BloodBoal

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The first film is very good. Funny, well acted and original, if a tad overlong (why do they always have endless fight scenes of people who cannot die?)

The second one was a lot darker, not as much fun and very overlong. It did have a couple of good setpieces though. The wheel sight is hysterical.

The third one, everything but the kitchen sink, self-important CGI epic, with little of the irreverent charm of the first one. That final battle seems to go on forever.

The fourth one. Dunno, never saw it.

While I do find something to enjoy in all of them (how could I not? ;) ), that IS a pretty accurate description of the first three.

11 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I like the second one, too.

And I'm also one of the (very) few to like the third one as well, warts and all. It's not an entirely satisfying conclusion to the trilogy (what the fuck did they do with Norrington in that one?), but it's still a lot of fun nonetheless. Great music, too.

I like them both. Actually, main main beef with the third film is that it is TOO SHORT.

The story seems distinctly underdeveloped and I would have preferred had it been longer, but with the kinks smoothed out.

And with perhaps some extra time given to actually SEE the cool new locations, such as Shipwreck Cove.

In the final film, it is "blink and you miss it". :eh:

Plus... The whole "Pirate Brotherhood" story basically went nowhere sensible and neither did the Calypso business.

I always assumed they came up with that specifically to have an excuse for a massive fleet-to-fleet sea battle.

But when the fleets were amassed, they were left to do... well... absolutely nothing.

Instead we got a sea battle between the same two ships that did battle in the previous movie.

My assumption: They DID at some point intend to have the two fleets do battle, but then the budget ran out.

And the Maelstrom was a relatively cheap alternative, that would still seem "suitably epic" for the final film in the trilogy. :unsure:

Thank goodness for The Dutch though; the film for Michiel de Ruyter more than makes up for the lack of proper sea battles in PotC 3 and 4!

That is why I normally call that film by a different name: "Sea Battles: The Movie". Because that is pretty much what it is. :lol:

49 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think all the films are good fun to be honest 

As do I. They're ridiculous, but I love them all, each in a different way. The first one for the lack of zaniness cited above. The third one BECAUSE of the zaniness cited above. Is it bloated? I'd just call it intricate. Don't get me wrong, I don't want that level of detail in every film, but for the end of that trilogy, I thought it was wonderful. Every single film in this series has produced wonderful AND terrible music. It's mind boggling, really.

11 hours ago, Muldoon said:

As do I. They're ridiculous, but I love them all, each in a different way. The first one for the lack of zaniness cited above. The third one BECAUSE of the zaniness cited above. Is it bloated? I'd just call it intricate. Don't get me wrong, I don't want that level of detail in every film, but for the end of that trilogy, I thought it was wonderful. Every single film in this series has produced wonderful AND terrible music. It's mind boggling, really.

The third film gave us, I think, a fantastic score - full of themes and some nice action.

The fourth, not so much, and given the amount of actual score on the CD, I get the impression Zimmer didn't relish it either. He used the bullshit 'reuse fees' excuse when talking to Daniel Schweiger. (I say bullshit because... well, what other Zimmer release has been affected by fees? He's too popular for that.) I'm very happy someone else is composing for this one.

I thought it was clear by the drop in quality that Zimmer didn't do much for On Stranger Tides. But then again he's done other sequel scores that have completely lacked what made the originals so great. Looking at you Inferno. 

Zimmer going completely on auto-pilot and doing a score just for the money is the Zimmer I'm not interested in. An auto-pilot Goldsmith or Horner score could still be a fun listen. With Zimmer they are just pointless.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Zimmer going completely on auto-pilot and doing a score just for the money is the Zimmer I'm not interested in. With Zimmer they are just pointless.

Indeed. And this is exactly what Inferno and On Stranger Tides suffered from.

21 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I wouldn't say the third one is too short, rather that the running time is not used properly (spending too much time on stuff that didn't necessarily needed it, and thus wasting time that could have been used to develop other stuff).

You are not wrong! ;)

19 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Dead Man's Chest somehow works for me but mostly because of Davy Jones. Without him, I don't know if it can even hold up.

Davy Jones is indeed pretty awesome.

