The Desolation of Smaug SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

Well, I can edit mine and BB's posts if you want me to. Are there really JWFanners seeing this movies that haven't read the book? I honestly don't know.

A classic movie love triangle is the female character caught between her desire for two different men.

A love triangle doesn't have to be that way though. A love triangle can also be A loves B, but B loves C, but C loves A.

This film seems to be both Legolas and Kili have the hots for Tauriel, but she is too busy worrying about the evil encroaching on the world to be much bothered by them.

Well, I can edit mine and BB's posts if you want me to. Are there really JWFanners seeing this movies that haven't read the book? I honestly don't know.

A classic movie love triangle is the female character caught between her desire for two different men.

A love triangle doesn't have to be that way though. A love triangle can also be A loves B, but B loves C, but C loves A.

This film seems to be both Legolas and Kili have the hots for Tauriel, but she is too busy worrying about the evil encroaching on the world to be much bothered by them.

Ah the youthful 600 year old elven naïvete.

Well I got my head bitten of last year when i gave spoilers about the outcome of the book....by you among others IIRC.

Its probably better to be careful.

It is an interesting issue though, PJ might decide to have the outcome of the Battle Of Five Armies be different.

It is an interesting issue though, PJ might decide to have the outcome of the Battle Of Five Armies be different.

Haven't you heard? It's going to be the Battle Of Three And One Half Armies.

Haven't you heard? It's going to be the Battle Of Three And One Half Armies.

Nah, it's Jackson. If there's a change there will be MORE armies.

Actually I remember now there are some new members who haven't read The Hobbit yet.

Like who? I know SUH is one but he's hardly a newcomer.

I think Jason meant "new member" relative to everyone else. SUH joined this year.

So I saw the film again yesterday, this time in regular 2D. I went mostly to try to figure out the chronological order of the music, but also to watch the film while being a bit more awake as I was quite tired the first time. I will say I liked the film a little more, but I still think it's an overall mess, switching from great scenes to TERRIBLE scenes on a whim (and quite often).

But anyway, I just wanted to mention my BIGGEST problems with the film.

1. Bard - and apparently everyone in Lake-town - already knowing about the missing scale on Smaug. SUCH a dumb idea. In the book, Bilbo is a hero because he gets Smaug to show him his belly, and he sees the scale, and he gets word down to Lake-town and that is why Bard is able to kill him. In the film, they already all know, so the only thing Bilbo accomplishes by talking to Smaug at all is letting slip "Barrel-rider", which makes Smaug link Thorin to Lake-town and decide to go attack it. Way to go, Bilbo. (I know this happened in the book too, but at least he found out the weakness at the same time...)

2. Smaug being aware of what's going on in the outside world. He apparently knows all about The Necromancer, for some reason.... and apparently knows all about Thorin and his quest. And he even knows that Thorin goes by "Oakenshield" now? Why in the world would Smaug know all this stuff (or care?).

3. The entire Necromancer / Dol Guldur subplot. It just makes no sense. In the book, Bolg attacks Erebor after Smaug is dead for his own reasons (revenge for his father and The Great Goblin, and for the treasure). But in the films, Bolg and Azog work for Sauron. But WHY in the WORLD would Sauron care about Erebor? Surely, if he could get Smaug on his side that would be one thing. But we know he doesn't send the armies out until Smaug is dead. Sauron doesn't desire treasure or anything, and Erebor is not a strategic spot for anything. So why does Sauron care about it? What exactly is he building his army for? Is they are supposed to be mustering to attack Rivendell or Lothlorien or something, that isn't made clear in the film. None of the Dol Guldur subplot is made clear.

4. The Nine and Azog being "resurrected". 2 films in and I still have no idea why PJ did this. It seems like it could ONLY be because Tolkien named him "The Necromancer" is the book. The movies truly would have been exactly the same if Azog had died in Moria and now Bolg was chasing them out of revenge, and if The Nine had never been buried alive and then resurrected and set free, but instead were just the ghosts being called to Dol Guldur like Tolkien wrote. It's all really silly.

5. Gandalf already figures out Sauron is alive at the High Fells, and then goes into Dol Guldur by himself anyway, even telling Radagast to leave and that he KNOWS its a trap. What was he planning on doing, taking on Sauron himself? And then of course he gets captured by Sauron (even though Sauron would most likely just kill him, which you couldn't do in the films), and it seems like a retread of FOTR all over again (Gandalf stuck up high watching the enemy muster below). Him going in by himself and getting captured just feels like padding. Once he knows Sauron is resurrected, why wouldn't he call the White Council right away?

I think that's it. It's these basic, core plot points that just don't seem to be thought out well and hurt everything. Sauron is supposed to be working in secret and never really revealing himself to the world until he has taken back over Moria many years later. It's kinda silly he's mustering this giant army now and that Gandalf is well aware, and then will be kind of surprised again in FOTR when Sauron is up to it again. I dunno.

