Williams starts scoring Episode VII in two (!) weeks..?

Sandor

No one knows, but I'd have to guess the first teaser trailer will feature nothing but existing music, because Disney wants everyone to know there's a new Star Wars movie coming out, and that it's more like the OT than the PT, and features characters from the OT to boot. I'm expecting a nostalgic trailer for the first teaser, with not a whole lot revealed.

Later trailers might be a different story, but who really knows.

Well I assume whatever was recorded yesterday was timed to specifically fit the new teaser trailer. Plus it will be a perfect modern digital recording and not an analog recording from the 70s, etc.

Well I think that he probably recorded more than the teaser but at this point it's speculation until someone lays down the cold hard facts.

It would still be more original than Home Alone 2
HA 2 Was great. I love Christmas Star and Star of Bethlehem. The reprisals of Somewhere in my Memory were plesant and as far as how it played in the film everything seemed ok. But holy shizz the film was terrible.

RUMORS about the teaser trailer:

it'll be short. And when I say short, I mean one minute long. It's going to have The Force Theme played on woodwinds, softly, over flashing images of the main leads, each fading to black. There's no dialogue, just reveals of the characters. And then the music swells up into a full orchestral piece - perhaps what John Williams recorded this weekend? - and we hear a female voice, likely Daisy Ridley's, saying "Wake up."

http://badassdigest.com/2014/11/17/what-will-the-first-star-wars-the-force-awakens-trailer-contain

I love how he reworked the Duel of the Fates there! I guess they're trying to draw some parallels to all the key moments in the franchise?

And is that a variation of Across the Stars?

You mean in the counterpoint? Those flute runs?

Yeah. And do you hear some synth work underneath? Sounds kind of Zimmer-ish actually...

Ahhh, that's probably what makes this sound more organic than his usual stuff!

I'm really excited for the full score now! That organ/string slashing at 0:42 with "Korah Ratamah" screaming on top!!

A new full orchestral piece? That sounds good!

I think it means the music goes from the flutes solo to full orchestra. Not a new composition....

Well, I would say almost by definition it is a new composition. That being said, it will be a very short piece most likely using only existing themes.

Was wondering when someone would point that out ;)

Not sure. But for more cool/funky statements of the Erebor theme:

I remember seeing Monsters Inc. to see that teaser trailer! Whoever cut the prequel trailers together should win Oscars. Okay, the later Clones ones weren't very good, but that's because there was literally no good dialogue to use. Remember how all the good or decent lines from The Phantom Menace were used in the trailers and most of them were actually better takes than the ones used in the film? Sorry, I'm going off on a tangent here, but you got me all giddy with that Episode II trailer. I'm actually nostalgic for the days when it actually looked like it was going to be good and we had new Williams music left and right. Isn't that the Main Title from Close Encounters at the end?

Isn't that the Main Title from Close Encounters at the end?

I think thats from TESB, Departure of Boba Fett or Clash of Lightsabers.

Would they have used so many pieces of music in one minute? I'm guessing the piece will be similar to the Binary Sunset, which is coincidentally right around one minute. If they really want to capture the magic of the OT and specifically the original film, then the use of Binary Sunset is a no-brainer. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a new interpretation of the Force theme, though.

A NEW interpretation of the force theme would be awesome

The report may have mistaken "existing cues" with "existing themes"

That's true. Or the whole report could be wrong. Still, how many themes did they want to cram into a one minute teaser?

Still the best theme in all of Star Wars!

And always will be!