Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

crocodile

Sure, you like a radio hit here and there, but only if it's from your childhood. How many Pop/Rock CDs do you have in your collection, Steef? Classical music? Other genres? You said it several times that you only care for film music. I never understood that. Good music is good music.

I think I only have Amy Winehouse's Back To Black and some Michael Jackson compilay CD.

But Alex, if that is reason enough for you to look down upon me, even in the wake of the atrocities that happened today in your country then that is your prerogative (as Dr. Dre once said).

This quote from a review is quite spot on, I think:

"Superhero movies are now like websites with too many pop-up ads, clogging the running time with teases for future films that won't be fun either."

I don't know how Alex defines "positive first reactions", but its RT score is currently at 37%, and all the reviews that have popped up on my FB feed are either negative or mixed.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batman_v_superman_dawn_of_justice/

I think this film has potential for being fun Snyder, but the trailers just indicate something very messy.

50 minutes ago, KK. said:

I don't know how Alex defines "positive first reactions", but its RT score is currently at 37%, and all the reviews that have popped up on my FB feed are either negative or mixed.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batman_v_superman_dawn_of_justice/

These days critics love movies  such as The Martian so 37% may be actually good news. MOS started out very positive on RT. When I finally saw the film, I couldn't quite figure out why.

Somebody stop Zack Snyder. Somebody save the world.

Seize the Nolanite!

57 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

These days critics love movies  such as The Martian so 37% may be actually good news. MOS started out very positive on RT. When I finally saw the film, I couldn't quite figure out why.

I don't know Alex, it's usually with movies in the 50s-60s that fall into that "misunderstood greatness" category. With anything below 50% on RT, its usually safe to say its not any good. And anything in the high 90s is something you should take with a grain of salt, usually indicating a competent film, but held too high on a pedestal.

MOS never had a high rating from what I remember. It started out in the low 70s. Now it's at 56%.

Empire gave it 3 out of 5 http://www.empireonline.com/movies/batman-v-superman-dawn-justice/review/

Empire normally get caught up in hype and over award. So 3 from them should be alarming to you fans who were really excited for this movie. 

And the Telegraph gave it 2

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice/review/

I stick to the summaries and snippets these days and it does sound exactly like I was expecting it to be (crammed, gravely serious and bloated). I noticed one critic somewhere said it was "insanely long", which means I'll probably get around to watching this about the time I finally watch The Dark Knight Rises. 

No.

Ah, well. I just want it over with (got a midnight ticket for tomorrow night).

15 hours ago, publicist said:

I still bitterly regret watching MOS.

It was one of the most miserable cinema experiences of my life. And I'm not exaggerating. I felt tired, depressed and got an actual headache from watching it, and couldn't bring myself to even revisit shorter segments of this. And I can do that with most bad films.

Karol

31 minutes ago, crocodile said:

No.

Ah, well. I just want it over with (got a midnight ticket for tomorrow night).

It was one of the most miserable cinema experiences of my life. And I'm not exaggerating. I felt tired, depressed and got an actual headache from watching it, and couldn't bring myself to even revisit shorter segments of this. And I can do that with most bad films.

Karol

Oh don't be such a drama queen. It wasn't that bad!

I rewatched it yesterday to prepare for Batman v Superman. Yes, it is.

And I'm not particularly looking forward to BvS either. Oh, well. Here's hoping I'm wrong. 

It made Superman Returns look like a sublime milestone in art history.

I'm not trashing Man of Steel because it's not a Richard Donner film, or because it is more "Nolan-esque" (whatever that means). I'm trashing it because I was bored and not entertained by it. And because it had nothing to do with what makes Superman... Superman. Pity, because many good ingredients were in place.

I'm seeing the new one cause I'm intrigued by Batfleck. Snyder might not be my kind of director, but he did justice to both Nite-Owl and Rorschach. And Batman is sort of both at once. I don't particularly care about the Frank Miller references (always thought he was a bit overrated), but the Arkham games vibe is a good thing.

Karol

Oh I'm just pissing about.

It's funny, I think it may have been my first or second post that was yelling at people for deciding not to see MOS because of the bad reviews.  What a cunt.

35 minutes ago, Thor said:

Well, he does -- to an extent, anyway.

I always wondered what makes the battle between Supes and Batman last more than three seconds anyway. Superman can obviously obliterate Batsy in a heartbeat.

36 minutes ago, Thor said:

Well, he does -- to an extent, anyway.

You've seen it already?

Apparently it's Wonder Woman who steals the show.

42 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Then you have post modern hobbyists likes Croc who expect it to be shit but go anyway - just so they can moan about it online. Mob deconstruction as a pastime.

What you call a "post modern hobbyist" I just call a movie fan?  Have you never been surprised by a movie you expected to be shit? I know I have.

Anyway, this is the kind of reasoning that juvenile morons use to abuse critics who give bad reviews to movies they haven't even seen.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

What you call a "post modern hobbyist" I just call a movie fan?  Have you never been surprised by a movie you expected to be shit? I know I have.

You're not getting it. That's not the reason in a million years why user Crocodile is going to see Batman Versus Superman, I assure you of that. 

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

I always wondered what makes the battle between Supes and Batman last more than three seconds anyway. Superman can obviously obliterate Batsy in a heartbeat.

Kryptonite, man.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

You've seen it already?

On 22/03/2016 at 2:12 PM, Thor said:

Came back from the film now. The first 2/3rds are quite good, the last third is rather poor -- interchangeable with any given Marvel extravaganza of the last decade. Throughout the film, there are weaknesses and strenghts. The strenghts are where Snyder is allowed room to really do his stuff -- like the gorgeous dream sequences. The weaknesses are in predictable plotting, over-acting by Jesse Eisenberg and some of the run-of-mill, grating 'noise' (both visually and aurally).

Unlike most others, I like several elements in the score -- especially the references to MAN OF STEEL, the guitar stuff for Wonder Woman and the SHERLOCK HOLMES-like theme for Lex Luthor, which pans out as the chord progressions underlying a slow 90s power anthem. Also some of the Wagnerian choral music is fine. But the intense drumming was done much better in MAD MAX and the onslaught of action music is also "standard" and nothing to write home about.

Overall, a very uneven experience. 3 out of 6.

I don't think it's fair to say that he kills Superman.  He BEHEADS Superman, but Superman's head is still seen winking at the camera at the end of the movie.  Clearly alive.