The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

James Gunn on the final chaper of Guardians Of The Galaxy:

"It's a heavier story, so it's an emotional process to go through."

Yes!

I think you’re reading too much into it.  The tone won’t be significantly different - just like the story of GOTG2 is “heavier” than the first,  but it was still a dumb joke machine.  This will still be a Guardians movie.

30 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Let's hope it's more Vol. 1 than Vol. 2.

Amen.

5 hours ago, AC1 said:

I guess you guys wanted 3000 jokes instead of the mere 2000 of the previous movie, right? I should've known!

Oh I thought it meant a heavier story in a more literal sense. As in collapsing under its own weight. ;)

Karol

It’ll be interesting to see where she turns up next.  

Spoiler

Out of all announced projects, the Hawkeye D+ series seems like the best fit, given the post-credits scene, but who knows where Julia Louis Dreyfuss’s goon squad will show up…

The whole Kevin Feige livetweet on Black Widow was an interesting enough read.

Pugh was confirmed as being a cast member of Hawkeye long before Black Widow came out

I don’t care enough about the MCU to follow the trades on it - but sounds like a good plan!  Maybe she’ll off Renner for good and give the position permanently to the hopefully-more-interesting protege.

• 2 weeks later...

Scarlett Johannsson is suing Disney because her contracted cut/bonuses for Black Widow were tied to theatrical box office, which conveniently excludes Disney+ Premier Access revenue

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/scarlett-johansson-sues-disney-black-widow-1235030582/

Definitely right to fight for that money that she deserves, but I'm surprised this is something that made the news instead of something they resolved behind the scenes.  Or maybe I shouldn't be surprised, it's Disney.

There are a lot of actors who stand to benefit from this if it’s successful, those whose name allows them to negotiate points.  Thinking Emma Stone from Cruella on D+.  And outside of Disney+, all those people whose movies went direct to digital or co-premiered on HBO max over the last year.

I imagine will get settled privately before it goes to trial. Disney knows they will eventually have to pay her something, the lawsuit at the moment is just a public way to nudge them. Though clearly this is something that's going to have to be dealt with in contracts with big name talent going forward.

If Disney agrees to give Johansson a piece of the streaming cake, then everyone is going want that, so Disney is going to fight this to the death. She got paid $20 million for Black Widow. What could happen is that in the future (that is, if there is still a future in a Disney controlled Hollywood for Johansson) Disney will only pay her $10 million (hey, cinema isn't what it used to be!) and a $10 million cut of streaming money. Or do people believe that from now on everyone creative in Hollywood will see their salary doubled?

8 hours ago, AC1 said:

If Disney agrees to give Johansson a piece of the streaming cake, then everyone is going want that, so Disney is going to fight this to the death. She got paid $20 million for Black Widow. What could happen is that in the future (that is, if there is still a future in a Disney controlled Hollywood for Johansson) Disney will only pay her $10 million (hey, cinema isn't what it used to be!) and a $10 million cut of streaming money. Or do people believe that from now on everyone creative in Hollywood will see their salary doubled?

Hmmmmm. I've read the suit, and I don't believe that's what's happening here. Johansson isn't looking for a "piece of the streaming cake" per se, what she's looking for is a payout more or less equivalent to what she would have received had the film gotten a 90-day exclusive theatrical release window, which is what was contemplated in her 2017 contract to make the film.

If Disney settles this out of court, won't others demand the same? That's why I think Disney won't budge. And they got Disney lawyers! Probably a whole building of them!

Sure they will, and I'm sure every big name star with in a similarly situated film is on the phone with their agent right now. But there's a difference between a studio negotiating individually with its talent and setting a legal precedent, which is what a court judgement against Disney would create. Disney has a choice, either deal with this themselves via negotiation (as Warner did with WW84) and not alienate their big talent,  or roll the dice and let a judge and jury decide how much they have to pay.

In any event, whatever the legal merits or her case and chances of success, IMO it's also just a matter of basic fairness. Disney put that movie on Disney+ to test a new model and get subscribers. They were apparently willing to sacrifice a significant part of Black Widow's box office as a test case, at ScarJo's expense.  Disney gets what they want, and she gets screwed.

Disney's reply:

“There is no merit whatsoever to this filing. The lawsuit is especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Disney has fully complied with Ms. Johansson’s contract and furthermore, the release of Black Widow on Disney+ with Premier Access has significantly enhanced her ability to earn additional compensation on top of the $20M she has received to date.”

https://deadline.com/2021/07/scarlett-johansson-walt-disney-co-black-widow-lawsuit-1234802440/

12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

lol, Scarlett will never work for anything Marvel or Disney ever again:

Who knows, maybe Netflix will pick her up for A Marriage Story 2.  On the other hand, maybe they too don't wanna risk being sued.

That leaves her with only one option: A24.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2021 at 7:11 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

First snippet of Joel P West's score!!

I had this thought while watching The Suicide Squad: nothing bores me more in movies these days than action sequences. I think the last one that held my interest was the bathroom fight in Mission Impossible: Fallout and it wasn't full of bells and whistles and CGI stunt doubles

1 hour ago, Romão said:

I had this thought while watching The Suicide Squad: nothing bores me more in movies these days than action sequences. 

Then there's really no point watching these movies because action scenes are the only thing they are good at. 

33 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Then there's really no point watching these movies because action scenes are the only thing they are good at. 

What's your problem with people in boots saying snarky one liners to each other?

On 7/28/2021 at 12:03 PM, Edmilson said:

This teaser is pretty cool:

OK so, this doesn't look too bad here....

On 8/16/2021 at 2:11 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

First snippet of Joel P West's score!!

But then, this.... meh, looks like one of those shoved-in action scenes that just has to happen because it's been a while since the last one, but isn't actually interesting to watch, and it so silly with its setup (all the scaffolding), just in an attempt to make it seem more visually interesting....

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Another Shang-Chi clip:

The martial arts scenes seem well directed and well choreographed enough.

ANd then this, man Awkwafina is probably going to ruin this thing for me.  She plays every scene in every movie (other than The Farewell) exactly the same...

On 8/20/2021 at 5:29 PM, Nick1Ø66 said:

What's your problem with people in boots saying snarky one liners to each other?

In the case of Black Widow, the remarks these superheroes are throwing at each other can be really embarrassing (poorly written lines).

Anyway, it seems that Marvel is looking for a out-of-court settlement with Scarlett, so it seems you were right. Goddamnit!

On Black Widow's dialogue ... I get that the Widows 'programme' is pretty brutal and all, but I thought that - 

Spoiler

- the stuff about how their reproductive systems are forcibly removed was a bit much. 

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, to me it was the sort of thing you'd expect in a much darker, non-12A/PG-13 movie.