Do you *really* think Shore's LOTR is as good as Williams' Star Wars OT?

Ricard

John Willams' Star Wars OT vs. Howard Shore's The Lord of the Rings  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which one's better?

• John Williams' Star Wars Original Trilogy (Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi)
    • Howard Shore's The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King)
    • They are both equally good

Try S.W.A.T. for a more testosterone-fueled action score.

I like that sort of sound and that's a good track but it's not as good as this one:

The best Robocop-esque 'on patrol' theme since, er, Robocop. And the David Arnoldness of it makes it one for Steefy, too.

Careful, you're going to make pub go off now ;)

It's a pity Goldenthal is no longer interested in film music, it's not like all his concert work is readily available to us!

Careful, you're going to make pub go off now ;)

It's a pity Goldenthal is no longer interested in film music, it's not like all his concert work is readily available to us!

I'm counting on it.

Yes, I would not at all mind a comprehensive release of his concert music. There's a string quartet, the Othello symphony, his recent symphony, some chamber music. Must have it!

If it makes Pub feel any better, I think his concert music is better than Shore's.

I agree with your comparison, both from the film music stance and concert music view. Shore's concert music tends to be more conservative anyway. Usually pleasant stuff, but largely neoclassical and restrained compared to the more bold, post-modern stuff we hear from Goldenthal, which I largely prefer.

And in case it wasn't obvious already, LotR wins for me with film music. Though I'd argue it has some Goldenthal-esque moments itself.

It's not only a stylistic thing though. I found his cello concerto to be almost shockingly meandering and flat. The snippets of what I assume is his piano concerto that you can hear in that "A Composer's Dream" video are in the same neo-classical mode, but sound much more engaging.

It's also $1 on SAE. Add the cost of international shipping and that might not be much cheaper, but still.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/4045/HEADHUNTER-REDEMPTION-HEADHUNTER-2-CD-SET/

What are you trying to prove with this pill Ricard?

Didn't you read it on page 1? The topic has been discussed insufficiently.

Obviously. Look at the recent additions to this thread. Groundbreaking stuff.

Polls don't prove anything, they're merely informative.

It's his board, he can use it to boost his ego whenever he feels like it.

If that was the case I wouldn't have unbanned you a couple of years ago.

What does this poll inform us about? That most John Williams fans prefer the Star Wars trilogy over the LOTR trilogy? I already knew that before you even made that poll! You could have just asked me!

ST:TMP is an excellent score, but is compromised by Fred Steiner's ghost-arranging, as good as it is. It doesn't as feel as unified as it should. Herrmann and Newman's THE EGYPTIAN is a perfect example of a collaboration score. It's split 50/50, and the overall result is seamless.

That's a legitimate point. But even if Capricorn One has a more cohesive sound, it lacks a certain *something* for me. Might be due to my preferences between the films.

ST:TMP is an excellent score, but is compromised by Fred Steiner's ghost-arranging, as good as it is. It doesn't as feel as unified as it should. Herrmann and Newman's THE EGYPTIAN is a perfect example of a collaboration score. It's split 50/50, and the overall result is seamless.

It's already less unified as the average Goldsmith score because several cues contains the early, more balletesque style Jerry eventually abandoned after Bob Wise wanted a stronger theme.

That's a legitimate point. But even if Capricorn One has a more cohesive sound, it lacks a certain *something* for me. Might be due to my preferences between the films.

True. I prefer Capricorn. And it's main theme is a bit of an overlooked force of nature, even if I can't remember anything outside of it.

As for Star Trek: TMP; too much Next Gen tea time at 6pm on BBC2 memories from 1998 in there. Not my cup of tea.

But the suspense material is terrific.

You prefer the stillborn ST:TMP? :blink:

Hey I like Robert Wise too, but here it's like he's trying to do Kubrick in 2001 mode and falling flat on his face.

CAPRICORN ONE's got pace, humour, tension, a sharp screenplay, Elliot Gould, Hal Holbrook and Telly.

What does this poll inform us about? That most John Williams fans prefer the Star Wars trilogy over the LOTR trilogy? I already knew that before you even made that poll! You could have just asked me!

This is HSfan.com, the revelation is earth- shattering.

Why are you guys (gkgyver, Who?, and a couple others) so annoyed at this poll? And why do you keep posting on this thread? Just curious...

I'm not annoyed at it, it just seems utterly pointless, beating a dead horse for the sake of trying to prove the point that more people here prefer SW. As if you gain something by proving that, or that it even needs to be proven. I think I've made my feelings on it quite clear at this point though, as has everyone else. That you remain curious about the reasons is baffling.

I continue posting here because more interesting discussions have started in the thread.

It's already less unified as the average Goldsmith score because several cues contains the early, more balletesque style Jerry eventually abandoned after Bob Wise wanted a stronger theme.

Which cues do you feel deviate from that style?

I'm not annoyed at it, it just seems utterly pointless, beating a dead horse for the sake of trying to prove the point that more people here prefer SW. As if you gain something by proving that, or that it even needs to be proven. I think I've made my feelings on it quite clear at this point though, as has everyone else. That you remain curious about the reasons is baffling.

I continue posting here because more interesting discussions have started in the thread.

That.

The very title of the poll suggests it's abnormal for someone to prefer LotR over SW, hence there is some insecurity that you're trying to validate, by demonstrating that the forum prefers SW.

I haven't even heard most of ESB or RotJ. I've never seen either movie, and what I have heard was not a musical style which appeals to me. LotR is my era.

This last post of yours indicates, once again, that you ARE annoyed -because you think the poll is "pointless" and that "I'm trying to prove" anything (which of course is not my intention at all).

The SW trilogy scores are NOT better than LOTR, or viceversa. How many people here (and who) THINK that one is better than the other, is what I'm trying to find out.

And it's exactly what I'm getting, plus a few interesting extras that have nothing to do with film scores...

The very title of the poll suggests it's abnormal for someone to prefer LotR over SW, hence there is some insecurity that you're trying to validate, by demonstrating that the forum prefers SW.

Only in the head of a few LOTR fans.

This last post of yours indicates, once again, that you ARE annoyed -because you think the poll is "pointless" and that "I'm trying to prove" anything (which of course is not my intention at all).

The SW trilogy scores are NOT better than LOTR, or viceversa. How many people here (and who) THINK that one is better than the other, is what I'm trying to find out.

And it's exactly what I'm getting, plus a few interesting extras that have nothing to do with film scores...

I do think the poll is pointless, and that you are trying to prove something - this does not annoy me.

What is beginning to annoy me is the slightly smug attitude that your posts exude.

I do think the poll is pointless, and that you are trying to prove something - this does not annoy me.

What is beginning to annoy me is the slightly smug attitude that your posts exude.

This.

Personally, I find LotR superior (even though I voted they are equal), and if just for the far superior choral work.

this does not annoy me.

I really think it does (you and gkgyver).

You may be right! But try to find that same attitude in your own posts. You'll be surprised :)

I think perhaps you aren't familiar enough with the way I type to realize that any smugness you detect is imagined. Sarcasm, on the other hand, abounds.

And I'm sorry that you feel it annoys me. But, as the only one between us who knows what goes on in my own mind, I can assure you it does not.

the far superior choral work.

There's much more of it in the LOTR scores, but Williams's treatment of the male chorus in ROTJ alone is far more sophisticated and nuanced than Shore's endless block chords, mediant relations and clusters.