I am assuming there is a reason the movie even made a point to show Bilbo the missing scale, though I dont know how he'd even get that info to Bard in time in a world with no talking birds

1: Dragons have magical powers, for instance, some Dragons (Glaurung) can practically brainwash you, it could be he sees things with his mind Palantirically ( ;) )

2: Morgoth liked to capture and torture prisoners, for example Hurin, and that elf friend of Turin, perhaps like Master like Servant?

3: Sauron will not risk the peoples of Middle-earth uniting under one banner.

4. The Nine and Azog being "resurrected". 2 films in and I still have no idea why PJ did this. It seems like it could ONLY be because Tolkien named him "The Necromancer" is the book. The movies truly would have been exactly the same if Azog had died in Moria and now Bolg was chasing them out of revenge, and if The Nine had never been buried alive and then resurrected and set free, but instead were just the ghosts being called to Dol Guldur like Tolkien wrote. It's all really silly.

5. Gandalf already figures out Sauron is alive at the High Fells, and then goes into Dol Guldur by himself anyway, even telling Radagast to leave and that he KNOWS its a trap. What was he planning on doing, taking on Sauron himself? And then of course he gets captured by Sauron (even though Sauron would most likely just kill him, which you couldn't do in the films), and it seems like a retread of FOTR all over again (Gandalf stuck up high watching the enemy muster below). Him going in by himself and getting captured just feels like padding. Once he knows Sauron is resurrected, why wouldn't he call the White Council right away?

I think that's it. It's these basic, core plot points that just don't seem to be thought out well and hurt everything. Sauron is supposed to be working in secret and never really revealing himself to the world until he has taken back over Moria many years later. It's kinda silly he's mustering this giant army now and that Gandalf is well aware, and then will be kind of surprised again in FOTR when Sauron is up to it again. I dunno.

I didn't pick up on the idea that the Nine weren't just ghosts/that they were resurrected. Did they actually say that? Since AUJ I just assumed they were somehow imprisoned/entombed as spirits, not literally buried after being "killed."

As for the second point, I thought it was clear that Gandalf knew exactly what would happen, and that the only thing that would convince the Council (Saruman) to act is if something happened to him. Like what he said about "forcing Sauron's hand." He knew Sauron would have to reveal himself if he entered, and then the Council would know what was up.

But WHY in the WORLD would Sauron care about Erebor? Surely, if he could get Smaug on his side that would be one thing. But we know he doesn't send the armies out until Smaug is dead. Sauron doesn't desire treasure or anything, and Erebor is not a strategic spot for anything. So why does Sauron care about it? What exactly is he building his army for? Is they are supposed to be mustering to attack Rivendell or Lothlorien or something, that isn't made clear in the film. None of the Dol Guldur subplot is made clear.

It's been apparently mentioned in Unfinished Tales that Gandalf thinks that Sauron might want to use Smaug for his own purpose and that's why he supports Thorin's quest. So I guess they took this part from that.

Karol

But WHY in the WORLD would Sauron care about Erebor? Surely, if he could get Smaug on his side that would be one thing. But we know he doesn't send the armies out until Smaug is dead. Sauron doesn't desire treasure or anything, and Erebor is not a strategic spot for anything. So why does Sauron care about it? What exactly is he building his army for? Is they are supposed to be mustering to attack Rivendell or Lothlorien or something, that isn't made clear in the film. None of the Dol Guldur subplot is made clear.

It's been apparently mentioned in Unfinished Tales that Gandalf thinks that Sauron might want to use Smaug for his own purpose and that's why he supports Thorin's quest. So I guess they took this part from that.

Karol

Uhhhh, what? Of course Gandalf is worried about Sauron getting Smaug on his side - I not only mentioned that in my post, but it was also mentioned explicity in both AUJ and DOS. That wasn't my point. My point was: WHY would Sauron send Azog and Bolg to Erebor with LEGIONS of orcs AFTER Smaug is dead? Why does Sauron care?

As for the second point, I thought it was clear that Gandalf knew exactly what would happen, and that the only thing that would convince the Council (Saruman) to act is if something happened to him. Like what he said about "forcing Sauron's hand." He knew Sauron would have to reveal himself if he entered, and then the Council would know what was up.

So you think Gandalf let himself be captured by Sauron so that the White Council would come to his aid? How did he know Sauron wouldn't kill him? I know, he's a maiar, and will be sent back, etc, but could Gandalf 100% count on that?

Karol

Uhhhh, what? Of course Gandalf is worried about Sauron getting Smaug on his side - I not only mentioned that in my post, but it was also mentioned explicity in both AUJ and DOS. That wasn't my point. My point was: WHY would Sauron send Azog and Bolg to Erebor with LEGIONS of orcs AFTER Smaug is dead? Why does Sauron care?

