Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

We need CR's for that extra Azog music at the Five Armies from the clip. I really like that opening statement of his theme at the start of it.

Who knows what (nasty) surprises await us upon watching!

Considering there is about 90 minutes of score on the Special Edition I bet there is a good chunck still unreleased as these films are usually wall-to-wall scored.

Well if we figure we're missing at least 30 minutes of music (and there will surely be alternates), with 30 minutes of EE footage to come, the CR's should bring a substantial amount of new stuff.

Azog's Theme was always jsut Descending Thirds anyway!

Although it rarely appears in the form it had in AUJ with that particular ending "barb".

The bad guy music is much more a collection of heavy, plodding, percussive and growling motifs and fragments of themes without a throughline of central theme that Shore would pit against say Thorin's theme. Azog's theme is definitely in there though.

Do we think that new evil theme is a Gundabad motif?

Well that is a good guess. :)

Well, here is a rough mockup of the film version of the Rivendell theme in action mode:

The percussion is not entirely accurate, but it works for me.

Do we think that new evil theme is a Gundabad motif?

Well that is a good guess. :)

Is this the motif in "Bred For War"? Man I love that motif.

In fact, I love how motif-centric so many of these action pieces are. Like the troll motif, or the March bit in "Ruins of Dale" or the way "Battle for the Mountain" is built on that simple phrase.

In fact, I love how motif-centric so many of these action pieces are. Like the troll motif, or the March bit in "Ruins of Dale" or the way "Battle for the Mountain" is built on that simple phrase.

I really love that rythm underneath the Dain music in The Clouds Burst

And that dramatic motif in Gathering of the Clouds.

BTW was anyone almost expecting to hear The Heroics of Aragorn in that cue? ;)

You know, if I didn't know any better, I would almost think the Clarinet material in the beginning of Mithril was an intense variation of Gandalf's B theme.

So, how are you guys going to tag the Hobbit and LOTR scores so that you can have them listed one after the other on your mp3 player/computer?

I don't tag anything that way

So I guess they look like this on your iTunes (or MP3 player etc.) then?:

TH: AUJ

TH: BOTFA

TH: DOS

other scores

LOTR: FOTR

LOTR: ROTK

LOTR: TTT

Can someone give me a timestamp for the "troll motif" that you all mention? Is it the low tuba motif in Bred for War?

The bit that isn't mono in this video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9cVhrUGJDV0JzUDQ/view?usp=sharing

Can someone give me a timestamp for the "troll motif" that you all mention? Is it the low tuba motif in Bred for War?

Is this a collection from the soundtrack, or where does the first 30 second snippet come from?

Listened to the OST just once all the way, half asleep.

That motif is really badass. Actually, it proves to me that Howard Shore would be an ace choice for a Godzilla movie.

That's not the troll motif. I associate that with the army, or the Gundabad orcs, or whatever. Regardless, it's such a badass motif, especially when it's in full force in "Bred for War".

The trolls motif is the 3 note one in "The Darkest Hour", "Sons of Durin" and some other places. Also pretty neat.

other scores

Nope. Just Fellowship of the Ring, or An Unexpected Journey, or whatever.

other scores

Nope. Just Fellowship of the Ring, or An Unexpected Journey, or whatever.

I don't mean the actual titles just the order.

The trolls motif is the 3 note one in "The Darkest Hour", "Sons of Durin" and some other places. Also pretty neat.

The bright fanfare thingy?

Is this a collection from the soundtrack, or where does the first 30 second snippet come from?

Everything in stereo is from the soundtrack, the mono stuff is a motif from a Star Trek TOS score by Sol Kaplan.

As I posted in the other thread:

Ironfoot doesn't play during the end credits. Instead there's a suite which follows Boyd's song. It starts with Woodland Realm stuff but covers Dragon Sickness, Laketown, Bard, Shire, and more that I've forgotten. It's quite nice. There's other music missing on the OST also. There's a nice version of the Erebor music which is used as source music in the film near the very end.

The bright fanfare thingy?

No, that's part of the army motif.

The trolls plays about 34 seconds into "The Darkest Hour". Sounds kind of like "Under Hill"?

There are some Goblins (called Goblin Mercenaries) which show up at Ravenhill and they look very much like the Goblins from AUJ. so maybe that is from Underhill.

There are some Goblins (called Goblin Mercenaries) which show up at Ravenhill and they look very much like the Goblins from AUJ. so maybe that is from Underhill.

Cool!

Ironfoot doesn't play during the end credits. Instead there's a suite which follows Boyd's song. It starts with Woodland Realm stuff but covers Dragon Sickness, Laketown, Bard, Shire, and more that I've forgotten. It's quite nice. There's other music missing on the OST also. There's a nice version of the Erebor music which is used as source music in the film near the very end.

Huh, Erebor as source music?

Is the end credit suite original then, or edited?

Huh, Erebor as source music?

Is the end credit suite original then, or edited?

Yes, the men of Lake Town play it on giant trumpets in honour of Thorin after the battle.

The end credits sounded original to me but don't hold me on that.

The credits are the same style as RotK by the way.

I don't mean the actual titles just the order.

Yea, they just fall wherever they fall alphabetically among all of Howard's other scores.