted in part of Weathertop. They did to an extent but they did something new with it!

I'm waiting to hear the excuse before I dismiss it. Maybe it'll be a load of rubbish but I don't know where they're going with the changes so I'll wait an see. It isn't the first time that that music has played for someone who isn't a Ringwraith so I'm happy to wait and see.

"THO-RIN! DON'T-DO-THAT! (NO! NO!) THO-RIN! WATCH OU-OUT!"

ROTFLMAO

Well if the lyrics are different (and I think they are) then it isn't the same as tracking really because at least something of it is new. It's not like they just pasted in part of Weathertop. They did to an extent but they did something new with it!

I'm waiting to hear the excuse before I dismiss it. Maybe it'll be a load of rubbish but I don't know where they're going with the changes so I'll wait an see. It isn't the first time that that music has played for someone who isn't a Ringwraith so I'm happy to wait and see.

Writing new lyrics shouldn't suddenly give merit to that new instance. So what if its not tracking? It's just as wrong (even more so because they bothered to record old music, with some changes). The new lyrics aren't what impress me, its the new music that does that...and sadly that's not what we got.

As for the excuse, as far as I know, the Ringwraith theme has only been used incorrectly once and that was in the FotR prologue. We never actually got an explanation for that, but it was fresh back then and the pros of the thematic integrity of the whole, far outweigh the cons.

Just think about it. It isn't hard to come up with some obscure connection between the Ringwraiths, Thorin and Azog, but it'll be an excuse for excuse's sake. Because whatever explanation we end up getting (if we get one), there'll still be at least 10 other themes that could have worked much better contextually in that scene.

Seems like a good enough reason to me.

The point is that PJ must like the adrenaline pumps that come while editing the film one week before locking it for distribution. So a lot of his musical decisions could be avoided if he made up his mind when he should....

This.

So, what about the fellowship theme in The Three Hunters its almost exactly the same as The Bridge of Khazad-Dum? :P

Um, the Nazgul theme was going to be used in Parth Galen for the Eye of Sauron.

At least the Power of Mordor, Footsteps of Doom, and Descending Third was applied correctly in that revised cue!

So, what about the fellowship theme in The Three Hunters its almost exactly the same as The Bridge of Khazad-Dum? :P

Er, no.

Er, yes.

Take The Bridge of Khazad-Dum/Balin's Tomb, remove the opening cymbal crashes, lower the mix on the strings, and record it with the LPO, strip back the Orchestration a bit, and alter the ending to fit into the Heroics of Aragorn, and you got The Three Hunters.

You have to admit, that those statements are closer than for example, the statement in Khazad-Dum, and the statement in Osgiliath Invaded.

Er, no.

Er, yes.Take The Bridge of Khazad-Dum/Balin's Tomb, remove the opening cymbal crashes, lower the mix on the strings, and record it with the LPO, strip back the Orchestration a bit, and alter the ending to fit into the Heroics of Aragorn, and you got The Three Hunters.
You could say about a shitload of statements of any theme. "Remove a few instruments, change the ending a bit, strip back the orchestration..." That doesn't make them sound the same.

Don't talk to it - don't encourage it!

About the Nazgul theme thing:

"They [The Gundabad Orcs] were the servants of the Witch-king of Angmar before they had seized Gundabad."

Now there is a tenuous link if there ever was one.

BTW, some of "The Forest River" reminds me of Buckbeaks Flight, perhaps this is because Mr. Pope?

It does?

About the Nazgul theme thing:

"They [The Gundabad Orcs] were the servants of the Witch-king of Angmar before they had seized Gundabad."

Now there is a tenuous link if there ever was one.

You'd think with 40 minutes of the score out, we'd get more thoughtful discussion than far-fetched links and conspiracy theories...

BTW, some of "The Forest River" reminds me of Buckbeaks Flight, perhaps this is because Mr. Pope?

It does?

Yes, , 14:21 of The Forest River reminds me of 1:32 of Riding the Hippogriff.

Even if it weren't far-fetched, why would it play over a heroic Thorin moment?

Change of focus from Thorin's heroism to the doomed effort of trying to attack Azog. Plus the theme sounds so kewl!

In a way the music in the film spells out the outcome with more certainty than Shore's initial idea, where the courageous mood created by the chorus is shattered only at the last moment when Azog easily dispatches Thorin and it comes more of a surprise, all helped by the music.

OOoh I am getting pretty good at explaining these things away. Go on! Ask us another one!

You might be better at it than the Horse himself!

You can't just expect to use flowery poetry to mask the obvious and get away with it!

Oh wait....

Yup it appears to be the full standard album (minus the song).

And in... 320 kbps? Is this a wise move?

Karol

I'm pretty shocked too, maybe a mistake by someone at WB? I guess listen while you can, just in case...

Karol

I'm pretty shocked too, maybe a mistake by someone at WB? I guess listen while you can, just in case...

What is even more shocking DownloadHelper has no problem downloading the files as well.

Ah well, I'm buying the album in any case.

Karol

Oh fantastic! Just when I am going to get home really late today the full tracks decide to appear. Oh the agony of waiting!

Karol

What is even more shocking DownloadHelper has no problem downloading the files as well.

Ah well, I'm buying the album in any case.

Karol

But you are now going to listen to the whole thing from the FYC site aren't you? ;)