Best Summer Blockbuster of 2014 Showdown!

crocodile

Best summer movie of 2014  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite summer movie of 2014

• Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    • The Amazing Spider-Man 2
    • Godzilla
    • X-Men: Days of Future Past
    • Maleficent
    • Edge of Tomorrow
    • How to Train Your Dragon 2
    • Transformers 4: Age of Extinction
    • Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
    • Hercules
    • Guardians of the Galaxy
    • Into the Storm
    • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    • The Expendables 3
    • Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
    • Lucy
  2. 2. Is this poll absolutely redundant/unnecessary?

One of the things about blockbusters is that they're expensive. Lucy was 40 million, Sin City cost almost twice that.

But the other thing is that it has to make money. Lots of it. Lucy, a film I also do not consider a blockbuster, made much more.

Yes, but we are talking about the supposed blockbusters here, not the actual blockbusters. Some films were supposed to make lots of money, but they never did. But they still belong in this category.

Karol

Depends on what you mean by 'Best Blockbuster'. You already said it, really. Intended blockbuster (Edge of Tomorrow), blockbuster by appearance (Into the Storm), or actual blockbuster (Transformers)?

Never heard of 'Lucy'.

It's basically Taken, but starring Scarlett.

It's an obscure piece of French cinema?

Do there Luc Besson films really count as proper blockbusters?

Fuck, you can be annoying sometimes, Stefan. Why don't you just see the film before you comment? It's nothing at all like TAKEN.

Anyways, I guess this topic will depend on how you define 'blockbuster', but I certainly don't see why LUCY doesn't qualify. It's a big budget sci fi extravaganza which has made a lot of money in its opening weeks now. Of course, it's ALSO a superb piece of cinematic artwork, but there's no reason why blockbusters can't be that as well.

So yeah, I maintain what I said earlier -- my favourite film (and blockbuster) of the year is LUCY, which for some reason is not on the list.

Its like Taken in the way that it's a Luc Besson produced action film.

No, this time he's actually DIRECTED it, and he's back in 90's shape.

I know you post a post here twice every nano-second, but sometimes it's useful to take a step back and think before you do.

Thanks, Karol. Voted!

There are a few of the other titles on the list that I liked too -- GODZILLA, EDGE OF TOMORROW, TRANSFORMERS 4, DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, THE EXPENDABLES 3.

Some that I thought were so-so: CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER, AMAZING SPIDERMAN 2.

One that I didn't like: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

And the rest, I haven't yet seen.

Nope. Then again, I don't usually like genre mixing and 'pointed ear' sci fi (with some exceptions). And even if I did, I don't think it succeeded very well. But it did have some nice vistas and use of 80's pop songs.

I prefer sci fi that takes itself extremely serious on all levels. I'm an extremely serious person.

I myself enjoyed it's lightheartedness and, quite unusual for modern films, innocence. But it's still a Marvel film, just with no superheroes. It's the same thing again, really. Nothing to write home about, same as all the other good summer flicks this year.

Karol

But there are so few pure sci-fi films. Even Blade Runner mixes genres.

OK, then. What I mean is the incorporation of comedy and 'quirk'.

It must be extremely serious.

Edge of Tomorrow was funnier actually.

Guardians of the Galaxy was funny, too. But the humour was a bit more calculated and less spontaneous.

Karol

I'm an extremely serious person.

Quoted for posterity.

Edge of Tomorrow was funnier actually.

Guardians of the Galaxy was funny, too. But the humour was a bit more calculated and less spontaneous.

The crocodile speaks the truth!

Never heard of 'Lucy'.

It's basically Taken, but starring Scarlett.

Haven't seen the film, but looks more like a more hyperactive variation of Limitless.

I enjoyed many of them to various degrees, but the one I had most fun watching was Edge of Tomorrow. It was the most consistent one quality-wise as well.

Karol

I felt the same way. I was impressed with How to Train Your Dragon 2 and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, as well, but Edge of Tomorrow just flew by for me and I had a surprisingly great time with it.

I've also seen Godzilla and Captain America 2, both of which I had mixed feelings on. I'll probably check out Guardians of the Galaxy at some point, if only to see what the fuss is about, but I'm in no rush to see the rest.

Guardians of the Galaxy. The most fun I've had in the theater in years.

This was an abnormally good year for summer blockbusters. There were several really good ones.

Captain America, X-Men, Edge of Tomorrow, and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes stand tall over all others.

Captain America does not belong.

It's a spring film but it's superior in every way to Godzilla which is only interesting when the monsters are there but fails simple because of Brian Cranston who sucks almost as bad as his wig.

It's an obscure piece of French cinema?

Do there Luc Besson films really count as proper blockbusters?

Do they count as proper films..?

I voted for "X-Men" simply because I liked it as much as "1st Class". Best individual scene, this Summer: the break-out/"Time In A Bottle" sequence. Funee!

I enjoyed "The Winter Soldier", even tho' I had absolutely no idea of what was going on. I only went to see ti because it has Robert Redford, and I'll watch anything with him in it.

It's the most buff film I have ever seen - and that's just the women. Honestly, if you're a gay man planning to see this film, pack a lot of tissues: you're gonna need 'em!

Winter Soldier is in no way mediocre. That's simply ludicrous. It's multilayered film that avoids end of the world scenarios. It's intelligent and we'll thought out.

Well it wasn't. Earth wasn't in DANGER of annihilation. It was the best "

Marvel" Film by far.

Well, at least I don't have to change my vote to Guardians of the Galaxy

Love your choice KM.

Guardians of the Galaxy is my sixth favorite on this list.