Williams starts scoring Episode VII in two (!) weeks..?

Sandor

I hope he doesn't quote old compositions note for note, like Flight from Peru in KOTCS. I find that incredibly jarring. I think the temptation to do just that will be great, given that the buzz they are going for is very Original Trilogy.

I agree. The random quotes of preexisting music in the prequels and Crystal Skull was just annoying and lazy.

TAKEN From the LSO WEBSITE

WHY HIRE THE LSO?

1. A World Class Orchestra
The LSO needs no introduction – London's oldest orchestra and one of the most famous and most recorded in the world, the LSO is renowned for its consistently high quality performance both in the concert hall and recording studio.

The LSO's speed at sight reading is second to none, saving clients lots of time. And to quote Alexandre Desplat, 'The LSO doesn’t just play the notes perfectly the first time, they play the music.'

2. Silence in studio
The LSO has a policy of maintaining complete silence whilst the conductor is on the podium for every recording session. All the companies, conductors and composers that work with the LSO say that we are the only orchestra to do this and it makes a huge difference to the amount of music that is taken per session, and to the concentration of both the conductor and the production team in the control box.

'Composers like myself who have been privileged to have their work performed and recorded by the LSO have had the ultimate experience - consummate musicianship, intuitive, sensitive, refined playing coupled with an extraordinary studio discipline and professionalism.'
Trevor Jones

3. Always the LSO
The LSO guarantees that the orchestra presented is indeed the LSO. The same Principal players will be available for every recording session during a project, and because all the players play together on a regular basis, there is a unity and cohesion of sound which is not obtained from a freelance orchestra. The only exception to this is when we have guest players, often on trial for LSO membership, or if the booking is made late, in which case we would book as many LSO members as possible and make sure of the quality we provide the client, often in discussion with the composer and/or conductor. The LSO NEVER accepts two conflicting engagements concurrently – this ensures the orchestra in the studio IS the LSO.

'The experience of performing and recording with the LSO, let alone composing for them, is unforgettable. Their meticulous attention to detail, tone production, emotional expression and effortless depth of understanding was an inspiration from the very first rehearsal to the final note of the performance. A dream come true.'

Nitin Sawhney

4. Self-governing
The LSO is self-governing and several of the Board of Directors and Orchestra Committee of the Board are playing members. The advantage of this system is that if there are any issues during the recording sessions – either technical or otherwise – the LSO Board, on behalf of its members, can take decisions to facilitate solutions, which the members then adhere to. This differs from a freelance orchestra where individuals do not have the same allegiance to their own company – all LSO members are shareholders in the London Symphony Orchestra Ltd and therefore have a strong sense of doing what is best for the client.

5. Top Principal Players
In addition to the consistently high quality of the whole Orchestra, many of the LSO’s Principals are international soloists in their own right, performing around the world as well as playing concertos and chamber works in LSO concerts. For example, composer Patrick Doyle was so impressed by the playing of one of our Leaders, Carmine Lauri, that the film score for As You Like It featured violin solos written especially for Carmine, and Patrick later wrote a concerto for him. The late Maurice Murphy, Principal Trumpet for 30 years, was featured in every episode of Star Wars since he opened the very first film in 1977 with the now famous theme.

'The standard of musicianship and technique is extraordinary and I am continually amazed and moved by their professionalism and commitment to my music and music in general.'

Patrick Doyle

6. Friendly
The warmth and friendliness of the LSO players is always commented on by composers, conductors and producers

I rest my case that the LSO with JW record the 7th score in London and not break with tradition

Well Stefancos - I think with George Lucas as consultant - I think Disney will ultimately concede to JW, George Lucas and JJ - in that order.

You give the best film composer in the world what he wants

JW is a traditionalist and Anglophile .

On the front of the LSO website - there is a small video of JW being interviewed about the LSO and how much he has enjoyed working with them- that is an honour indeed.

My guess is that September 2015 will see 2 or 3 x 5 day chunks of recordings between LSO concerts advertised in that month.

I'm sure we'll know by the New Year

I bet they won't use the London Symphony Orchestra. They didn't even film the Tatooine scenes in Tunisia! Even Lucas did that for the prequels! Clearly, expenses have been spared.

