Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

crocodile

It was not as bad as it's being made out to be, but it wasn't great or anything. The fight with the CGI monster was horrendous and obviously the weakest part of the whole thing. Affleck's Bruce Wayne/Batman wanted to be in a better movie without all this Superman crap. My favorite scenes were the Batman killing spree with automatic weapons and the dream sequence where he shoots guys in the desert. Jeremy Irons was cool. Luthor was actually really good. I wasn't feeling these versions of Supes and Lois. Ugh. The score was horrendous. Visually, it was kind of a huge disappointment. I was expecting better from Snyder. It did drag at points, but that usually happens when these flicks surpass 2 hours.

8 hours ago, Sharky said:

I wish they'd bring intermissions and overtures back.

Since a few years intermissions are back (in Belgium) and I hate it. People just get refills. Hideous places, that's what they are.

1 hour ago, Drax said:

Probably needs a 90 minute cut.

The cut will only get longer (a few more violence bits will be added again).

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

But what I liked it is that it is more interesting visually, at least for the most part, than Man of Steel. Feels like there is a filmmaker's stamp all over it, even if it might sometimes hurt the film. 

Karol

That's the part of the movie I'm curious about. Surely, it's not hyper stylized as 300 or Watchmen, right? MOS was made to be less artificial (more natural and realistic). I've heard that they would maintain the same style of the first film. OTOH, the filmmaker's stamp is precisely what is encouraged at DC.

5 hours ago, Sharky said:

Terrifically shot, staged and scored.

Better than MOS?

The review has good points, though I don't personally mind a darker, less funny version of the MCU.

It's main problem lies in the whole Batman versus Superman concept. Even though the motivations, build up and actual fight all do work better then expected, it is still a movie that can only ever end in a stalemate. So it's more like a WWE Wrestling match in a way then a true battle between titans.

That the real "enemy" then turns out to be a imposing, but completely characterless CGI monster that grows bigger every time you try to blow it up (which they keep trying anyway) doesnt actually help the film. Batman and Superman team up, which is ultimately what you want, but against a foe which just isnt interesting (I never read the comics, so I have no idea if Doomsday is better there).

I'm curious to see how Civil War will handle it's very similar premise. They obviously won't have a giant CGI monster appear for it's final act. But pitting one half of the MCU against the other and and having everyone come out friends again is not going to work.

Doomsday is just a relentless killing machine in the comics who doesn't speak and only wants to destroy everything on its path. Superman and Justice League chase him all around the USA and eventually they end up in Metropolis where Superman and Doomsday essentially pound each other to death. His origin is slightly different (no General Zod or anything like that), but there's a Kryptonian connection in there as well. Plus, his origin was revealed some years later and wasn't part of the original storyline. And Luthor had nothing to do with it as Doomsday was created in Krypton (I think).

And, as I mentioned in my previous post, it was supposed to be backbone for Tim Burton film in the 1990's. Well, the first half of it anyway.

DOS03.jpg

Karol

That doesnt sound very interesting.

If I were to compare BvS to anything in the MCU then I would say structurally it comes closest to Iron Man 2. Which also is a film with several plots jammed into a single film, where the switch from one story line to another often seem arbitrary.

Back in 2008 to 2010, were people aware that Marvel was building a "shared cinematic universe"?

I only became aware of this when I saw Captain America: The First Avenger. I wasn't aware that Thor was part of this "universe" when I saw it initially.

Well, the best thing about the death of Superman storyline in the comics is what happened in between the final blow and his eventual return maaaany months later.

Since it is all relevant to the topic, here is a documentary about the Doomsday comic book event (which was a big thing back then):

And here is a long document about the unmade Tim Burton film (pretty cool stuff):

Karol

1 hour ago, Drax said:

Back in 2008 to 2010, were people aware that Marvel was building a "shared cinematic universe"?

I only became aware of this when I saw Captain America: The First Avenger. I wasn't aware that Thor was part of this "universe" when I saw it initially.

The seeds were sown in 2008, when RDJ appeared in the post-credits scene of The Incredible Hulk.

(Would have made more sense for Fury or Coulson to show up, given the circumstance, but RDJ was a much more exciting cameo)

Even after the first Iron Man, with that first extra post-credit scene, I assumed they were laying the groundwork, even though I didn't know at the time what the exact plan was.

