What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's right BB, apparently finding some of Nolan's handling of the idea of love cheesy and at times on the preachy side, makes us stale, emotionless and incapable of having feelings for others. We must be despicable people...

Where was that attitude when you were in the theater, huh?

I save that attitude for truly emotional films like Attack of the Clones.

Yes, well if BB could feel, there'd be none of us here, would there?

I thought you would know the difference between feeling and.... crying hehheheheheh.

Have you guys who complain about "love is the key to everything" solutions in movies ever been in love? Like, real, deep love?

I feel like being a parent would make it even more meaningful. I mean, that's how the whole film started. Before any of the actual science and space stuff got incorporated, it began with tackling the relationship a father has with his children.

Have you guys who complain about "love is the key to everything" solutions in movies ever been in love? Like, real, deep love?

I feel like being a parent would make it even more meaningful.

As would a love for the pipe organ, space, and being a fan of Chris Nolan in general.

THE TERMINAL (2004)

Most people regard this as a Spielberg fluff film. If you take out the Diego Luna/Zoe Saldana love story, which is totally ridiculous and underdeveloped, then this film is brilliant, in my opinion. There's plenty of great humor (Tom Hanks' mispronounciation of words in a thick European accent) and I think the drama between Viktor and Amelia is romantic and incredibly realistic. The best aspect of the film is the main character NOT getting the girl, especially with two A-list actors in these roles. It worked well, and isn't something you'd expect to find in a feel-good Spielberg film. I also think the film says a lot about US immigration policy and how we treat people from other countries, which makes it relevant today, more than when it was produced (2-3 years after 9/11). Furthermore, there is the great cinematography by Kaminski and a terrific score by John Williams.

Only liked it when I was sick with fever.

I remember thinking this was the movie where I thought it could be one of Williams last scores

It wasn't an unreasonable fear to be fair, especially considering the recent deaths of Elmer Bernstein and Jerry Goldsmith around that time.

We haven't seen any new films recently. I need a fix. Probably go see Exodus next weekend.

Well Joe is a religionists. Maybe God told him to watch it!

I mean as thumbs up go, that would be pretty big, right?

I'm sure it's not much different than Prometheus. Heck, it's from the same factory. You can watch it, but it's not good.

Have you seen it? Just curious.

Of course not. I no longer have to see a Ridley Scott movie to know its outcome.

Very valid point. You just really sounded like you watched it!

Do you plan on checking it out?

Nightcrawler

Nice, tight, simple film. Real highlight is Gyllenhall. Captivating performance, if a bit disturbing. Good stuff.

What did you think of JNH's score?

It was interesting actually! Effective stuff, and I liked bits of it. But it was kind of all over the place. Wish there was more of a unified sound to it. Sometimes we got some funky percussion, other times screeching guitars, and then normal conservative string ostinati, like what you'd in a normal drama. It's like the score didn't know what it wanted to be.

But other than that, not too shabby.

Heck, I even don't know if Scott is still shooting on film or if he went digital like most other directors. I guess Woody Allen, Nolan and Snyder are the last of their kind.

Ridley says the final cut of Exodus is 4 hours long, it has all the character depth that is missing in the thetatrical cut, and that it would make a fine Blu-ray release.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Alex