Williams starts scoring Episode VII in two (!) weeks..?

Sandor

Will the soundtrack probably be released in November or early December? I can't recall off the top of my head, but I believe the soundtracks for the PT were released in early May.

Will the soundtrack probably be released in November or early December? I can't recall off the top of my head, but I believe the soundtracks for the PT were released in early May.

Nobody knows yet dude.

I'd guess probably the week before the film comes out, though.

Let's see:

Star Wars

• Recording Sessions: March 5, 8-12, 15 & 16, 1977
  • Soundtrack Release: May 1977
  • Film Release: May 25, 1977

The Empire Strikes Back

• Recording Sessions: December 27–29, 1979 and January 7–10, 17 & 18, 1980
  • Soundtrack Release: May 1980
  • Film Release: May 21, 1980

Return of the Jedi

• Recording Sessions: January 17, 21, 22 & 31 and February 1, 3, 4 & 10, 1983
  • Soundtrack Release: May 1983
  • Film Release: May 25, 1983

The Phantom Menace

• Recording Sessions: February 5-6, 9-12 & 14-17, 1999
  • Soundtrack Release: May 4, 1999
  • Film Release: May 19, 1999

Attack of the Clones

• Recording Sessions: January 18–21, 23-24 & 26, 2002
  • Soundtrack Release: April 23, 2002
  • Film Release: May 16, 2002

Revenge of the Sith

• Recording Sessions: February 2–3, 7-9 & 12-13, 2005
  • Soundtrack Release: May 3, 2005
  • Film Release: May 19, 2005

Episode VII speculation

(Possible Hollywood Bowl concert dates: August 29 & 30, 2015)

• Recording Sessions: September 7-20, 2015 in Los Angeles
  • Soundtrack Release: December 1, 2015
  • Film Release: December 18, 2015 (confirmed)

Thank you Ricard - invaluable info as always

So it seems the August -September window of 2015 will most likely see the score being recorded

I do have a colleague in the classical music industry here in London with his fingers on the pulse

I will see/hear what he comes up with as and when

From my chats over the last few days with colleagues in the film industry here- what with the old cast - the filming predominantly in the UK with pick up shots too - to not use the LSO will I think prove to be a negative .

My gut reaction is that JW will score the film with them

As George Lucas is still a consultant on the film and with his strong advocacy and support in using the LSO for the past 6 films - I think we shall see a press release shortly about the orchestra that will be used.

yes, that's about 100% certain

I hope it's not a Attack of the Clones /Chamber of Secrets rush job because of Catch Me if you Can (or Minority Report)

Thank you Ricard - invaluable info as always

So it seems the August -September window of 2015 will most likely see the score being recorded

I do have a colleague in the classical music industry here in London with his fingers on the pulse

I will see/hear what he comes up with as and when

From my chats over the last few days with colleagues in the film industry here- what with the old cast - the filming predominantly in the UK with pick up shots too - to not use the LSO will I think prove to be a negative .

My gut reaction is that JW will score the film with them

As George Lucas is still a consultant on the film and with his strong advocacy and support in using the LSO for the past 6 films - I think we shall see a press release shortly about the orchestra that will be used.

I'm sure that we would all like to see JW use the LSO, but is he a bit too old (and/or frail) to fly?

Well Ricard - if can walk on stage and still conduct and fly around the US to conduct orchestras that doesn't indicate to me that frailty has caught up with him as yet.

As I've mentioned before - travelling on the Queen Mary 2 from New York to Southampton and then by car to London could be an alternative too . The dates for scoring could tie up too as QM2 departs on Aug 4 and 19 and Sept 4 taking 3 days - oohh and no possible fear of Icebergs or of hearing Horners Titanic playing as escalator music on the ship

Well, we know John Takis is actually Jim Ware, Donna Lackluster is Allice Bralice and and that Ren is Joey, so we have had cases of double identities before

Well, we know John Takis is actually Jim Ware, Donna Lackluster is Allice Bralice and and that Ren is Joey, so we have had cases of double identities before

Serious!?

Yes Gistech-I am well aware that Disney have bought the rights to the Star Wars franchise-i was merely pointing out that the Alfred Newman 20th century fox and opening JW Star Wars scroll music combo will be missed by quite a few that were brought up with it after seeing it all those years ago from the very start in 1977--and yes we all have to move on when distribution rights change but it will be missed.

As for the AFM and their policy regarding recording film scores in the US or abroad (and i cite the Lionsgate offshoring issue) if members of that union were asked to go to Europe or Australia or the UK to perform-do you think that musician is going to say no-so why deny musicians of excellence like the LSO coming to do a tour or work on a score in the US -sounds biased to me.

It doesnt matter whether a company like Lionsgate gets US tax credits-they are a global company like all the other major film companies who have divisions and studios worldwide-tax credits are given by the irish government-the czechs etc. Films made in the US have been scored in London and vice versa since moving film was created a century ago. These goalposts are never going to change.

The reason AFM made such a fuss about Lionsgate recording the Hunger Games score in London is because 1) Lionsgate doesn't have a AFM contract like the Big Six (Disney, WB, Sony, Universal, Paramount) do, 2) Pete Anthony reportedly worked on the score (uncredited) while picketing, and 3) They see a big franchise they could've collected re-use fees for. Lionsgate has some films in their library that have recorded with AFM musicians, mainly Tyler Perry's films, but they were a small mini-major that saved money by utilizing non-union recording sessions. It's the same deal with other companies like Alcon Entertainment and Marvel Studios -- they opt for non-union recordings since they save money in the long run.

I'm sure Disney and Lucasfilm would love to record Episode VII's score in the UK with the LSO, but it's all up to Williams if he's able to make the journey or delegate conducting work to someone like Ross or Conrad Pope while working remotely. Frankly, if Williams opts to keep conducting but doesn't want to journey to London -- it'd make sense to record with L.A. musicians.

I've actually met Ren, and she was a woman, meaning Joe must be one too, which he is not.

I'm friends with both Alice and Donna and they are quite different persons.

But yes, John Takis and Jim Ware are the same person.

I hope there are plenty of opportunities in this film for John to write earnestly in his more evocative and colorful textural style, rather than just a bunch of big tunes. The prequels had their moments, but not enough.

I hope he doesn't quote old compositions note for note, like Flight from Peru in KOTCS. I find that incredibly jarring. I think the temptation to do just that will be great, given that the buzz they are going for is very Original Trilogy.