The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

I bought the Looney Tunes DVD set because it contained more episodes and features than higher priced Blu-ray discs. And anyone expecting eighty year old cartoons to look markedly better has the eyes of God.

There is absolutely no reason to still buy DVDs.

Yes there is.

Recently I bought Boston Legal and the final season of The Practice on DVD because I'm not waiting around forever for some old legal drama to make it to blu-ray. Especially from a studio like Fox that won't even make any more Simpsons blu-ray sets.

I also bought the Buffy DVD boxset earlier this year because I fear that even if they do eventually release it on blu-ray, it'll be the shitty HD remasters they did for broadcast where they fucked up the framing in their conversion to 16:9, and the colour timing and brightness in many episodes is just off.

Best to hunt down older masters if you know the new one they're spruiking sucks. You can't be married to one format if you want the best presentation.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is only available on DVD

Raiders of the Lost Ark on DVD doesn't have that awful tint

The Star Trek: The Motion Picture Director's Edition and the other director's cuts are only on DVD

Attack of the Clones DVD has the theatrical version without those terrible edits (wait, what?)

DVD is still relevant and necessary.

Wait what theatrical version on DVD? The first print DVD version I have has the extended confession scene with Padme's "to be angry is to be human" line and when the clonetrooper finds her lying in the sand, she says "uh huh" instead of that awkward "yes".

Yep, the Blu-ray has an awful teal tint. Why do they keep doing that to films??

The Phantom Menace has some atrocious DNR and a crummy CGI Yoda, but I suppose it's still preferable to the DVD. Revenge of the Sith turned out perfect. They didn't fuck with any of the colors or make edits to the film. If you have the Blu-ray, you have it at its native resolution!

Wait, they're still making these things? How many times does Iron man have to punch Thor man before people get tired of this?

You're right! Well, the DVD is closer to the theatrical version.

They edited the fight between Yoda and Dooku.

That edit is fucking terrible

Well, the Ant-Man DVD has absolutely no special features. What's next, Disney? Cutting parts out of the film on the DVD version to co-erce us into buying the blu-ray version?

There is absolutely no reason to still buy DVDs. Upgrade.

Is there a portable blu-ray player yet? I have not seen any so until then, DVDs still have a purpose, despite what Disney thinks.

I have a blu-ray player, by the way.

Well, the Ant-Man DVD has absolutely no special features. What's next, Disney? Cutting parts out of the film on the DVD version to co-erce us into buying the blu-ray version?

Is there a portable blu-ray player yet? I have not seen any so until then, DVDs still have a purpose, despite what Disney thinks.

Digital copies. Now every phone and tablet is a portable player.

Yes, but you can't play blu-rays on your tabel or phone, can you? :P

Yes, but you can't play blu-rays on your tabel or phone, can you? :P

Don't 99% of blu-rays come with DVDs and digital copies these days? Digital copies are better than DVD quality.

I think my original point has been overlooked here. I was saying that the DVD version has no special features whatsoever and it is clear this is on purpose to make you buy the Blu-Ray version if you want special features.

Screenwriters Explain Why Hulk and Thor Aren't In Civil War

Basically because they are too powerful. Makes total sense to have them off on other adventures while this earthling battle is going on, and have them come back to fight Thanos.

Yes, all the studios have been doing that for years now. Why is this surprising to you?

It surprises me because DVD is not a dead format like VHS was when DVD was introduced.

Apples and oranges. VHS have a lot more moving parts than optical discs. The physical contact with the tape is also inherently destructive over time. DVD should never die so long as Blu-ray is still available. They're fundamentally the same technology and build process. Different laser size is it. People who don't want to upgrade shouldn't have to.

Wait what theatrical version on DVD? The first print DVD version I have has the extended confession scene with Padme's "to be angry is to be human" line and when the clonetrooper finds her lying in the sand, she says "uh huh" instead of that awkward "yes".

That was shown in theaters, but only in the digital screenings. The 35mm print had a shorter confession scene, an alternate reply from Padme and an alternate shot of Anakin's metal arm during the wedding scene.

I remember seeing those changes when I saw the digital projection version of AOTC when it came out (which was like a month or two after the normal release)

Official synopsis for Civil War

Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War finds Steve Rogers leading the newly formed team of Avengers in their continued efforts to safeguard humanity. But after another incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability, headed by a governing body to oversee and direct the team. The new status quo fractures the Avengers, resulting in two camps—one led by Steve Rogers and his desire for the Avengers to remain free to defend humanity without government interference, and the other following Tony Stark’s surprising decision to support government oversight and accountability.

Official synopsis for Civil War

Marvels Captain America: Civil War finds Steve Rogers leading the newly formed team of Avengers in their continued efforts to safeguard humanity. But after another incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability, headed by a governing body to oversee and direct the team. The new status quo fractures the Avengers, resulting in two campsone led by Steve Rogers and his desire for the Avengers to remain free to defend humanity without government interference, and the other following Tony Starks surprising decision to support government oversight and accountability.

Sounds dull!