Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

Press release was the final nail to that coffin! ;)

It is a bit funny that iTunes beat Water Towers Music to it. But no doubt it was a concerted effort.

Plus naturally Sheeran got most of the PR on the press release outside the usual blurbs about Shore's career. This was to be expected. It seems that Sheeran was a Hobbit fan from the start as well. So many people on the production seem to have been.

But the track list is certainly the most exciting part of the whole thing. I wonder when will WTM put up some samples.

Meh, all the Shearan stuff sounded like typical PR backslapping to me.

And yes, he's getting all the PR instead of Shore. This is why I'm against the idea of having songs in the LotR movies - using the artist as a 'name' to sell CDs with every press release featuring soundbites saying how amazing they are. Please.

And yes, he's getting all the PR instead of Shore. This is why I'm against the idea of having songs in the LotR movies - using the artist as a 'name' to sell CDs with every press release featuring soundbites saying how amazing they are. Please.

I'm not sure how many CDs the Sheeran song is going to sell - mostly, his demographic doesn't buy physical CDs, so they're likely to pay the $0.99/$1.29 for the song as opposed to laying down $15-20 for a CD full of that icky orchestral music.

I didn't intend on listening to any of DoS until I get the soundtrack, but Jackson posted a video for the song on Facebook and I caved. It sounds good enough - I could see it at the end of the film well enough.

I wonder if this has something to do with age, and a generation issue. After all, the Ring films were released 10-13 years ago. When I see a comment like the one above, that you can imagine this song over the credits, then I think it must be an age thing because I can't.

If you ever sat in a cinema 11 years ago and felt the magic of Gollum's Song playing over the final shots of Two Towers, you can't imagine some corny guitar twanging over this film. It's a night/day difference.

At least Finn's song was somewhat toned down for the theatre, and was eased into by an instrumental prelude.

I wonder if this has something to do with age, and a generation issue. After all, the Ring films were released 10-13 years ago. When I see a comment like the one above, that you can imagine this song over the credits, then I think it must be an age thing because I can't.

If you ever sat in a cinema 11 years ago and felt the magic of Gollum's Song playing over the final shots of Two Towers, you can't imagine some corny guitar twanging over this film. It's a night/day difference.

Shit son, how young do you think I am?

Well, let's face it. The Lord of the Rings was a fantasy epic for Tolkien fans and fantasy geeks. The Hobbit is an adventure spectacle for the masses. Or at least that's how the marketing department sees it. I just get the feeling they're aiming much wider this time around. And it's not necessarily doing the film nothing but good.

Oh, well. I'll still be having a good time at the cinemas this December.

Oh, well. I'll still be having a good time at the cinemas this December.

Same here. Though not in 48 frames per second this time.

I am also thinking of just 2D showing this time around. I watched it in both formats last year and didn't get much out of the 3D hulabaloo extravaganza.

I always thought you were, like, 16.

No no BB is actually 35. We are just his social experiment, with whom he plays with like a master puppeteer. ;)

At least Finn's song was somewhat toned down for the theatre, and was eased into by an instrumental prelude.

It's can't be an age thing. I feel the same way about Gollum's Song and I'm 21.

I always thought you were, like, 16.

No no BB is actually 35. We are just his social experiment, with whom he plays with like a master puppeteer. ;)

I always though BloodBoal was 7.

like there isn't a night/day difference between these and the ring films! how can you be surprised by corniness after having seen AUJ? this ain't gonna be the next über-trilogy, man! get with it.

and no, of course it isn't an age thing.

I'm still really liking that cover

Do you mean the darker purple cover that is shown on the Amazon UK (for some reason they have that up there and the "normal" coloured on the "Import" version) or the SE cover in general?

Er, either one I guess! It's cool colors you don't normally see on soundtrack releases

I like it too. Nice imperial purple (or burgundy as Doug says). Also the different one at Amazon UK one might be just a wrong cover. They have known to make such mistakes from time to time. ;)

Press release was the final nail to that coffin! ;)

It is a bit funny that iTunes beat Water Towers Music to it. But no doubt it was a concerted effort.

Plus naturally Sheeran got most of the PR on the press release outside the usual blurbs about Shore's career. This was to be expected. It seems that Sheeran was a Hobbit fan from the start as well. So many people on the production seem to have been.

But the track list is certainly the most exciting part of the whole thing. I wonder when will WTM put up some samples.

Meh, all the Shearan stuff sounded like typical PR backslapping to me.

Yes this bothers me too. It's a classic case of "My Heart Will Go On Syndrome." With the original trilogy, there was no big play up about the songs or the people singing them, they were just there, an organic part of things, and that's that. Now, it's all guided by marketing of course. That doesn't necessarily mean the songs can't still be good, though.

I sat in the cinema 10, 11, and 12 years ago virtually every weekend while the films stayed in theaters. You're right: it's a night/day difference... between the films. I couldn't imagine these songs bringing me back to the real world after the original trilogy. But I can after this new one.

Maybe it is an age thing, but not in the manner you think - "good old days" and all that. What will ever be as wonderful as our treasured past?

But what do I know? I'm only 16.

It's beside the point. Any of the LotR songs made you stay for the credits and ponder the emotions of the film some more, because they were perfect end points that carried the spirit of the film over to the credits and out of the theatre.

All this and Finn's song conveys is "ok, show's over, let's get out of here".

The worst thing that could happen is that it starts playing over the final scene before the credits roll.

There's a zero percent chance of that happening

It's beside the point. Any of the LotR songs made you stay for the credits and ponder the emotions of the film some more, because they were perfect end points that carried the spirit of the film over to the credits and out of the theatre.

All this and Finn's song conveys is "ok, show's over, let's get out of here".

True. Can't argue with that.

I think Doug was going by the description offered by the PR department when he called it burgundy. Threw me off as well. I would call it "imperial purple" for pomposity's sake. :P

It's beside the point. Any of the LotR songs made you stay for the credits and ponder the emotions of the film some more, because they were perfect end points that carried the spirit of the film over to the credits and out of the theatre.All this and Finn's song conveys is "ok, show's over, let's get out of here".

They only really made people here stay, the fans f the music. The vast majority of people you ask what is "May it be" won't know, even seeing LOTR. I would have said Gollums song too but the name gives it away.

What people know by name and what people are influenced by are two pairs of shoes. I didn't know the name Howard Shore (or this place) before Two Towers, and it certainly knocked my socks off.

Every time I saw AUJ in the theatre, it was so noticeable that the atmosphere went out of the room and the audience when the song started, because it totally disconnects from the film.

That was never the case with any LotR showing I attended. The transition to the credits and the title songs were perfect. The Hobbit thus far was several levels below that.