Though why they put a Scotsman as captain of a ship that submerges called "Flying Dutchman" is still quite a mystery to me.

They could have used a different ship name and least it could have been somewhat logical.

As it is, I do mostly enjoy it. But it makes not the slightest shred of sense.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Zimmer going completely on auto-pilot and doing a score just for the money is the Zimmer I'm not interested in. An auto-pilot Goldsmith or Horner score could still be a fun listen. With Zimmer they are just pointless.

It's remarkable if you compare Stranger Tides with The Mummy - two scores where neither composer really wanted to do it. I'd say the latter is one of the best scores of Goldsmith's career, whereas the former... well. The less said the better.

I don't think anyone would agree that The Mummy is one of Goldsmith's best scores. Its a really nice one though.

Also, I've never heard he didn't wanna do it. But he got into a disagreement with the director during the scoring process.

The Mummy is one of my favorite Goldsmith scores.  But I'm a bit of a no-thankser on Goldsmith generally.  I've tried, oh I've tried.  If it's not a score I remember fondly from a movie already, it doesn't do much for me.

The score to The Mummy is pretty darn glorious!

Probably beats out any of the PotC ones. And the fourth one is clearly the least inspired, which IS saying something, considering the first one!

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I don't think anyone would agree that The Mummy is one of Goldsmith's best scores. Its a really nice one though.

Also, I've never heard he didn't wanna do it. But he got into a disagreement with the director during the scoring process.

I believe he didn't think much of the film to begin with. The disagreement towards the end just added to it, I think.

3 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

The score to The Mummy is pretty darn glorious!

Probably beats out any of the PotC ones.

Probably?

It might not be one of Goldsmith's most challenging or intelectually stimulating works. But it's one of his most enjoyable scores, written with flair and earnestness and the recording is absolutely top notch.

Nothing on any of the POTC scores can touch it

6 hours ago, Romão said:

Probably?

It might not be one of Goldsmith's most challenging or intelectually stimulating works. But it's one of his most enjoyable scores, written with flair and earnestness and the recording is absolutely top notch.

Nothing on any of the POTC scores can touch it

I did not want to be inconsiderate to those people who think Hans Zimmer is great and PotC 3 is one of his best scores.

That would make it "arguably one of Hans Zimmer's very best scores" against what may be considered "not Jerry Goldsmith's very best score".

I was hoping to avoid that debate because it could go either way for different people, based purely on personal preference.

Seems pointless to me to argue over that.

Personally I definitely agree with you though and am far more fond of The Mummy.

That has got to have some of the best Egyptian music that I know of.

On the other hand, At World's End may be pretty good, but it is still Hans Zimmer and it still is not Cutthroat Island.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe he just doesn't have a massive role in the film, or he does a big part to play and they're just keeping it hush hush

He replaced Davy Jones - so there is certainly a story function that he could serve.  Whether it's worthwhile, IDK.  I'd rather see Keira Knightley's character come back and go on adventures, but that's just me.

My assumption was that he'd have a small role or a cameo - I was kind of surprised that he popped up in the Super Bowl ad.

Whatever happened to Keira Knightley anyway?  Other than that Everest movie, I haven't seen her in anything in a while

Think the only thing I've personally seen her in since Pirates was Seeking a Friend for the End of the World with Steve Carell.   Wasn't she just nominated for an Oscar a year or two ago?  Seemed fairly active at that time.

Isnt the young guy Bloom's character son?

That would explain Blooms appearance... maybe deux ex machina...

Its funny how the young man (as bloom did) resembles Guybrush.. and almost every nemesis in these films seems to mimick the each-game-different iterations of LeChuck...

Yeah. it would be fun..that they continue doing piratey movies. Finish the sparrow franchise with this film and start another one with moneky island.

They could even be in the same 'universe'... and make sparrow cameos if that kind of thing sells more tickets...

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

The CG looks really obvious: not a fan.

And yet another bland actor as the young hero: not a fan.

But Geoffrey Rush + Kaya Scodelario + Javier Bardem: count me in.

I did think that, but maybe they haven't fully finished the effects yet