Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

crocodile

33 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I think they're funny little quips but don't necessarily find them to be good writing. It's like the kids in the car pretend shooting and then the batmobile blows up a few cars. That's straight out of Transformers. 

That was inappropriate in a movie series where Batman doesn't shoot people.

So were the 70s and 80s but we still love and watch those films, yes? I don't care about his Transformers-era filmmaking. The first one still had a touch of that 90s action with the score and everything but it was still mostly intolerable.

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I think they're funny little quips but don't necessarily find them to be good writing. It's like the kids in the car pretend shooting and then the batmobile blows up a few cars. That's straight out of Transformers. 

It's like the "I'm not wearing hockey pads" quip. The Nolan brothers seem fairly tone deaf when it comes to writing and filming comedy. Timing and double meaning are non-existent!

The attempts at humor or wittiness in the Nolan films were complete and total disasters, with the exception of some Joker stuff. The humor came from things that were meant to be taken seriously (AKA unintentionally funny moments), such as Shinzon's voice, Gordon's wife slapping him and crying after he fakes his death and Batman speaking. Those fucking movies are so overrated.

23 hours ago, KK. said:

One of the film's best scenes. And the whole "Grandma's Peach Tea" payoff at the White House was very Nolan-esque, which was a good thing in this case.

I thought the Martha exchange at the end of the fight worked well, especially with Zimmer's music. But how they suddenly became best friends was kind of funny, especially when the whole "I'm a friend of your son's" line came in.

It's actually funnier if you've seen Hollywoodland:

4999139-006hyd_diane_lane_004.jpg

I guess it's fair to not understand why the fuck he brutally killed like 20-30 guys, but to be outright opposed to him killing? How is he supposed to survive against legions of terrorists armed with automatic weapons, bombs, assault vehicles, chemical weapons etc.?

How the hell was he pulling that ship through the ice with a chain? Wouldn't the chain have just snapped? It's like in Superman Returns when he lifts that continent into space. Wouldn't he have just busted through? These are supposed to be serious films?

3 hours ago, amh1219 said:

Nonsense. The Nolan films are more than funny enough for what they are.

I agree!  I think the Nolans have wonderfully dry humor.

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Overselling it a bit, but yeah, his 90s films are quintessential action cinema.

Michael Bay a genius? This explains a lot!

I rarely seen so much narrative incoherence as in the movies of Michael Bay. He can't even decently tell a single scene, nor can he set a mood. 

Alex

Otherwise known as incoherent MTV style. If you need 10 cuts to go from A to B then you are making things needlessly messy. Soderbergh studies Spielberg's Raiders because he believes movies should work without sound and thus with their images alone . Maybe it's time for Bay to do the same?

lionel-messi_416x416.jpg

"What?! Messi is not needlessly! Who said that?!"

9 minutes ago, Drax said:

Obviously Bay is doing something right because audiences keep returning to it. 

Just because Transformers are oversized doesn't mean it's automatically "right". 

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I havent seen Pacific Rim, should I? Del Toro used to be a very promising director if I recall.

I found it to be really "meh".  About on par with your average Marvel film.

YES! It does have to be Godzilla. He's recognisable, he's iconic, and he has a distinctive personality compared to all these other generic monsters no-one cares about.

Godzilla is the Snake Plissken of giant monsters.

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I havent seen Pacific Rim, should I? Del Toro used to be a very promising director if I recall.

While not good either, it's probably better than that Godzilla movie with Cranston. 

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The endless barrage of shots. He needs 10 shots, while another director might only need 2. No sense of pacing, or eb and flow. Everything at the same constant pace and volume.

Well is it no pacing or the same constant pace? Those contradict each other. The films are supposed to be high octane relentless action, and he succeeds very well at achieving that. 

If you listen to a long piece of music thats constantly played at the same volume and rhythm, after a while the mind starts to wander and it's hard to keep your attention focused.

That is how I feel about those Michael Bay action scenes in the Transformers films. If I remember correctly the third one has an action finale that is about an hour long. And almost all of it is shot and edited in the same way. With little regard to actually still telling a story. (a great action scene is essentially a story with little or no words)

Koray you say that OK because his films are "supposed" to be that way. maybe you are right. I do quite like Bad Boys and The Rock is very good. But instead of pulling me into his films, his style of action actually detracts.

I wonder if Michael Bay has ADHD or some other sort of attention deficit disorder. It would explain his style of film making. Everything turned up to 11, all the time.

10 hours ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

I guess it's fair to not understand why the fuck he brutally killed like 20-30 guys, but to be outright opposed to him killing? How is he supposed to survive against legions of terrorists armed with automatic weapons, bombs, assault vehicles, chemical weapons etc.?

I bring this up with people who complain about BvS "character assassinating" both Batman and Superman, and they go "Well, he could knock them out or intimidate them, but killing is a no-no!" 

Batman no-killing stance is not about eficiency in crime fighting, but an absoluted principle that goes back to the moment where his parents were killed. And although Batman is a character prone to many different valid interpretations (and though I haven't seen BvS yet) I really deslike when Batman kills unless in a situation of lesser of two evils (like he did in the end of TDK)

16 minutes ago, Romão said:

Batman no-killing stance is not about eficiency in crime fighting, but an absoluted principle that goes back to the moment where his parents were killed. And although Batman is a character prone to many different valid interpretations (and though I haven't seen BvS yet) I really deslike when Batman kills unless in a situation of lesser of two evils (like he did in the end of TDK)

Affleck's Batman is heavily modeled after the Frank Miller version. His Batman has been present in Gotham for two decades, and his viewpoint clearly evolved to that of a soldier's, where he's constantly 'at war' with the criminals. Obviously something happened during that time. So he doesn't kill criminals on a good day, or if they attack him first.