They didn't even film the Tatooine scenes in Tunisia! Even Lucas did that for the prequels! Clearly, expenses have been spared.

They filmed it in Dubai... I doubt it was cheaper...

Tunisia had political turmoil a few years ago. They may have preferred to film in a more stable place.

They didn't even film the Tatooine scenes in Tunisia! Even Lucas did that for the prequels! Clearly, expenses have been spared.

Tunisia had political turmoil a few years ago. They may have preferred to film in a more stable place.

This is -in fact- the case.

This is -in fact- the case.

Wasn't it also due to the Dubai tax credit? I don't think most people will see a noticeable difference once the movie comes out, save maybe the die-hard SW fans.

Not Canada!

Yeah! They should have shot the Tatooine scenes in Canada.

Stargate SG-1 got away with shooting desert scenes in Canada a few times. According to that show, Area 51 is surrounded shrub land from the Pacific Northwest.

Not Canada!

Yeah! They should have shot the Tatooine scenes in Canada.

Stargate SG-1 got away with shooting desert scenes in Canada a few times. According to that show, Area 51 is surrounded shrub land from the Pacific Northwest.
I saw a few desert-y areas in British Columbia, but they were all very mountainous in the distance. I howled when I watched an episode of The X-Files set in Nebraska or Kansas with huge Vancouver mountains in the backdrop.

As I've said before - maybe he can travel from New York - Southampton on a Cunard Queen Elizabeth transatlantic ocean going-the dates tie in but doe he not fly between LA and Boston for concerts when in America.

If its length of flight then split itin half if hrsore comfortable with that.

Ultimately his decision - just a damned shame Concorde was retired in 2003

I don't think it's going to be a huge loss if Williams records the full score in L.A.. The way he conducts and with Shawn Murphy mixing, it probably wouldn't sound that much different than at Abbey Road with the LSO.

I know folks are going to jump on me with the "Star Wars has that specific LSO sound" accusations, but I'm not a trained audiophile. I do know that orchestras have a certain sound. However, Williams always has the same group of L.A. musicians that have performed on his scores... they know what he wants and worked with one another.

I don't think it's going to be a huge loss if Williams records the full score in L.A.. The way he conducts and with Shawn Murphy mixing, it probably wouldn't sound that much different than at Abbey Road with the LSO.

I know folks are going to jump on me with the "Star Wars has that specific LSO sound" accusations, but I'm not a trained audiophile. I do know that orchestras have a certain sound. However, Williams always has the same group of L.A. musicians that have performed on his scores... they know what he wants and worked with one another.

I don't really care which orchestra gets to play it, but I do care about the recording itself as well. If Murphy is the recording engineer, I hope he'll record the score in the same way as he recorded The Adventures of Tintin. I think the microphone positioning was excellent there, and the sound was very clear and vibrant. The prequel trilogy scores were a bit too far-miked for my tastes, and the violins and the brass section sound much too thin, the horn section in particular - Revenge of the Sith has 8 horns in a lot of cues, but it sounds more like the horn section in Tintin, which consisted of only four horns in the action cues.

The LSO may be an excellent orchestra, but they aren't musicians trained to be able to play complicated music perfectly from the very first take. My former oboe teacher is a member of the Brussels Philharmonic, and although they're frequently employed for sessions work, they think it's a very stressful experience each time, as they are usually given a lot more time to practice the music. While I guess Williams gets more time to rehearse with the orchesta due to his position as a very experienced composer, I think even an accomplished orchestra like the LSO finds it to be a very stressful experience.

The L.A. musicians are trained for sessions playing - it's their job. While this doesn't mean they're never stressed during recording sessions, they're certainly more used to it, and they know how to get the balance right from the first take. I think this actually gives better results than employing an orchestra like the LSO, unless there really is a lot of rehearsal time (e.g. the Lord of the Rings trilogy with the LPO). The playing on Williams's last scores sounds excellent to me, Tintin in particular, so I really don't think anyone has to worry about the musicians employed. I'd be worried more about the recording.