For me, Affleck's Bruce Wayne/Batman annihilated the Nolan interpretation. I liked that they delved more into his psyche with nightmares and that he was ultimately a darker, more disturbed guy. They also didn't screw it up with a romance, which I was worried about from the trailers. Batman settling down and getting married in some foreign country is not my Batman. What was that all about? It wasn't perfect, but I blame that on all the Superman crap. The movie basically falls apart after the Batman/Superman brawl, with the exception of Batman kicking ass (which the "no killing" rule alleged long-time comic fanboys have been calling out) and other assorted moments. There's 2/3 of a decent movie with awesome Batman material that was unfortunately constrained by the Superman material.

I have no real problem with the Batman killing thing.  It's not my preferred Batman, but I enjoy Tim Burton's Batman movies and Nolan's Batman movies, which all employ some murder or at least condoning of murder on Batman's part.  But this movie looks like a joyless cartoon fart.

I'm hopeful that I'll be surprised when this comes out on Blu-ray, but I'm certainly not paying $12/apiece to see it, even if I could get out of the house and away from my baby for three hours.

How is Batman going to combat cunning terrorist organizations operating within the United States without weapons and with a "no killing" rule? Diplomacy? Y'all remember when Christian Bale's Batman stupidly went to confront Bane and his henchman in their stronghold on foot without weapons and got his ass rightfully handed to him? The Michael Keaton and Ben Affleck Batmen would have just blown the place sky high from a remote location and swooped in with a fighter jet to pick off any remaining guys with machine guns and missiles.

The thing is, it was a tramautic, gun point murder that spawned Batman. His contempt for guns and murder would stem from this. It's my prefered version of Batman anyway, and one that features in pretty much all his greatest stories (minus The Killing Joke debate)

That might have flown back then. But in the 21st century, we're dealing with people armed with automatic weapons, chemical weapons, bombs etc. With a "no killing" Batman, Bane's reign of terror happens. I mean, I'm not saying it isn't a valid interpretation of the character, but it's not my preferred one.

At the moment I can not actually recall if Afflecks Batman actually kills anyone outright. Save the guy with the flame thrower i guess. But even that was self defense.

It's implied that at this point Batman has become brutal and callous though.

He certainly kills people with the Batmobile earlier on. But he becomes especially brutal when he swoops in with the Batwing and starts picking guys off and causing explosions. He then uses their guns against them and stabs a guy with a knife. I estimate he killed around 20-30 guys.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I was never really aware Batman had a "no killing" moral code.

He didn't have one in the original comic books.

Plus, this version originates from Frank Miller incarnation of the 1980's.

04-DKR-Superman-vs-Batman.jpg

Karol

Yup.

Does anybody find it really weird/funny how Superman is sad and/or depressed throughout this film? Or pissed off. I felt really sorry for him, he looked quite miserable. That is why Hans Zimmer's film never appears in its heroic statement, it's just the melancholic piano statements. 

And you thought Brandon Routh was being mopey. ;)

Karol

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

He saves all those lives, yet 'Merica hates him!

Ofcourse he is sad

So let me summarize Superman's story in this: He is sad and misunderstood and then it gets worse, then he gets his ass kicked repeatedly. And then he dies!

Karol

The wildly eccentric Armond White, my favourite living film critic, likes it.

Fanboys do not own the franchises of Batman and Superman movies, so director Zack Snyder went against the mob and dared to raise the genre to a level of adult sophistication in 2013’s Man of Steel, the most emotionally powerful superhero movie ever made. (Fanboys hated it.) Snyder’s sequel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice adds politics, bringing to the fantasy some contemporary, real-world concerns. This is not conventional comic-book allegory; rather, Snyder uses the figures of Batman (Ben Affleck) and Superman (Henry Cavill) walloping each other to give visible substance to social and moral issues, much as Greek tragedy does. He takes the wildest, Bizarro World fiction — of two superheroes turned super foes — and uses the premise to explicate our current dilemmas concerning power, principles, and divinity.

It helps that Snyder is also visionary, inclined to extravagant spectacle and gifted with a signature erotic touch. An early montage equates violence, wealth, loss, and grief through symbolic images of bullets, pearls, blood, and tears. It is witnessed by the young Bruce Wayne, a paranoid orphaned millionaire who misconstrues Superman’s involvement in the previous film’s battle that devastated Metropolis (and traumatized nearby Gotham City), and so he vows a vigilante’s revenge. With its legal-brief title, Batman v Superman reflects the confusion that pits secularists against believers, and the partisanship that inhibits national alliance. This tension is so visually amped up that the opposition of Batman to Superman feels revelatory: Man versus the god in Man.