Maybe he doesn't know about that yet?

Karol

well he is sending the army right now it seems

not Saurons fault Smaug gets himself killed before his army arrives

but I would like to see what the 3rd movie will say about it

Why does Sauron care?

"We have long paid the orcs of Moria, now we must put our thoughts toward the Necromancer!" ~ Thorin Oakenshield ;)

Ok, so let's pretend Sauron doesn't find out that Smaug is dead. So Sauron's plan is to send LEGIONS of orcs to Erebor just to kill 13 dwarves and a Hobbit? Or was he expecting his orcs would be able to capture Smaug and bring him to him or something?

In LOTR, Sauron wants to take over the world, and carefully plans his battles to attack men at the strategically right points. Tolkien never wrote anywhere that Sauron cared about Erebor or Lake-town, only that Gandalf was concerned Sauron might want to get the dragon on his side.

Ok, so let's pretend Sauron doesn't find out that Smaug is dead. So Sauron's plan is to send LEGIONS of orcs to Erebor just to kill 13 dwarves and a Hobbit? Or was he expecting his orcs would be able to capture Smaug and bring him to him or something?

In LOTR, Sauron wants to take over the world, and carefully plans his battles to attack men at the strategically right points. Tolkien never wrote anywhere that Sauron cared about Erebor or Lake-town, only that Gandalf was concerned Sauron might want to get the dragon on his side.

If Tolkien hinted at something, Peter Jackson will give you that 10 times!

Karol

Because he obviously doesn't want Erebor to become a stronghold again, drawing the scattered dwarves back to their home. And he doesn't want a dwarven king that can unite all dwarves against him, let alone a rebirth of Dale and Laketown.

A newborn Erebor also means, very practical, gigantic means to build and equip armies.

Plus, this is his first try to cover all of Middle-Earth in a second darkness before LotR, so ruling Middle-Earth includes Erebor anyway.

So you think Gandalf let himself be captured by Sauron so that the White Council would come to his aid? How did he know Sauron wouldn't kill him? I know, he's a maiar, and will be sent back, etc, but could Gandalf 100% count on that?

He didn't know what Sauron would do to him. The point was just to force his hand, whatever the cost.

Also I don't think it's ever stated that Gandalf is aware he has a "respawn" opportunity. He knows that physical death could come for him at any point. This is no different.

Because he obviously doesn't want Erebor to become a stronghold again, drawing the scattered dwarves back to their home. And he doesn't want a dwarven king that can unite all dwarves against him, let alone a rebirth of Dale and Laketown.

A newborn Erebor also means, very practical, gigantic means to build and equip armies.

Plus, this is his first try to cover all of Middle-Earth in a second darkness before LotR, so ruling Middle-Earth includes Erebor anyway.

Hmm OK, that's some good points.

So is it as bad as Luke's plan for rescuing Han Solo in ROTJ? ;)

Also:

In The Children of Hurin the dragon Glaurung speaks to Turin by name at first meeting and knows all about his past.

I have to say I thought Azog looked really, really good in this, a lot better than AUJ.

And as for Dol Guldur sequences resembling 2001-era video game graphics - really? Because again, I just don't see it. Maybe it's because I saw it in 2D.

I imagine they'll put the entire Thrain arc in the EE, flashbacks and Dol Guldur. The Gandalf storyline really needs fleshing out. This and a longer High Fells sequence (I'm pretty sure the soundtrack suggests this was a fair bit longer, and the scene desperately needs some kind of pay-off) should help, along with something at Beorn's house (perhaps Beorn's flashback will tie in to this, given it surely involves Bolg/Azog and Dol Guldur). Also, there was that pic from the calendar of Gandalf and Beorn together with a forest behind them.

Martin Freeman confirmed to Empire that a true Beorn introduction mirroring the books was filmed. It plays out just as I suspected. In the morning, when Bilbo wakes, he actually goes out tentatively with Gandalf to find Beorn chopping wood (really hope we get the 'Never heard of him' line here). Then Gandalf slowly talks about the Dwarves and more emerge from the house piecemeal, a sort of reverse of the book but no doubt in the same spirit. Really, really hope we get this in the EE, more Beorn and character sequences especially in the opening third would help the film no end.

Wait, were they putting Gandalf meeting Thrain in the "present time" of the film? Meaning he fights the Dwarf and then faces Sauron?

They have to. He can't have been to Dol Guldur before, it wouldn't make sense given Radagast's revelations are new to him. I'm guessing in the prologue they'll add in flashbacks showing what happened to Thrain before he disappeared and how Gandalf got the map and key. Then we'll see exactly what befell Thrain later on when Gandalf finds him.

I had wondered if they might have Thrain show Gandalf a way out of Dol Guldur in TABA, say if he's thrown into the dungeons.