The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

Someone at Disney has edited out violence and blood in the currently streaming versions of Falcon and the Winter Soldier episodes

Spoiler

Falcon Winter Soldier Violence Censor Pipe Disney

Falcon Winter Soldier Violence Censor Disney

https://thedirect.com/article/disney-falcon-winter-soldier-censored-photos

Looks like they are already reverting back to the originals

https://ew.com/tv/disney-plus-restoring-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-alternate-cut/

I'd guess since they now have parental controls in the app, they're creating alternate cuts for different levels based on profile?

Moon Knight 1x01 The Goldfish Problem

Well that was pretty fun!  Oscar Isaac makes a compelling main character in a mystery/sci-fi/fantasy show, especially when he gets to play multiple characters! I liked the accent work and all the little quirks his character has, especially in his interactions with others.  I'm definitely on board to see what happens next!

I liked it too. His accent is very weird but other than that it was the best opener of a Marvel show so far. I am not really familiar with the character so this intrigues me. Felt different enough. The music was bit cheesy, but fun.

Karol

I wonder which is his "original" personality.  Like the slightly dodgy accent will make sense if it's one he's sort of meant to be putting on as an American with a British alternate persona.

Anyway, I enjoyed episode 1.  I'm not engaging with any of the coverage around the show because they invariably give too much away about the world and where the show might go based on the comics.  I'm going to enjoy being surprised by a property I know literally 0 about.

I really enjoyed the episode, and am also enjoying how cold I went into this one.  Like Stu, I haven’t been watching any of the numerous promos and clips that have been floating around.  Additionally, this is the one of the first MCU properties in which I really don’t know a single thing about the hero (I also didn’t know anything about the Eternals and enjoyed that in the same fashion).  I’m interested to see how this all plays out.  Without any knowledge of the comics, I’m assuming the (whatever number they said) Egyptian gods are another faction of gods in the MCU like the Asgardians and the Eternals.

After the season is over I'll probably circle back to the outlets I like and watch their recaps/easter egg/whatever videos.  I did the same thing with Hawkeye which I didn't watch until February/March and it was kinda fun to see what speculations they were obsessing over when I already knew where it had gone.

Like Stu and Troxie I know nothing about this character at all - I'd never even heard of him before the show was announced

I'm just gonna watch and yea, have no intention of following easter egg discussion or trying to figure out mysteries before the show reveals them and stuff

I have seen a lot of TV shows though, so already assume we've got a Mr. Robot scenario here, where the Steven the museum worker personality is absolutely not his "base" or "original" one, it's just the one we the viewers are following (for now).

I actually thought it'd be pretty neat if episode 2 "rewinds" and we see the events of the first episode (and before and beyond) from one of his other personalities.  But somehow I doubt that's what's gonna happen

One thing I really liked about the show was that it didn't really feel like I was watching a superhero show, it felt more like a fun mystery show with supernatural elements in play.  It helped that the main character didn't have a costume until the final seconds I suppose.

I agree. First time in a long while, the first moon knight episode looked like at last MCU is taking one of its characters serious again as a human being, not just a cartoon of a person. But let's see.

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

So is Moon Knight the first step in creating a corner of the MCU just for the darker more violent supernatural characters like Blade?

Yes, it is. They are setting up a horror like corner of the MCU.

Just like you have Avengers, Magic, Space etc.

I think it will be very cool to have more darker MCU material.

Charlie Cox and Vincent D'onofrio cast in Echo, the new MCU show coming out next year starring Alaqua Cox as Maya Lopez, the leader of the tracksuit mafia from Hawkeye

https://thecinegeek.com/2022/04/05/exclusive-donofrio-cox-confirmed-director/

If you'll allow me to get real pedantic.

"Maya Lopez, the leader of the tracksuit mafia from Hawkeye, is getting her own show coming out next year called "Echo" that will also have Daredevil and Kingpin in it"

reads like the show is newly announced

"Daredevil and Kingpin will be in Echo, the upcoming show about Maya Lopez, leader of the tracksuit mafia from Hawkeye"

or something like that communicates what the new news is

:rolleyes: Echo might have been announced in the past, but it was never brought up on JWFan before, so I introduced the news that way as a result.

