Michael Giacchino's Tomorrowland (2015)

Jay

I dunno why labels release things on different days and different countries still in 2015.

I'm looking forward to listening to the 30 second previews, 60 seconds previews, 90 second, 2 minute, 2 and a half minute previews, until the entire score is a preview because they left off 1 second of music still to hear if you buy the CD.

The only thing I can find on Amazon UK is a huge version of the cover art

81b1xzrP5nL._SL1500_.jpg

Meanwhile in the US, the digital version is up everywhere

I dunno why labels release things on different days and different countries still in 2015.

Yeah, seems pointless in this era of internet.

Karol

Well if anybody else wants to do more theme hunting feel free to expand / correct me on my first pass-through

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=1128674

There's also another 7 note theme, a Heroic one, that shows up 2-3 times, usually surrounded by the other 7-note theme.

Can't wait to see the movie on Saturday or Sunday

I think the problem with this score, like many modern Giacchino's, is going right into this massive 73 minute presentation on your first listen. Say there was a 40 minute option, and you only heard that at first, you'd get to know the score and its themes better and then want to seek out extra music eventually, instead of just having it all right away.

It took me a while to get into Dawn of the Apes and John Carter for this reason, and others struggled with Super 8 for the same reason too

Jerry Goldsmith was right as it turns out, when he favored the 45 minute format.

More like 30 minute format actually. He got soft in his older years and started to release those 45-50 minute albums.

It depends on the score, really. Getting Star Trek 09 and Star Trek Into Darkness as 77 minute versions right away would have been fine.

Same for Williams' Star Wars 7 score. A 40 minute release of that would make no sense, I'm sure.

I think his Star Trek scores absolutely do, but even I will admit that I can distill my favorite Giacchino score, Super 8, down a perfectly acceptable 45 minute presentation.

I always think this depends on the score, but ironically, I feel like I need the complete score to make this judgement...

There's also long scores like the LOTR ones where I would put most of it, and my listen would be divided in several parts, instead of everything from start to finish.

I always think this depends on the score, but ironically, I feel like I need the complete score to make this judgement...

I agree with that!

Yes, there are scores that are more effective in a shorter presentation, but what if they assemble it with the wrong cues? It's like I'm being deceived! But a lot of people aren't used to assemble personalized presentations of scores...

Even more people - read: soundtrack fans - are more interested in a slavish recreation of a movie's soundtrack than a musically sound presentation.

Just got my hands on it. Really liking it so far, lots of balance from slower mysterious pieces, into big adventurous pieces and then nicely broken up with some darker villain stuff. Enjoying it a lot. I think the light-hearted feel of it all, even the darker moments, makes it immediately more fun to listen to.

Just came back from a press screening here in Norway. The film is very uneven (first act is rather bad with cutesy children talking like adults -- except an impressive one-take shot), second act is reasonably good (lots of 'steampunk') while the third is rather generic. The music is OK, but I have the same problem with this as I do most Giacchino scores -- lots of movements up and down the scale, but with very few defined themes to latch on to ("pretty orchestral music that doesn't really go anywhere").

Giacchino's cameo was cute, though. Plenty of product placement too, and when they enter a toy store at one point, there's plenty of references to previous Disney films (as well as Brad Bird's own THE IRON GIANT) as well as a myriad of STAR WARS items and references, now that they've acquired that particular franchise as well.

I'll give it 3 out of 6 overall.

Thor, I obviously haven't seen the film, but on album the themes are easy to pick out. I noted locations of the 4 major themes here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=1128674

Maybe you can listen and help us figure out what they might represent?

I am guessing one is for George Clooney's character, one for Casey, maybe one for Hugh Laurie's character?

There are also minor themes for the robots and I think another villain theme, and I think a theme for Tomorrowland itself.

Why out of 6?

Norwegian custom. Most mainstream press rolls a dice.

Thor, I obviously haven't seen the film, but on album the themes are easy to pick out. I noted locations of the 4 major themes here:

Maybe you can listen and help us figure out what they might represent?

I am guessing one is for George Clooney's character, one for Casey, maybe one for Hugh Laurie's character?

There are also minor themes for the robots and I think another villain theme, and I think a theme for Tomorrowland itself.

There's definitely a Tomorrowland theme (the most overt, and the best, IMO). But I may be confusing it with Casey's theme. They're rather similar, if memory serves. But I've only seen it once, and since the music didn't really strike me (even though there ARE obviously themes), I don't think I could identify the leitmotifs.

FYP for you. To embed a youtube video, simply paste the URL (without any junk after the "Watch?V=blahblah" part) and the board automatically embeds.

I like it more than Jupiter Ascending, but less than John Carter. I think.

It's much more light than those "heavier" scores. Maybe closer to Sky High.

OK then. I won't have time to listen before tomorrow at least so that's why I'm asking.

I'm expecting Inside Out to be the best of three new ones, by the way.

Karol

I also expect that to be the case, and have mentioned so before on this board.

You see, Jupiter Ascending is my favourite Giacchino live action score so not sure what does that mean for me...

Karol

I had the chance to listen to the first few cues. Was not very impressed. Jupiter Ascending definitely sounds stronger, but it's still early for me to tell.

You see, Jupiter Ascending is my favourite Giacchino live action score so not sure what does that mean for me...

Karol

I had the chance to listen to the first few cues. Was not very impressed. Jupiter Ascending definitely sounds stronger, but it's still early for me to tell.

I think it really picks up from 'Edge of Tomorrowland' onwards.

Just heard this score and thought it was pretty "meh". It was a pleasant, harmless listening experience but not much more for me. I can see what he was going for given the film's subject, but I guess that's just not my style. I MUCH prefer his score to Jupiter Ascending, which continues to get better for me on repeat listens. It's a huge epic score in comparison to this. Granted, that movie was also meant to be so as well (even though it wasn't).

I like this score, but I will say this about it:

I listened to it 3 times yesterday all the way through plus a few more selects tracks again after that. My phone told me it was on Spotify as soon as I woke up, so I listened to it while getting ready, while driving to work, all day long at work, and while driving home. But once I was home, it wasn't any themes from this score that was stuck in my head... it was Chris Tilton's SimCity theme that I had running through my head at the end of the day up until bed time. I dunno what that means, but there it is.

I do think this score would be more amazing had I never heard Tilton's SimCity or Seiter's Star Trek scores before, since this score cribs from both of them. Never seen someone do that to their proteges before!

There's definately some highlight cues::

Edge of Tomorrowland

Pin Ultimate Experience

What an Eiffel!

Pins of a Feather