Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

crocodile

Oh yes, Suicide Squad, I thought you meant Justice League. That would make more sense, BTW. 

Anyway, don't avoid the question, do you still have faith in Snyder?

Some additional ruminations.

I think the film makers made some smart choices in how they once again "rebooted" Batman.

It actually doesnt feel like a reboot at all. More like the seventh or eight Batman film. So instead of havinf scenes of Bruce Wayne leading the glitzy showbizz life with supermodels we seen that he happens to have one in his bed when he wakes up from a nightmare. (and she is nowhere to be seen in the next scene).

The Batmobile and the Batwing are treated like we have already seen them before, so no dramatic establishing shots showing off the new designs. It's straight to action. The Batcave get's treated like it's the office building where Batman and Alfred happen to work. It's just a background

These details really fit with the characterization of this Batman. A guy who has been at this for 20 years and who's focus is on a single objective.

The history of Batman is hinted at rather then explained in full yet again. Even an important thing like the (apparent) of Robin gets a single shot.

The dynamic between Batman and Alfred reflects this too. It's different from the previous films where it was painted as a father/son relationship.

Jeremy Iron's Alfred calls Wayne Sir, or Mr. Wayne, but does so with a slight as of casual disdain. At one point he sits down and grabs a paper while it's Bruce who serves him a cup of coffee. These are men who have known each other and trusted each other for so long that any sense of pretence have long since vanished. And it's clear that Alfred disapproves with the direction Bruce has taken his life. Voicing his concern as an equal, not as a servant or a disappointed father.

Senator Burrows, the person who grants Luthor access to the Kryptonian ship and Zod's corpse looks like the spit of Donald Rumsfeld. Coincidence? I think not.

I recall in the end credits in the bit where they usually list what songs were used there was a mention of something played on an instrument made from a human thigh bone...what?

Trying to make some sense of the dream sequence Bruce has when he is waiting for the decryption of Luthor's data.

So it's Batman looking for Kryptonite in a hellish desert city that seems to have been hit by an apocalyptic event. He is attacked by soldiers wearing the S symbol and creature who have insect wings. He gets taken and an vengeful Superman rips his heart out because Batman took someone he loved. Then The Flash appears out of nowhere and tells Bruce that Lois Lane is the key, and that he was right about..."someone".

This scene appears to be a combination of a setup for the JL movie and a manifestation of Wayne's fears about Superman. The problem is that it's confusing in the context of the rest of the film, certainly up to that point.

Was that Michael Shannon as Zod, or did they made a dummy?

This film, like MOS seems to be following Marvel's trend of not worrying too much about secret identities. Supes knows who Batman is, though i can't remember how he learns this. Luthor finds out who Clark Kent is, Lois know who both are etc etc...

I love the different POV of the Metropolis battle from MOS. In that film the focus was all on Superman and we saw nothing of the consequences of the destruction. In the opening of this film the destruction is all we see and get only 2 or 3 far off glimpses of Superman.

Like MOS this film doesnt have a lot of humor, but there is some of it. I like how when the smoke clears after Wayne's building collaspes the first thing he sees is a horse, and he momentarily looks puzzled. (A horse is also seen when the senate building blows up, btw)

And the line "I'm a friend of your son./ Yeah I figured because of the cape" is good!

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But hear this ... Bruce Wayne's father is The Comedian, man!

Cool! Is he any good? I loved him as The Comedian.

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

All the actors were good in Watchmen except for maybe Malin Akerman.

I dunno. Are we supposed to like Silk Spectre II? If so then she failed. If we are supposed to think she's a bit of a self-obsessed hag, then Akerman did alright.

I liked that. Batman cannot kill Supes because he too has a mommy!

Though there seems to be missing something. They go from all but killing each other to having each others back in an instance. The Batman v Superman plot which dominates the film gets junked for the Doomsday one a little too easily.

17 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I would love to see Snyder direct something again which has a good script.

I still have faith! BvS proves he hasn't lost it!

BvS's script was decent. Thank goodness Terrio rewrote it, there's none of those clangers that were in MOS like "Where did you train, on a farm?" 

I loved the exchanges between Senator Finch and Lex, very Argo-esque with the snappy dialogue. But I think the overall story flow and the subplots crammed into the script is a by-product from Goyer's drafts.

48 minutes ago, Matt C said:

I loved the exchanges between Senator Finch and Lex, very Argo-esque with the snappy dialogue. 

One of the film's best scenes. And the whole "Grandma's Peach Tea" payoff at the White House was very Nolan-esque, which was a good thing in this case.

I thought the Martha exchange at the end of the fight worked well, especially with Zimmer's music. But how they suddenly became best friends was kind of funny, especially when the whole "I'm a friend of your son's" line came in.

Yep, it's like there was a scene missing there.

This just occured to me.

Even though it's not really stated anywhere in the film (as far as I recall) Lex Luthor must know that Bruce Wayne is Batman. Since he constantly manipulates Bruce's alrwady growing fears about Superman. I do wonder how Lex found out about the Batman's obsession towards the Man Of Steel.

Right now I'm assuming Luthor found out Clark's identity from data obtained on the Kryptonian ship. I don't remember if he actively tried to manipulate Clark Kent before he gained access. (Pictures of Batman's mutilations of victims were sent to Kent at the Daily Planet midway in the film, but I think that's after Lex takes command of the ship).

Well I liked Batman's Data in Star Trek Generations moment.

And fuck me dead this movie took forever to get to the point! For the whole first half of the movie, wait no, first two thirds, I was getting restless.

At least Man of Steel didn't fuck around like this one did.

Ahem....

You are weak, Son of El, unsure of yourself. The fact that you possess a sense of morality, and we do not, gives us an evolutionary advantage. 

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Yep. "Nice coat." "Nice ride."

Both of those are great though!

I think they're funny little quips but don't necessarily find them to be good writing. It's like the kids in the car pretend shooting and then the batmobile blows up a few cars. That's straight out of Transformers.