Regardless, I've changed the wording in my post anyway

Moon Knight 1x02 Summon the Suit

Well that was pretty good I guess.  Very exposition-heavy after the action-heavy first episode, which was expected.  I started to almost tune out when so much exposition was being dumped by Hawke to Isaac at dinner, but the big action scene at the end was pretty fun.  It was pretty cool that the jackals are invisible, as tat led to a uniquely filmed action scene.  I was glad at the end we finally got to see things from Mark's point of view instead of only Steven's.  It's looking like this will turn out to be a strong B of a show

One thing I like about this show is that it's completely independent (so far) from the whole MCU shenanigans.

With Wanda, Winter Soldier, Loki, and Hawkeye, you had to go in more or less already knowing what the main characters were all about from their movies, but those shows also made tons of references to MCU events and characters throughout them too.

Here not only is the main character brand new, but there haven't been any references to any MCU stuff yet that I've picked up on.  It's nice!

I do like that, just for the sake of variety.  I definitely wouldn't want all their shows/movies to be so standalone (although I'm sure this will connect more by the end).  It would be nice to have some shows that are more ingrained in the shared universe along with ones that aren't.  Following the threads across a patchwork of stories is part of the fun!

Apparently there was a logo in the background somewhere of that group/program/law that was moving people or whatever in TFatWS.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I do like that, just for the sake of variety.  I definitely wouldn't want all their shows/movies to be so standalone (although I'm sure this will connect more by the end).  It would be nice to have some shows that are more ingrained in the shared universe along with ones that aren't.  Following the threads across a patchwork of stories is part of the fun!

I agree 100% - part of the fun of the MCU is how everything is connected, and generally how well those connections are made

It's just nice in this case to not be hit over the head with all that stuff, and also that its rolling out a brand new hero, not just giving more background to movie characters

The interconnectivity between all this Marvel content is one of the main reasons why have completely given up on anything Marvel

1 minute ago, Romão said:

The interconnectivity between all this Marvel content is one of the main reasons why have completely given up on anything Marvel

It's such a key part of the appeal that if you don't like that aspect, then it's just not made for you and you shouldn't try to get into it at all

1 minute ago, Romão said:

Why who has?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

It's such a key part of the appeal that if you don't like that aspect, then it's just not made for you and you shouldn't try to get into it at all

I liked it up until Endgame. Then a mixture of the TV shows I refuse to make time for, superhero fatigue and Black Widow being mediocre made me lose interest.

I dunno, I personally think it's possible to not watch every show and still being able to enjoy any particular one.  The first MCU movie I ever saw was Winter Soldier, which I liked a lot even though that movie is steeped in the context of the larger MCU at that time.  And then because I liked it, I went back and watched some of the movies I'd missed (but not all of them at once).

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Yes, that's my takeaway as well. I've really stopped trying. I might check any stand alone movie if it does come in the future. Into the Spiderverse was fantastic

Moon Knight 1x03 The Friendly Type

Yea, we're really heading into solid B and not any better territory for sure.  I enjoy the show, it's enjoyable, good action scenes, good unfolding mystery, but there's no great elements here at all, it's all "just" good.  Which is still better than a ton of shows being made these days, but 3 episodes into Hawkeye, Winter Soldier, Loki, and Wanda, I liked them more than this.  I have no complaints, but nothing to write home about either.  >shrug<

The single most important thing of any MCU movie/show is the main character and I'm still very much enjoying how the character is written and Oscar Isaac's performance.  The show around him is yeah, just pretty solid.  I am enjoying the world-building, although all the stuff with the gods and their avatars I felt like could have been introduced with more style.

I wonder when we'll find out more about the mysterious 3rd personality introduced in this episode.  The one who's clearly more violent and vicious than even Marc.  Poor Steven.

Oscar Isaac is great!  I loved that one shot where he had to transition from Marc to Steven in an unbroken take

That sure looks like it covers a lot of ground!

The joke at the end made me crack up